A word of caution to anyone considering the Epi Tropical Felicie....

Question for those of you who have experienced defects in your LV bags (as this seems to be happening more often lately) - have you had any problems returning them if the defect appears after the return period is over? I don't plan to use this bag until the spring, and my concern is the the cracking might appear later. Even though my SA said I can return it, I'm worried that it will be a hassle if it is way past the month-long return period.

I can't remember if LV has a one or two year warranty. It may be a one year replace, two year repair for defects.
I had a Neverfull with the notorious cracking handle issue. Had the bag a year, LV replaced the handles. Came upon year two, LV replaced the handles again. I had a Citadine in Empreinte (a leather that cannot be repaired). I used it six times in 14 months and it had a glazing issue, which was well known at the time (2013). LV said, "Emprieinte cannot be repaired and the defect was on the body of the bag, where the whole bag would need to be replaced. We're not replacing your whole bag." That's when I refused to buy an (extremely) expensive bag from LV ever again.

Check with the website(?) or call CS to ask about the warranty on defects. That's something that should be known by the consumer or written down and signed by the SA who said she'd accept the defect at a later date. On the back of a business card, have her write out her guarantee to cover the discussed defect, date it and sign (and maybe have the manager sign). Written documentation helps if there is a later conflict. Most LV products cost a good amount of money and you want to make sure they're covered.

Last edited:
I can't remember if LV has a one or two year warranty. It may be a one year replace, two year repair for defects.
I had a Neverfull with the notorious cracking handle issue. Had the bag a year, LV replaced the handles. Came upon year two, LV replaced the handles again. I had a Citadine in Empreinte (a leather that cannot be repaired). I used it six times in 14 months and it had a glazing issue, which was well known at the time (2013). LV said, "Emprieinte cannot be repaired and the defect was on the body of the bag, where the whole bag would need to be replaced. We're not replacing your whole bag." That's when I refused to buy an (extremely) expensive bag from LV ever again.

Check with the website(?) or call CS to ask about the warranty on defects.

LV has no warranty as far as I'm aware.

(as this seems to be happening more often lately) .

Somebody was saying in another thread that a SA at the store may not be aware that the recent complaints have increased because that is one store, one SA and one customer.

I doubt any of these companies follow these boards and if they did they may think we are blowing the normal wear and tear out of proportion although pictures definitely validate these claims.

I was talking to an elderly co-worker who told me that when she bought her first freezer it lasted for 30 years and her second freezer from the same company lasted less than five years.

I don't watch much television, but my parents claim Ford or some other car manufacturer promised their vehicles were, " Built to last." Not sure if that commercial still runs.

A vendor for Hermes wristband watches said that they were designed to last 12 months. A $2,000 item lasting for one year?

I have seen vintage bags that are in better condition than five year old handbags.

I understand sometimes companies will produce items that are just bad batches and I understand they don't expect a product to last for years, either because they wouldn't stay in business either.

How long should we as a customer expect a luxury item to last? What is a reasonable time period? Because I am sorry, but $2,000 in 12 months is just too short for me.

Somebody was saying in another thread that a SA at the store may not be aware that the recent complaints have increased because that is one store, one SA and one customer.

I doubt any of these companies follow these boards and if they did they may think we are blowing the normal wear and tear out of proportion although pictures definitely validate these claims.

I was talking to an elderly co-worker who told me that when she bought her first freezer it lasted for 30 years and her second freezer from the same company lasted less than five years.

I don't watch much television, but my parents claim Ford or some other car manufacturer promised their vehicles were, " Built to last." Not sure if that commercial still runs.

A vendor for Hermes wristband watches said that they were designed to last 12 months. A $2,000 item lasting for one year?

I have seen vintage bags that are in better condition than five year old handbags.

I understand sometimes companies will produce items that are just bad batches and I understand they don't expect a product to last for years, either because they wouldn't stay in business either.

How long should we as a customer expect a luxury item to last? What is a reasonable time period? Because I am sorry, but $2,000 in 12 months is just too short for me.

Just to clarify the statement from Hermes... The SA means that on average clients tend to replace their watch bands every year. This is because if one wears their watch every day, the build up of sweat, humidity, bodily salts and bacteria tend to wear away the leather. However if you work a desk job and remove the watch while doing strenuous physical activity and live in a cool climate where you do not sweat a significant amount, then the strap could last years (5+).

Reactions: danny123 and litchi

I know that in Europe there is a proposed (possibly enforced already) ban on planned obsolescence -- the manufacturing strategy for ensuring people need to replace goods after a certain time. A popular case study on this topic in the incandescent bulb. They used to last decades, but an agreement between manufacturers lowered the performance so consumers would need to replace them, creating a more long-term business for the producers. Bizarre but true. This happens a lot in fashion as well -- using thread or stitching techniques that are inappropriate for a certain fabric so that it will wear more quickly. Sad.

I know that in Europe there is a proposed (possibly enforced already) ban on planned obsolescence -- the manufacturing strategy for ensuring people need to replace goods after a certain time. A popular case study on this topic in the incandescent bulb. They used to last decades, but an agreement between manufacturers lowered the performance so consumers would need to replace them, creating a more long-term business for the producers. Bizarre but true. This happens a lot in fashion as well -- using thread or stitching techniques that are inappropriate for a certain fabric so that it will wear more quickly. Sad.
Thanks for this very informative post. Even light bulbs? Wow. I would love everything I purchase to last forever, but I am sure it is programmed to have a shelf life. As I mentioned when I was speaking with my coworker I asked her, "When you go into a high-end department store how long do you expect a purchase to last you?"

She thought about it for a second and responded,

"It depends on what it is."

I was telling her about all the recent complaints about LV and some of the other designers here. And we love LV. We love all these luxury designers. I am not trying to demonize or bash these companies. She said, " Things are not built to last like they use to be."

It is the nature of the beast. SA are doing their job to say, " normal wear and tear."

I wonder if after a product is made whether a dress, a handbag or any designer item, if it is tested? Would that be the same as a sample? A lot of appliances or vehicles are tested for one to two years or maybe not before being released to the public. I think if companies started having their employees use the product for a year or even a few months they would be able to see these are legitimate complaints.

As much as I enjoy looking at the posts about celebrities with their designer items on this forum I am subconsciously thinking to myself how much money did they really spend on that item? Maybe they got a hefty discount or for free because that is advertising for that brand? Yet, some may have paid full price, too.

I remember my friend's son would say when something broke, " Shoot, I have to go to Wally's tomorrow and get another one." It would always make me laugh. She said her husband would say that when something broke, so the child was mimicking(sp?) his dad.

Last edited:
Just to clarify the statement from Hermes... The SA means that on average clients tend to replace their watch bands every year. This is because if one wears their watch every day, the build up of sweat, humidity, bodily salts and bacteria tend to wear away the leather. However if you work a desk job and remove the watch while doing strenuous physical activity and live in a cool climate where you do not sweat a significant amount, then the strap could last years (5+).
It wasn't an SA, but a vendor who sourced alligator skins for their wristband watches, on a documentary on YT, on a hidden camera. He said people who buy Hermes watches for $2,000 had "money to burn, throwaway money, money to lose." I won't post the video as it is grotesque in nature.

I was so excited when my Epi Tropical Felicie arrived yesterday (ordered online), and I posted a couple of pics in the February and Spring threads. However, I inspected the bag more closely late last night and found cracking in the leather. I'll post a pic here. So, I brought it to the store this morning and the SA brought out the three that she had in stock. Of the three, two of them had the same cracking issue! I couldn't believe it. I was tempted to just return it and get something else because this is obviously not an isolated issue with this bag, but I just love the print so much that I'm giving it a chance. Hopefully, it doesn't end up happening on the one I bought.

I also decided that I didn't need the Rose Ballerine Felicie too, so I exchanged it for an Empreinte Twice in black.

