A Sad Little Coach Story

Jade Sparkle

ツ Twilight Fanatic
Apr 5, 2008
So...my sister in law has these things called a "purse party".I don't know..I haven't gone to one, but when I asked her what they sold and she knows I love Coach and told me they'd have Coach purses there, any kind I wanted for $30, and also said , "they're the real thing"!Well, I knew that was a total joke.:roflmfao:
Anyways..on with the story. My Mother in law came for a visit over the weekend, what time she was here I had to get something out of my ergo tote(white pebble leather), my mother in law asked me what kind of purse it was, and I told her it was Coach.Then she gets all excited and tells me about my sister in laws purse party, and how she got herself a real deal on a Coach bag for $30, and that she had it in her car, and she went out to her car to get it and show me.As soon as I layed a eye on it, it was so obviously a fake:sick: But to ofcourse I'm not going purposely offend my mother in law.BUT my husband on the other hand..lol
He told her..."Mom, those are FAKE BAGS!!" to which she replied "No,NO...these are the real thing, the woman at the purse party assured us they were the real deal, and that the only thing was some of them might have a tiny defect, that's how we get them so cheap".
Ok...ummmmm, my husband tried to school her a little by the things he has been taught by me..lol...but there was no convincing her.:lecture:
Ahhh...what else can ya do?

It was either denial, or the purse party lady that was running the show completely had them convinced.The purse she bought....Coach has never even made or atleast I've never seen one before.

aww, I feel sorry for her being taken advantage of like that. Hopefully she will understand soon. I hate those purse party people! How sleazy can you get!

I agree, and I feel sorry for her (and other's) too, but it's very frustrating when you can't make someone see the light.
Now I wish I would have gone to that purse party in a way because I know I would have schooled them on fakes had I been there.I don't like confrontation though:cursing:

Aww, that's really sad. I'm sorry about your M-I-L being taken advantage of! I feel so angry when people are taken advantage of like that! I think fakes are a real problem, and one thing that is very damaging to Coach. The reason is partly because many people actually DON'T know the difference between a real and fake bag. I know most of us don't think about it because we do know when we see a fake, but I can tell you a large part of the population don't. I had an auth Hamptons patchwork tote and my niece a good fake, so I polled everyone in our family to see which one they would claim is auth. I did not let them look inside because the sleazy thin fake sig lining was off and I felt was a dead giveaway, as were the hang tags (I removed them). You know, all the women FAILED the test!! It was only the men that got the correct answer based on leather trim vs pleather, and the quality of the patchwork fabrics!! I was shocked...how sad is that???

So I never make the assumption anymore that a person carrying a fake actually realizes it's a fake!

Aww, that's really sad. I'm sorry about your M-I-L being taken advantage of! I feel so angry when people are taken advantage of like that! I think fakes are a real problem, and one thing that is very damaging to Coach. The reason is partly because many people actually DON'T know the difference between a real and fake bag. I know most of us don't think about it because we do know when we see a fake, but I can tell you a large part of the population don't. I had an auth Hamptons patchwork tote and my niece a good fake, so I polled everyone in our family to see which one they would claim is auth. I did not let them look inside because the sleazy thin fake sig lining was off and I felt was a dead giveaway, as were the hang tags (I removed them). You know, all the women FAILED the test!! It was only the men that got the correct answer based on leather trim vs pleather, and the quality of the patchwork fabrics!! I was shocked...how sad is that???

So I never make the assumption anymore that a person carrying a fake actually realizes it's a fake!

That is funny that in your experience it was the men who got it right based on pleather. A few months back I was trying to convince my sister she was about to sell a fake LV on Ebay and she didn't believe me. Finally, it was my BIL- to - be who jumped in and started explaining how he could tell the difference based on the fact that the leather wasn;t real. My sister STILL couldn't see it and refused to believe us. I think in these issues, people choose to believe what they want anyway.:tdown: It didn't help my case when she sold the bag and it was never disputed by the buyer.....

That is funny that in your experience it was the men who got it right based on pleather. A few months back I was trying to convince my sister she was about to sell a fake LV on Ebay and she didn't believe me. Finally, it was my BIL- to - be who jumped in and started explaining how he could tell the difference based on the fact that the leather wasn;t real. My sister STILL couldn't see it and refused to believe us. I think in these issues, people choose to believe what they want anyway.:tdown: It didn't help my case when she sold the bag and it was never disputed by the buyer.....

