A Question for Tiffany Somerset Knot earrings owners

jube0506

O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Hi,

I just got my Tiffany Knot earrings in sterling silver, thanks to the ladies who helped me decide! :smile:

I see that the earrings are not completely identical. One earring has a bigger hole than the other. And I think because of that, one earring looks slightly bigger than the other. I was wondering if this is supposed to be like that. Does anyone have their earrings like this? And if so, does it bother you? I'm not sure if I should go back to Tiffany and ask them to show me other Knot earrings to compare, but I think I would feel foolish for doing that. Also, if you have modeling pics with both earrings (left and right) on, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Can someone also tell me whether these earrings tarnish in a way that is too difficult to clean? I've been thinking of getting them for some girlfriends who are getting married saying "congratulations on tying the knot" but I don't want to if they're going to tarnish with all those little grooves that are impossible to polish.

^You could get those cute pouches from Pacific Silver Company that have the anti-tarnish cloth inside.
I bought a yard of the stuff to do my jewelry box and it is fabulous!

I received a pair as a birthday gift, yes, they are not evenly sized and I hate that earring as I can't do anything about the tarnish. That's why I never buy Tiffany's silver, what a waste of money. The earrings are kept in my drawer for years...maybe that explains the tarnish cause silver pieces are meant to wear often.

Can someone also tell me whether these earrings tarnish in a way that is too difficult to clean? I've been thinking of getting them for some girlfriends who are getting married saying "congratulations on tying the knot" but I don't want to if they're going to tarnish with all those little grooves that are impossible to polish.

You can buy a silver cleaning solution which you dip your silver jewelry in. I've been using the cleaning and polishing cloths along with the solution and they're great! I also have 2 Somerset rings and they don't tarnish that badly. It's bad when I don't wear them.

I received a pair as a birthday gift, yes, they are not evenly sized and I hate that earring as I can't do anything about the tarnish. That's why I never buy Tiffany's silver, what a waste of money. The earrings are kept in my drawer for years...maybe that explains the tarnish cause silver pieces are meant to wear often.

Does this happen only with Tiffany silver? Do you clean your jewelry and/or take it to Tiffany for professional cleaning? I have an aunt who can never wear silver. Every silver piece of jewelry she wears tarnishes immediately. It's because silver does not mesh with her body chemistry.

wow i just received a pair of these as an early xmas gift and then happened to find this thread! what great timing!

are they a classic for tiffany studs? i'm not familiar with the somerset line.

i examined my pair closely and i do not see any major difference between knot sizes or the hole in the center. they both look identical.

i think that if the difference is obvious it can't hurt to bring them to a store and ask. if it's not up to your standard i would return them or at least exchange them for another pair or another item you will be happier with. i wouldn't be willing to accept a defective pair. i think they are a lovely design but after reading this thread i'm concerned about cleaning/polishing them. i have a polish for other silver items but i agree these earrings look like a 'challenge' because of the hole in the center. i might just call the store and ask what cleaning advice they give to their customers.

A polishing cloth won't get inside the grooves of the mesh. You can use a liquid silver cleaner dip, or pay to have it cleaned at Tiffany if their complimentary steam cleaning doesn't do the trick. Tiffany is excellent about returning defective items, so if the disparity still concerns you, you may want to go back.

Does this happen only with Tiffany silver? Do you clean your jewelry and/or take it to Tiffany for professional cleaning? I have an aunt who can never wear silver. Every silver piece of jewelry she wears tarnishes immediately. It's because silver does not mesh with her body chemistry.

I have 2 silver bracelets from a local jeweller and I wear them almost daily and they still look as good as new after a year! I took the Tiffany earrings for cleaning at that local jeweller but no help. I have to take it to Tiffany's in the capital to clean.

I also own these in gold, and I see only minute differences in the size of the center hole. If it's bothersome, you should definitely take it back to Tiffany!