a tiny bit of blood in my puppy's pee...

aaallabama

r.i.p. my angel
O.G.
May 7, 2006
i just found it on his wee-wee pad & it's the 1st time it's happened...he's a 6 month old, neutered male bichon frise puppy (paddington)...he's been acting totally fine today & tonight, so i don't know what's up...we got back from his weekly puppy play group 2 hours ago & he had a blast...should i rush him to the ER tonight or can he be seen by his regular vet tomorrow (?)...he's not showing any signs of distress & i don't know what to do :s:shrugs::wondering

Yes, if he is not showing any signs of distress, not panting, and is eating, etc. I would take him tomorrow. Can you get in tomorrow?

Yes, if he is not showing any signs of distress, not panting, and is eating, etc. I would take him tomorrow. Can you get in tomorrow?

^^ thanks sweetie, he's acting totally fine otherwise (eating, drinking, not panting)...they asked me that over the phone too, just to make sure...my DH will be home & can take him tomorrow, so that won't be a problem...i'll call 1st thing in the AM when they open & make an appointment...my poor little baby boy, i hope he's not too uncomfortable :sad:

I would wait for the morning. I am sure they will do everything they can to get him. And worst case, you may have to drop him off so they can get a urine sample. If you can, you can always try to get one on your own. Just make sure that you don't use a glass jar that has had anything sugary in it. You can try using a tupperware. When he is going to pee, just try to get the container under him. When I worked as a vet tech, one owner swore by taping a tuperware to the end of a yardstick. If you can't get it, don't worry. It's sometimes dogs may hold it when they are at the vet office.

^^ thanks so much for your comments everyone!!!...he just did another pee-pee & this time, no blood (*phew*)...we'll take him to our vet a.s.a.p. tomorrow & i'll report back...thanks again for being there for us!!! :tender:

when my bichon was seven he started peeing blood every so often. i brought him to the vet and it turned out he had bladder stones, so surgery was necessary. he's now on a prescription diet and is not allowed treats or human food.

i doubt that your little guy has the same thing since he's so young. plus, my dog was peeing A LOT more than just a little blood. hope he's okay!

^^ welp, my DH brought paddington to the vet this AM & they put him on antibiotics...they didn't provide a diagnosis, but did some bloodwork (which we'll get back in a few days)...they said if he's got an infection, the meds will knock it out...i guess they don't think his symptoms require x-rays or anything yet...but we'll definitely keep a close eye on him & his pee-pee (lol!!!)...thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies :hugs:

^^ welp, my DH brought paddington to the vet this AM & they put him on antibiotics...they didn't provide a diagnosis, but did some bloodwork (which we'll get back in a few days)...they said if he's got an infection, the meds will knock it out...i guess they don't think his symptoms require x-rays or anything yet...but we'll definitely keep a close eye on him & his pee-pee (lol!!!)...thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies :hugs:

Good to hear, bama...hope Paddington's bloodwork comes back normal and the meds do the trick. I love his name, by the way!