Here is a pic of the cracking on my Felicie, near the bottom:

View attachment 3602634

I'm dead[emoji43] As much as this bag cost, I would have gotten a new one with out the crack, or traded it for an completely different style.
After purchasing LV for 30 years, I've witnessed such a decline in craftsmanship that doesn't go hand and hand with the price increases, which is really tragic because Louis Vuitton bags are really beautiful and breathtaking, but, I feel that the brand doesn't really know in what direction it's going in. [emoji22]

Check with the website(?) or call CS to ask about the warranty on defects. That's something that should be known by the consumer or written down and signed by the SA who said she'd accept the defect at a later date. On the back of a business card, have her write out her guarantee to cover the discussed defect, date it and sign (and maybe have the manager sign). Written documentation helps if there is a later conflict. Most LV products cost a good amount of money and you want to make sure they're covered.
i didn't know this about empreinte and yet i have two large pieces. can you direct me to a thread or further info. on this leather or how you got to know this info.? tia

Thanks for this very informative post. Even light bulbs? Wow. I would love everything I purchase to last forever, but I am sure it is programmed to have a shelf life. As I mentioned when I was speaking with my coworker I asked her, "When you go into a high-end department store how long do you expect a purchase to last you?"

She thought about it for a second and responded,

"It depends on what it is."

I was telling her about all the recent complaints about LV and some of the other designers here. And we love LV. We love all these luxury designers. I am not trying to demonize or bash these companies. She said, " Things are not built to last like they use to be."

It is the nature of the beast. SA are doing their job to say, " normal wear and tear."

I wonder if after a product is made whether a dress, a handbag or any designer item, if it is tested? Would that be the same as a sample? A lot of appliances or vehicles are tested for one to two years or maybe not before being released to the public. I think if companies started having their employees use the product for a year or even a few months they would be able to see these are legitimate complaints.

As much as I enjoy looking at the posts about celebrities with their designer items on this forum I am subconsciously thinking to myself how much money did they really spend on that item? Maybe they got a hefty discount or for free because that is advertising for that brand? Yet, some may have paid full price, too.

I remember my friend's son would say when something broke, " Shoot, I have to go to Wally's tomorrow and get another one." It would always make me laugh. She said her husband would say that when something broke, so the child was mimicking(sp?) his dad.

Yeah, the trend is real and unavoidable. I just find myself trying to avoid trend-sensitive pieces in general. I buy quality shoes and have them resolved every year. I take good care of my things. It makes a difference. I have H&M dresses that I've owned for a decade that still look great!

About LV specifically, I have a speedy from the 80s that I love. It is imperfect for sure (handles are different thicknesses, for example) but it's the real deal. That canvas could shelter me in a storm, I swear. Times change, and that's fine. But I'm stuffocating a little and would actually prefer to just have a few good things I absolutely love than an ever-changing collection of new and different items. I guess I'm getting old haha!

I'm dead[emoji43] As much as this bag cost, I would have gotten a new one with out the crack, or traded it for an completely different style.
After purchasing LV for 30 years, I've witnessed such a decline in craftsmanship that doesn't go hand and hand with the price increases, which is really tragic because Louis Vuitton bags are really beautiful and breathtaking, but, I feel that the brand doesn't really know in what direction it's going in. [emoji22]
I think they know what direction they are going in and know what they are doing.

It hasn't happened to me but I rotate my bags (all designers) a lot. I have been looking at some bags recently and can tell you that the newer canvas bags don't seem as good as the older ones. The empreinte leather seem good quality.

As I tried some of the new canvas bags, I saw "pressure/stress points" on them. When I got home, I checked the for sale pre-loved ones and they had canvas cracks in the questioned areas, so it wasn't my imagination. These were the 2016 bags.

I think they know what direction they are going in and know what they are doing.

Really??? I don't know, and this is my option; but, the quality is just not the same. I have 3 Speedy bags that I've purchased over a span of 30 years, and the first two quality is exceptional! The third one, even though I rotate my bags often, is not holding up half as well as the older ones.
Maybe LV is attempting to keep the brand fresh by introducing various canvas and colors, which are beautiful; yet, if I'm going to give ANYBODY 2,000 plus for a handbag, I want the quality to reflect the cost! I'm just saying [emoji848]