A question for the rehabbers and vintage lovers

Porter4

Aug 8, 2011
I didn't want to hijack the rehab and rescue thread with this, so I thought I would start a new thread. First off, I know this is all opinions, and of course ultimately I will have to make up my own mind. I would just like to hear some different opinions from others that have experienced the amazing old Coach leather ;) I would love to hear from those who own vintage Coach satchels as well.

I really like the new Legacy line, but do realize the leather isn't exactly comparable to old Coach leather. I have some NYC pieces, and of course that leather is amazing! DH got me Black Cherry Molly for our anniversary last fall, and I had planned on getting the new Haley satchel this spring. I would only be interested in the model with the shoulder strap. I have realized so far, the color I would pick would be black or cognac,;this style is so classic I just like it in those colors.

So...I have done ebay searches and it seems like you can get a USA, and sometimes even an NYC, satchel like Haley (although seems a little bit smaller on most models) for between $100-$200. What are your opinions, $100-$200 for an older satchel with superior leather, over $300 for Haley with PCE? I'm torn. The new stuff of course has it fancy tassels, is brand new, perhaps some unique colors....just wondering others thoughts. Thanks

If you are going to get black or brown, I would go for vintage. That stuff has already proven it will last for ages! Plus, I don't get as wound up about getting a mark on a vintage/pre-owned bag as I do when I get that first smudge/mark on a new bag. I know it's inevitable, but it's just the worst feeling!

If you are looking for new colors, then go for Haley!

If a style looks a lot like the vintage styles, I would usually rather have the vintage version, unless there is a special color I want. The advantage of the new version is the extra pockets and usually the vintage bags are smaller. For $200, you could probably find a vintage version in new condition. Most sell for less than that.

I was looking at the Saffiano satchel and then realized that my Madison satchel is nicer.

Originally I thought I would want Haley in one of the new colors, but when I look at pictures, it is really the cognac and black that I keep being drawn back to....so this makes me think I should just go vintage. Anyone have pictures of their favorite vintage satchels? I have a spectator Madison I need to move to the front of the rehab pile...maybe that will hold me for a bit. Although it is pretty floppy and I like how structured Haley is.

I love both my vintage and new bags.

I love the classic style, high-quality, and often low-price of the vintage bags; and I enjoy the larger size, lighter weight, and bigger color selection of the trendier, new bags.

But if I was thinking of buying a new bag in a classic style, I would probably look for one of the larger vintage bags, it is just a better deal for the money IMO.

Last edited:
I have at least 5 vintage satchels - Madison, lightweights, Broadway, Sheridan and Italian Madison Sutton.

Attachments

• madison243.jpg
    madison243.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 300
  • lightweights038.jpg
    lightweights038.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 302
  • broadway016.jpg
    broadway016.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 300
  • sheridan005.jpg
    sheridan005.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Italianmadison010.jpg
    Italianmadison010.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 298
I have at least 5 vintage satchels - Madison, lightweights, Broadway, Sheridan and Italian Madison Sutton.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are all so beautiful! I think the Broadway is what I am going to try and hunt down. How big is it? It has six little feet on the bottom, right? The texture on the Sheridan and Italian Madison :loveeyes: I used my Sheridan bucket this week and it is fantastic in the rain, plus I love the richness of the bridle leather trim!

You probably know my answer. I would definitely go for a more vintage bag. I love my Beaumont and other similar satchel styles. The one thing I do love about the new Haley is the outer pocket. But I am quite sure it won't hold up to heavy daily use like the oldies did and still do.

You probably know my answer. :biggrin: I would definitely go for a more vintage bag. I love my Beaumont and other similar satchel styles. The one thing I do love about the new Haley is the outer pocket. But I am quite sure it won't hold up to heavy daily use like the oldies did and still do.

Is your Beaumont in the authenticate or rehab/rescue thread? I'm not familiar with that style. I'm okay with the loss of the outer pocket, just need a shoulder strap for sure.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are all so beautiful! I think the Broadway is what I am going to try and hunt down. How big is it? It has six little feet on the bottom, right? The texture on the Sheridan and Italian Madison :loveeyes: I used my Sheridan bucket this week and it is fantastic in the rain, plus I love the richness of the bridle leather trim!

I think the Broadway would be perfect for you. It has six feet. It is about 12 inches long, 7 inches high and 6 inches wide. The Madison satchel comes in a larger size that has a shoulder strap and is about the same size as the Broadway but doesn't have feet.