Oh NOOOO....:sad: Yeah, that's how a lot of Ebay sellers continue to exist...buyers THINK they got a real product and never dispute it but leave excellent feedback. Or when it's disputed, then the seller makes up some BS story and eagerly agrees to the return, again usually not getting neg. feedback because they've been so "spectacular" to deal with. This is very frustrating! At least you tried, and there's not really anything else you can do.

My friend always strokes his leather car seats and says no way would he accept any pleather in his life, lol! I'm pretty much the same way too, but like you, even when I told my family and SHOWED them the difference in the materials and stitching between the real and fake, they still couldn't believe it and claimed not to be able to tell the difference. I felt my blood pressure rising because I just couldn't understand HOW they couldn't feel the difference in the materials, let alone the stitching and everything else (especially when they were given the correct answer). :shrugs: Not that auth. Coach products don't have the occasional QC problem, but I've so often heard family or someone I know complaining about Coach quality because their zipper broke or something ripped on the "multiple" bags they bought, and guess what...they were FAKES to begin with....so DUH!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah I totally know what you mean about your blood pressure rising because I was sitting there with mine rising too. I was getting SO mad and my sister kept saying "I don't think you know what you are talking about." THAT really set me off. If it weren't for my other sister's fiance sitting there and validating me I might have lost it.

She knows to tread lightly on the subject around me now though b/c a couple weeks ago at my nieces birthday party she was telling my mom how she was ordering a bunch of Coach wallets. I KNEW she meant fake and that she was going to sell them, but when my mom questioned her intentions, she looked at me and then clammed up. It's hard to believe my own flesh and blood can be so dumb!

Yeah I totally know what you mean about your blood pressure rising because I was sitting there with mine rising too. I was getting SO mad and my sister kept saying "I don't think you know what you are talking about." THAT really set me off. If it weren't for my other sister's fiance sitting there and validating me I might have lost it.

She knows to tread lightly on the subject around me now though b/c a couple weeks ago at my nieces birthday party she was telling my mom how she was ordering a bunch of Coach wallets. I KNEW she meant fake and that she was going to sell them, but when my mom questioned her intentions, she looked at me and then clammed up. It's hard to believe my own flesh and blood can be so dumb!

Yeah, I hear you! Maybe try to let her know that it's getting harder and harder to sell fakes on Ebay (assuming that's her venue of choice), and that it's illegal to do so, etc. I don't know that a lot of people really think about the total consequences of buying and selling fakes. She probably won't get very far if she tries to sell a lot because a lot of counterfeiters have been shut down. I would also send her links to online news articles that have reported arrests for selling counterfeit items. This is how I scared one of my nieces because she wanted her mom to hold a purse party at her house (since it has a pool too) after she had attended one and bought a bunch of fake bags. I "enlightened" her mom, and also told the niece it wasn't fair because her mom would be just as responsible as she would since it's her house. Finally after reading enough about all the arrest articles, she realized it wasn't a good idea! But it was the purse party vendor that was selling her a load of BS. Problem is I can't figure out who that vendor is, or I would report her butt in a heartbeat. She tells all of them that at least some of her stock is "real", and that you can't tell the difference...and that all are being sold at "wholesale" prices. Yeah, you can't tell the difference because they are ALL fakes, one in the same. My niece bought 6 bags at $40 a piece, so she then thought it would be a good idea to sponsor a party herself. My family is hopeless...I'm really ashamed to write this story too! :sad:

Oh, and my other story is my nephew's stepkid, who is almost 16, was taking all her fakes to school and claiming they were auth Chanel, Coach, Dooney, etc... Well, actually Dooney became "not cool", so she trashed those, including the real Dooney stuff I had given her. I warned her not only about fakes, but also in trying to pass them off as real. So after a while (and many thefts because some thought she had the expensive items), the kids realized she wasn't made of money and was just BS-ing them, and then they started making her life a holy living hell. Now she wants everyone to pay for private school so that she doesn't have to endure the other torture from other classmates at the public school. :tdown:

I'm just really frustrated. The thing is that area has no places where you can buy retail Coach...just online, but they have a lot of factory stores. It's also not in general a "designer" area...I mean they think Fossil is high end. Still with the factory stores, people choose to buy fakes. The problem is that area is frequently targeted by purse party vendors because they know with all the fake bags at the flea markets, that the authorities do little to shut it down. Because most people have rarely seen an authentic Coach bag, a lot of them don't know the difference!

Sorry for so many posts...it was just good to "vent" to people that actually understand my pain!!