a questions for vietnamese...or asians in general...

Yes, the higher the Vietnamese population, typically the cheaper the nail salon (due to more competition). I have to pay $20-25 for a pedicure here in the Bay Area whereas in So Cal I only had to pay $10. When I lived in Baltimore, I saw pedicures were $35 - YIKES! I waited until I flew back home to visit my family before I would get my nails done. I had a co-worker from Chicago who relocated to CA and was astonished at how cheap the nail salon prices were - she said it used to be a special occasion to get her nails done before, and now she could see how it would be a weekly habit!

For the extra dough, you may get a little extra treatment - a longer calf rub, or warm lotion, or fancy environment. But all in all, the work itself is pretty much the same at a cheap $10 pedicure place vs the $40 one. If you look at the tabloids and see the pictures of celebs being caught getting their nails done, it's usually in some hole in the wall Asian establishment, so I think they don't differentiate the treatment either!

I think it's the culture of that salon, I am kind of a quiet person in my private time so I do not like loud and chatty hairdressors, nail techs, etc regardless of their race.

Both my haircutter and haircolorist (a Chinese man and Cacucasian woman, different salons) are ok, sometimes loud but not too bad. I go to a Korean owned nail place now and they're pretty quiet except when it gets empty then they all get louder and chatty with one another, but they're better in figuring out quickly I prefer being quiet and reading magazines so they don't try to drag me into small talk.

I think it's just good customer service to observe the preference of your customers.

I have favorite vietnamese nail salon to go and make my nails done. My first time there, the vietnamese ladies were talking like whisper, actually, including the guys...don't know what they were talking about but they became very friendly when they learned i give good tips and on some occassions like before christmas i gave pizza money for everybody.

I was a nail salon and we came in almost at closing time. It was kind of sad because the ladies were talking (*&% about us the entire time, then finally asked if we were Vietnamese.. then they didn't say a peep.

...Maybe it's a So Cal thing...
That is my guess.

When I first discovered the Adam Divello shows, I had to watch both Laguna Beach and The Hills like multiple times, pausing and rewinding constantly, to understand not only the heavy accents, but the - well, I call it mumbling.

I don't think they make any quiet ethnic groups. OK, maybe Presbyterians...

I never notice the nail ladies talking in a low voice, however, I am Vietnamese and I can assure you they are talking about their customers, lol! Even myself.. no one ever guesses that I am Vietnamese so sometimes they talk a little trash when I walk in... and then they're super embarassed when I leave and thank them in Vietnamese.

Funny!!!! Ok, how do you say thank you in Vietnamese? LOL

I used to go to Dominicans for my hair and it was VERY lively LOL. Lots of Spanish, and Spanish TV, Soaps, dramatic. Now I go to an Ethopian salon a bit closer to my house, and they are very reserved and quiet. I've been going for a while now, so they are social with me, but still very nice and quiet.

Last edited:
Funny!!!! Ok, how do you say thank you in Vietnamese? LOL

This was posted on page 2:

Thank you is: Cảm ơn
Hello is: Chào

I'm Vietnamese and I think it's just a salon thing. My mother and my aunts are LOUD. I get defensive sometimes when they talk to me because it sounds like they are yelling at me. Then I remind myself that's just how they normally talk. Sometimes it just gets louder and louder because one will try to talk over the other.

Oh, and this was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile LOL!

My Vietnamese salon lady is SO LOUD. She's basically like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

From what I've heard, whenever a customer is being difficult or has some weird request (like this one time, a group of teenage girls walked in and asked them to paint each fingernail a different color.. all the nail techs were trying to avoid them), then they'll probably talk about it.

One time this lady made her 5 year old daughter get a manicure (and gel I think)..the little girl was pouting and didn't want the manicure. All the nail techs were staring and saying how wrong it was to force a kid to get her nails done.

And of course, sometimes they'll just talk about a customer's outfit (this has happened to me a lot.. they like to look at shoes and bags).

yah, they just chat about whatever comes up...

I'm not vietnamese, but I can understand a bit...one time the lady that was working on my nails told the lady working on my toes that me and this girl that just walked in had the same bag...:P

I don't mind if they say matter-of-fact things like that...but normally I prefer to go to salons where the workers don't talk at all...I'm very observant...if I notice the ladies are concentrating on their work instead of babbling off about things (whatever it could be), I'd go back to the salon again..but if the ladies keep yapping and not concentrating on what their doing I make a note not to go back again...

I'm asian, though I've never been in a salon or had my nails done. I'd like to throw in something about my late mom (from Japan), as I've seen a couple of posts about the reserved nature of Japanese women. She actually did "appear" to be reserved, while in public.

My parents operated a business together, & I once overheard one of the employees express sympathy for my mom (while at home) having to live with what they thought was a tyrant (my dad). He used to yell when he got frustrated.

In actuality, it was my mother who had the stronger personality at home & whenever she got seriously angry at my dad, she would swear (quite vociferously) like a drunken sailor! And my dad would duck for cover.

I realize I got a bit off topic, but had to share that.