A Warning for Coach eBayers!

CJ505

O.G.
Mar 30, 2009
I hope this post is in the right place!
I had listed a purse of mine on eBay that I haven't been using to free up some Christmas $, and I got an message from someone saying "Hi, I would love to carry this bag. I am the mother of three on a limited income. Would you consider a BIN of 75.00? I would love to be able to afford to carry this gorgeous bag." Now, that is almost half off from what I had listed, but I went in to her profile, and for someone with a "limited income" she seemed to have made a lot of expensive purchases! Then, I went to see what she was currently selling, and there were SIX Coach bags that she had bough recently and was listing for quite a bit more!! ex. Holiday patchwork duffle bough a week ago for $60, now listed for $145, and a Legacy tote bought for $199, selling for $275.

Now, I don't have a problem with scooping up a great deal on eBay and trying to make a profit, but how dare you send a sob story email to try to get a better price? I wonder how many people she tried this on and it worked? People and their sick scamming just make me SO MAD! :cursing:

OK end rant, and I just wanted to warn you all, if someone sends you a message like this, do some detective work before you decide to "help them out!"

Wow - that eBayer is a turdwipe. I hope you sent them a message telling them what you found, so maybe they'll stop their scamming. Or tell them that if they want to buy your bag, they should get some of theirs sold so they can afford your BIN. :graucho:

Doing what I can to share new words with my fellow tPFers. :biggrin: My husband calls our puppy 'turdhammer' when she's being clingy. "Come here, turdhammer, I'll rub your tummy while Mommy does the dishes." :biggrin: THe funny words are probably the best benefit of being a Navy wife.

I had listed a purse of mine on eBay that I haven't been using to free up some Christmas $, and I got an message from someone saying "Hi, I would love to carry this bag. I am the mother of three on a limited income. Would you consider a BIN of 75.00? I would love to be able to afford to carry this gorgeous bag." Now, that is almost half off from what I had listed, but I went in to her profile, and for someone with a "limited income" she seemed to have made a lot of expensive purchases! Then, I went to see what she was currently selling, and there were SIX Coach bags that she had bough recently and was listing for quite a bit more!! ex. Holiday patchwork duffle bough a week ago for $60, now listed for $145, and a Legacy tote bought for $199, selling for $275.

Now, I don't have a problem with scooping up a great deal on eBay and trying to make a profit, but how dare you send a sob story email to try to get a better price? I wonder how many people she tried this on and it worked? People and their sick scamming just make me SO MAD! :cursing:

OK end rant, and I just wanted to warn you all, if someone sends you a message like this, do some detective work before you decide to "help them out!"

When I first read this I was ticked, and still am, but she seems to know exactly what she's doing. She is fishing for someone who is desperate enough (especially at this time of year) for money who would be willing to sell at such a low price. I'm not so sure she's a scammer (a liar, definitely) but a slick opportunist.

i listed something on craigslist and got one of those im a mother of 3 with no time or money from TWO different people WORD FOR WORD the exact same thing. i was shocked and they both wanted to pay with couriers check and they said they'd throw in an extra $25 and i was like no i thought you were poor and i don't accept fake checks lol

I think I also got her! She wanted me to come down 1/2 of my price because she needed it so bad and only had xxx $ . I just had a bad feeling like maybe she was reselling what she was trying to buy.

It is one of the biggest scams out there. The "I am getting disability payments" yada yada.

You did a great job on researching it.

If you look hard enough, she probably has a selling ID. Alot of times, they do the offer scam, figuring out their profit margin for flipping it. Then they make you a lowball offer so they can flip it at a profit.

Oh wow. I'm a mom of 3 with a limited income as well (I only work PT), but I would never dream of doing that. She should try what I do: not buying a luxury item like a Coach bag until she has saved up for it!! How do these people sleep at night?? :nogood: