a SERIOUS issue - :( - my first ever chanel is RUINED

Oct 29, 2010
i am SO angry at myself, i have been using my jumbo caviar daily, and got it in november, the problem is ... i have been storing it near my window (sunlight has affected), and there has been a MAJOR dis-colouration :sad:

ive compared it to my sisters jumbo and we both bought it at the same time,,, there is a HUGE difference. ... why am i so stupid?!! arrrgghhhhhh im soo angry at myself, its a black beauty but it seriously looks DULL

what can i do??!!

Last edited:
i am SO angry at myself, i have been using my jumbo caviar daily, and got it in november, the problem is ... i have been storing it near my window (sunlight has affected), and there has been a MAJOR dis-colouration :sad:

ive compared it to my sisters jumbo and we both bought it at the same time,,, there is a HUGE difference. ... why am i so stupid?!! arrrgghhhhhh im soo angry at myself, its a black beauty but it seriously looks DULL

what can i do??!!

Send it to Chanel for a spa treatment...

Yikes! Bring it back into Chanel. It's time for a spa treatment. You're still covered under warranty. Keep us posted.

I believe the warranty only applies if there is a defect. It does not apply to negligence. If spa treatment is required, which in this case will probably require restoration of the color, will require a fee.

In all likelihood Chanel will have to redye the bag which is not a bad thing in the scheme of things. After constant use for several years the black lamb had to go in for spa and it came back looking brand spanking new. (They exchanged the chains, too, that had dulled as well as performing a miracle on the faded leather.) The result was so dramatic that my jaw dropped and my eyes lit up. Simply amazing!! Of course that was back in the good old days; however, these folks resurrect the neglected, the unfortunate, the downtrodden.)

By no means is your purse ruined, so for that you can be thankful.

Yea, don't mention that you left it in the window. Just show them the bag and say it looks so dull to you and that you just bought it. Tell them how it looked compared to your sister's bag (who bought it at the same time)...Then TELL them, "What are you going to do about this?"... At this point keep your mouth shut and stare at them straight in the eye. Hopefully they'll belly up and restore the bag free of charge.

Yea, don't mention that you left it in the window. Just show them the bag and say it looks so dull to you and that you just bought it. Tell them how it looked compared to your sister's bag (who bought it at the same time)...Then TELL them, "What are you going to do about this?"... At this point keep your mouth shut and stare at them straight in the eye. Hopefully they'll belly up and restore the bag free of charge.

How stupid do you think they are? Okay the SA might not guess what has happened but don't you think the repair center has seen this kind of damage before? AND since the purse is "fairly" new and not a week old, why wouldn't this have been seen from day one.

I do not agree with the shuck and jive tactic. It's in poor form. It's better to say less than lie through the teeth, imho. If a person screws up, own up. That's the problem these days. We all make mistakes, so what. Why does it have to be someone else's fault? Ya take the purse in for repair and be happy that it can be fixed. Geesh.

burberryprncess is right. Too optimistic on my part. I just figured they'd cover everything during the 1st year. Well OP, the cost isn't that much compared to the wonders Chanel can do to restore your bag. Totally worth it to me.

How stupid do you think they are? Okay the SA might not guess what has happened but don't you think the repair center has seen this kind of damage before? AND since the purse is "fairly" new and not a week old, why wouldn't this have been seen from day one.

I do not agree with the shuck and jive tactic. It's in poor form. It's better to say less than lie through the teeth, imho. If a person screws up, own up. That's the problem these days. We all make mistakes, so what. Why does it have to be someone else's fault? Ya take the purse in for repair and be happy that it can be fixed. Geesh.

Well personally I have my bags in sunlight all the time and they do not turn? That would be my older Chanel's. Quite frankly, I think it's the poor quality with Chanel's treatment of their leather that is causing this issue so I have NO RESERVES instructing OP how to handle this problem. Chanel is in POOR FORM turning out sub quality bags for what they are charging.

Also I don't care what the repair center thinks, I have had items sent to the repair center only to come back and break a week later. Please, my dear don't get me started.

what can i do??!!

Just out of curiosity, did you lay the bag the same way all the time? Is the dullness uniform or on both sides of the bag? I have my black Chanel in the car's front seat while driving around all day. They are always laying on their backs, which btw looks like my fronts, still?