A real stinker of a handbag problem! Advice needed!

Halzer

Hooked on Classics!
O.G.
Mar 11, 2007
Ok...
So it's my wedding anniversary in two days, and I have always being going on about how much I love Chloe paddingtons, but they are waaaay out of my price range.
Anyway my sister inlaw has gone and bought me a LUSH 'inspired' padlock bag (ie. a mirror copy of the paddy, but with 'lush' printed over the palock)
It arrived today from Fedex. Its a nice bag if it wasnt a copy. Real leather too.

The thing is...I know I wont use it as its such a recognised style, that I will feel like a fraud. I want the real thing.

My dilemma is, what can I do with it. I dont want to upset my sister inlaws feelings, as she really thought I would be happy with it. The refund policy from Lush is to return it within 10 days...to CHINA and be refunded minus the shipping fee and 15% restocking fee (what the heck is that?) That means that once I have paid the costs to send it there Im left with peanuts.
I will feel embarressed to put it on Ebay, although I would be honest and list it as Lush and not palm it off as a chloe.

I was thinking of only using it when I visit her home, but then we will usually go out anyway....?

Arrghh what to do? Advice please!

If you do not want it, why not donate it to your local Womens' Shelter, where it can be used as a serviceable handbag by someone who will be glad to have it, and will, in all probablility have no knowledge at all of the brand name that Inspired the bag, much less any sort of emotional investment in the name on the clasp.

I like the suggestion of your using it when you visit her. After she has seen you using it a couple of times (so as not to hurt her feelings) then perhaps you can do what ShimmaPuff has suggested. It's not worth returning to Lush - if you do a search, there are a few threads about Lush.

Would it still be as recognizable if you removed the padlock? I bought a bag a while back that looked like a Chloe (I didn't realize this since I wasn't familiar with the brand). After someone pointed it out, I took the lock and key off and decorated the bag with some scarfs and charms.

I like the suggestion of your using it when you visit her. After she has seen you using it a couple of times (so as not to hurt her feelings) then perhaps you can do what ShimmaPuff has suggested. It's not worth returning to Lush - if you do a search, there are a few threads about Lush.

ITA. :yes:

Def use it a couple of times when you're around her. It sounds like she really tried to give you a gift that she thought you would really like (my family does this too.) It's sweet and they're really trying. In a while you can do whatever you like with the LUSH purse, while saving up for that paddy that you really want.

I totally agree with everyone: Don't return it!!! Use it when you are with her. She tried to make you happy and seeing you use the bag will definitely make her happy. Loving feelings between family members will last a lot longer than any handbag!!!

Originally Posted by passerby

passerby, you just have a way of coming up with the best ideas! :heart: The sister gave the gift with love!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Im off on a charm hunt to see if there is anything I like. I think I will try and dress it up a bit and use it for a while when Im out with my SIL.

The bag is real leather at least, so it has the potential to be something that I wouldnt mind carrying :lol:

Thanks again!