A Roxy emergency, please help!!!

Rayban

O.G.
Jan 31, 2010
Hi Ladies,

I received a gorgeous pre-loved Roxanne in the post yesterday (many thanks to Lady F for her help with authentication) and it was love at first sight. As you can see from the link, she is pretty close to perfect.:biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=110507381821&view=all&tid=504669029001

Unfortunately, I went to put my things in her last night and the strap on one of the front pockets came off in my hand. Both rivets have broken and although I have all the pieces, there is no way of attaching it back together (unless, perhaps I used glue and I really don't want to do that).:sad:

Looking at previous posts this seems to be a common problem (especially with Darwin) so I am assuming I can get it fixed by Mulberry.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a strap reattached (I think TeddiesCorner had a similar problem) and who do I contact? Does it matter to Mulberry that I bought it pre-loved and do I need to know where/when it was purchased?

Finally, should I ask the seller to share the repair costs with me (I really don't think she knew this was going to happen) or do I just pay for it myself? If she agrees, should this just be an arrangement between ourselves or do I need to do anything through paypal?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a bit new to this and need you expertise!

Many thanks

Rayban, my first port of call would be to the seller! State that while you are delighted with the look of it, the very first time you tried to use it, it broke - this means the bag is not fit for purpose.

I have to say I would ask her for a refund, and then she can get it fixed herself through Mulberry.

I am not saying this lightly, its just that I know if I sold a bag, even pre loved, and the day it arrived somewhere else it broke, I would be mortified and would allow for it to be returned to me so that I could get it fixed.

If she is unreasonable, then you will have to go the customer service route, but a bag that breaks just by putting things in it, is not a good buy iykwim

Sorry this happened before you even got a chance to use your new bag! Not a big deal to have repaired though, should cost you maybe £15 or so, possibly more as they have to reattach a handle rather than just replace a rivet.

You should contact Kate Peters at Mulberry - [email protected] - and she will be able to help you.

Good luck!

^ Yep I think that would be the perfect compromise if the buyer could refund the exact cost that Mulberry quote plus the postage costs to send it to Mulbery, if it is love.

Hi Rayban, yes I have had the same problem with my python. Both straps parted company from the front pockets at the same time. All rivet parts present and correct, just parted company from each other. All I'd done was lift the flap to see which pocket my phone was in. I'm sorry this has happened to you before you'd had chance to use the bag too. Python had only been out on special occasions and had virtually no use. I have sent her back for repair.

I echo the advice from the others. First port of call is to the seller. You will have to decide what outcome you expect from the issue. Do you want to return Roxy? Do you want to keep her and have the job done yourself? If so, will the seller pay the cost or at least some of the cost? Only you know what you are prepared to accept. If Roxy is a particularly good example and she was reasonably priced you may want to keep her. You should get an estimate of the repair cost first. I have only had rivets replaced free of charge up to now but the last price I heard mentioned was £17 each. You can send the bag in to be repaired through any of Mulberry's
retail stores or outlets. If you do it this way you won't have to pay shipping. While it's there ask them to check all other rivets for the same problem. You don't want to receive her back and the same thing happen again.

Good luck, and keep us informed :hugs:

Sorry, posts crossed. I see you've already mailed the seller. Fingers and everything else crossed you get the outcome you want.

Sorry to hear about that Rayban - do you think it could've got damaged in transit somehow? I'd email the seller and hopefully, they'll be reasonable and either pay all or at least some, of the repair costs. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I emailed the seller and initially she offered to refund £15 or return it for a full refund. I suggested that I email Mulberry on Monday for a quote and then we could go 50:50 (I do love the bag). The seller isn't happy with this as she has already made a loss on the bag and she just wants me to return it.

If replacing 2 rivets (minimum), postage etc is going to add £40-£50 to the cost of the bag I think it needs to go back. I'm a bit sad but clearly it wasn't the one for me.

The other dissapointing thing was I had my eye on 2 bags Teddiescorner was selling this week but didn't go for them as I knew this was on the way! Unfortunately they have both gone. Never mind, the search goes on.

Hope you get this sorted.

I think it would cost about £20 + - to send the bag to Mulberry (as you have to send it by special delivery) then say £15 for the repair .. Mulberry usually send the bag FOC.

I hope they are able to sort it out for you x

Hi Rayban

It only cost me £8.65 to send my large Mabel to SM by Special Delivery for repair, so may help to persuade you??

That was quite good .. cant remember what it was I sent, but it was about £21! :nuts: Actually, I think I sent a few things at the same time & it was more the cost insurance that was so much rather than the weight.