A seller's nightmare...why me?

soCurious

O.G.
May 2, 2007
Hey guys, I really need your help on this one. I recently started selling some designer shoes that my sister bought. She lost her job recently and so she cannot keep all these pricey items so I'm trying to help her sell them. I sold a pair of CLs to this one girl who seemed like she's really interested in buying them. She has one fb and hasn't buy anything since 08/07. I'm pretty sure these CLs are authentic since my sister's SA has been working with her for a long long time. The shoes are new and the soles are flawless. Anyway, this is the email I received from the buyer today.

Dear xxxx,

I received the shoes that I purchased. However, upon inspection I noticed several discrepencies which caused me to take the shoes to a high-end department store to check their authenticity. The shoes are NOT AUTHENTIC. Among the discrepencies, including the peeling inner sole, the stitching that does not match the other shoe, gaps between the bottom sole and the shoe itself, etc., there is a sticker that is on the bottom sole of one of the shoes that is a visual instruction on how to manually place a sole on the shoe itself. As a result, I am requesting a COMPLETE and FULL refund of $315.00 which includes shipping costs, based on the false, fraudulent and intentionally misleading statement of 100% authenticity that you placed on the bidding page for these shoes. Once I receive the refund requested, your shoes will be shipped in the exact same condition as they were received. Be assured that if this issue is not resolved fully and immediately, legal action will be swiftly taken.

What do I do now? :crybaby:

You definitely DONT refund until you have the return. Even Paypal ask buyers to send item back before they give refund!

Im so sorry this has happened to you - im sure someone will have great advice for you. Good luck x x

Paypal will tell you that you don't refund until you have the shoes back. She is the one who has to PROVE they are fake. Authenticate them in shoe forum if you have any doubts.
If they do turn out to be fake, she has a right to be pissed, but if they aren't' fake, she might just try to keep the shoes and get the refund as well. Only 1 FB in 07 -- that is fishy. SHe still has to return them to get her money back and it could be a scam if you think they are not fake. I guess this will tell you a little bit about your sister if they are fake:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: Can you post the auction?

Last edited:
Of course the shoes would need to be returned before any refund. but I am concerned that you say you are pretty sure they are genuine. If you are not 100% sure it is hard to advise. If you have lots of pics please authenticate on the forum and the take it from there.

If you have an uncertainty re authenticity, you should not risk your ebay ratings even as a favor for your sister. Put it to her straight. Are they authentic? If she says so, like the other ladies have said, post on the CL forum. Does your sister have a receipt? She should or should be able to get her cc bill for them.

Best wish, soCurious. There are a lot of people who are trying to fool other people by saying they are "professional inspector". One time I was trying to sell my second-hand Louis Vuitton handbags with receipt and people are here saying my bag was "fake". Since then, I was very disapointing at this authenticate forums. Anyway, good luck. And belive yourself, truth will be win as always. Good Luck.

If the shoes are authentic, then you might be dealing with a bully or a scammer. So, let her do whatever the hek she wants to do. If she opens a dispute, respond to it with all the info you have on the shoes and detailed photos, addressing each of her claims.

Best wish, soCurious. There are a lot of people who are trying to fool other people by saying they are "professional inspector". One time I was trying to sell my second-hand Louis Vuitton handbags with receipt and people are here saying my bag was "fake". Since then, I was very disapointing at this authenticate forums. Anyway, good luck. And belive yourself, truth will be win as always. Good Luck.

I help out in the LV auth. forum and it's possible you may have encountered a person who wasn't familiar with your particular item. There is a group of us there who authenticate items and we will never state an item is fake unless we are sure, and if we are not, we will request the help of the other authenticators to reach a decision.
If it was the first situation you encountered, I'm sorry you had that happen.

Sorry for going OT, OP, but I had to respond to that comment.

And OP, good luck, I hope they actually are authentic and everything works out for you.

^^ Totally agree with the above. This has scam written all over it. She was trying to scare you into a refund and keep the shoes. Don't let her bully you. As for the legal action, that is nonsense. It would cost her more to do that than it did for the shoes. If you are now confident that they are authentic, I would call PP and ask them what is the best course of action, since she has basically threatened you (legal action, etc.) Be sure to save her emails, too.

I am not an authenticator but they look good to me.....I notice that the Saks stickers are on the box and while I don't own these, I have tried them on.

soCurious-I definetly would NOT refund unless a dispute has been opened with PP and proper steps are taken via PP, & you either agree to refund via PP OR PP insists that you refund. Make sure you have your shoes back first.....this person sounds like a scammer. I understand being upset if you think you have been sold a fake but it is always best to attempt to reconcile in a friendly manner. The letter you were sent was an attempt to intimidate, IMO.

I would be a bit curious (not in a good way) about this buyer since she only has 1 FB and that was in 2007. As already stated, do not refund anything until you have your shoes back. Hopefully this is just a simple case of the buyer not knowing anything about the item she purchased, hence her thinking they are fake. Good luck to you!