A question on international shipping

estile

Addict
O.G.
Jan 6, 2006
I would like to purchase items from US department stores but most will not ship to the UK.

I read somewhere that you can "buy/rent" a US postal address and have them forward items to you.

I'm not sure how it works. If anyone knows please fill me in.

Thanks in advance :flowers:

Hi Estile, I also looked into this (elux etc has the most devine things), but although you can get a US post address quite easily, you MUST have a US bank account to order anything, so they are quite clever, not really another way around it unfortunately :smile:

Some of these sites offer to buy the item for you using their US credit card but charge you a percentage for it. I've got friends from overseas who do this. It's worth looking into.

Thanks for the responses. I was also thinking it may be a way to avoid the dreaded customs charges. I bought a handbag from a US seller once and had to pay almost a quarter of the purchase price in fees! I was not happy.

I guess I'll have to plan a trip to the US. Although didn't Coleen (Wayne Rooney's girl) get booked at Heathrow for not declaring items?

Estile

Are you going to go for this? As Chloe Babe mentioned do you also need a US bank account? Let me know how you get on as I would be interested in doing something similar if it worked. Do you still not get custom charges though when they do ship the item to you?

estile said:
Thanks for the info curlsaloud. Did it help with customs fees at all?

STS were *ahem* creative with their customs labels. I once bought a pair of Marc Jacobs shoes and a pair of Manolo Blahnik ankle boots and paid about a tenner customs :wtf:

I have been using myus.com for over a year now and have been very pleased with their service. I can have things shipped to my US address and they also have a personal shopper service. The fees are a bit more than some of the others, but I have never had any issues with them. They will also help with declared value (for customs purposes).

secret_shopaholic said:
Estile

Neimann Marcus for example will ship if you call them but not on their website. I think there are a couple of other big department stores that will do that too.

If you use their online chat feature, they will allow you to place your order through there for international people :smile: