A vintage classic speedy as a gift?

emms2381

Nov 1, 2011
So... oportunity arises when I have to gift my sister simething for her birthday... before she married and had kids she was always into higher end fashion but never had expensive handbags... mainly top end high street, I always loved her clothes and used to die when she told me she spend £50 on a belt!!

So .. fast forward 3 or 4 years and shes not wearing her higher end brands... I still spend very little on clothes but a tonne on shoes and bags....

Its her birthday soon (as well as christmas) and in all honestly I want to gift her something beautiful and lasting... previous years its always been a wallet (never LV) or pandora I have never stretched over £100 on her because my family would react weird, also I never really could afford to since I have 2 kids and financial commitments.

Which brings me to my next question.... I can afford a little more this year.... I am thinking about a vintage preloved speedy.... in great condition....

Shes kinda always oggled over my handbags... but I dont currently own any mono print anymore.

Shes 34... I never really "digged" the mono print myself but I think this maybe a good gift..

Soooo... would you guys be offended if you were gifted a second hand beautifully looked after classic speedy?? Would you think it was a bit over the top for your age (if you were her age)

Or should I stick to what I know... perfume... pandora.... etc??

Or maybe a pochette in damier or mono.... I would have to go the preloved route at the minute as I truely cannot afford to justify a new purchase... (sucks I know) maybe I shouldnt give in to my own LV temptations first huh)

Honest opinions would be awesome!

I'm 33 and have a classic mono 30 speedy that I use every single day. I have used her nonstop since I purchased her in April. And I had wanted one since I was 19. Honestly my first thought about gifting pre loved is that it's not the best idea. It might be ok though since its for your sister and only if you could find one in excellent, almost mint condition. And you can find great pieces for great deals. I just bought a preloved toiletry 19 pouch on eBay and saved $130 as oppose to buying directly from LV. I think it just depends on the giver, the receiver and their relationship. Hope this helps!!!

I'm 33 and have a classic mono 30 speedy that I use every single day. I have used her nonstop since I purchased her in April. And I had wanted one since I was 19. Honestly my first thought about gifting pre loved is that it's not the best idea. It might be ok though since its for your sister and only if you could find one in excellent, almost mint condition. And you can find great pieces for great deals. I just bought a preloved toiletry 19 pouch on eBay and saved $130 as oppose to buying directly from LV. I think it just depends on the giver, the receiver and their relationship. Hope this helps!!!

Thanks this is a great answer... since you dont know either of us.

She tells me not to bother but I want to get her something special... I remember ages ago she always loved monogram LV but that maybe in her younger years when she was more into fashion and had a bit of money..... but I dunno, I think maybe it might be a case of I want her to have something which she could savour...

I am unsure lol.... she might hate the fact I have bought her a monogram item (i aint keen) or she may treasure it....??? But Mono was my lv starting point... and since then I went mad lol maybe it will start her on a crazy downward skintward slope and drain her pocket LOL (kiddin) but thats how it started for me...

Hehehe

Great...thank you. I was debating in my own head... Shes my sister I never went wrong with any gifts in the past but nice to know this may have a few downfalls.

Can I ask why? Would you be offended if your bloke bought you a preloved item? X

I would buy pre-loved for myself but I think it's tacky to buy pre-loved for others. Just not part of the gift-giving etiquette.

Thanks this is a great answer... since you dont know either of us.

She tells me not to bother but I want to get her something special... I remember ages ago she always loved monogram LV but that maybe in her younger years when she was more into fashion and had a bit of money..... but I dunno, I think maybe it might be a case of I want her to have something which she could savour...

I am unsure lol.... she might hate the fact I have bought her a monogram item (i aint keen) or she may treasure it....??? But Mono was my lv starting point... and since then I went mad lol maybe it will start her on a crazy downward skintward slope and drain her pocket LOL (kiddin) but thats how it started for me...

Hehehe

We all have opinions, but my best advice is to go with your gut. Good luck deciding and please let us know what you decide to do!

I would buy pre-loved for myself but I think it's tacky to buy pre-loved for others. Just not part of the gift-giving etiquette.

Ok... you make a fair and personal point. I guess when I can stretch out a little more financially I may be able to take her and let her choose... haha doubt she will would pick a speedy though... she would be a child in a sweet shop.

On the otherhand, I wish that maybe someone gifted me my first Louis... either preloved or new... haha then I could of pointed the finger on my crazy handbag nightmare. X

Yes, resist the impulse to gift a used bag. It's just not the gesture you imagine it to be, although you have kind intentions. It still remains a used item, and loads of people are germ phobic and/or prefer to break their own items in from the start.

Get her something nice and not previously owned, no matter the category.

How about a new mini pochette in monogram? It would be new, special, perfect for a mom on the go, and can also be used for a night out with the hubby. Good luck! What a thoughtful gift!