A passion that never dies ...

Sass

O.G.
Jun 23, 2007
Just wanted to share this adorable story ...

Today I was doing a home visit with a sweet 83 year old lady, just before I went to leave she asked me to help her into bed, as she was feeling a tiny bit faint and dizzy.

I helped her in and as I was, she moved her UK Vogue out of the way so she could lay down. She pointed to the magazine and said "I may be 83, but I still adore keeping up to date with the latest fashions".

She went on to tell me about some of her favourite purchases over the year ie Furs, Burrberry coats etc.

The lovely lady then said "You know there is this simply gorgeous Hermes bag in this issue, if you have a minute dear, you must have a look, it's simply divine ..."

I didn't have a minute really, but for Hermes I made time!

We then discussed how fun and enjoyable fashion. I told her I think fashion is a passion that never dies!

Thanks to everyone who replied - yes it was lovely to meet this lady, and it was quite special to discuss her different fashion purchases over the years!

Just wanted to share this adorable story ...

Today I was doing a home visit with a sweet 83 year old lady, just before I went to leave she asked me to help her into bed, as she was feeling a tiny bit faint and dizzy.

I helped her in and as I was, she moved her UK Vogue out of the way so she could lay down. She pointed to the magazine and said "I may be 83, but I still adore keeping up to date with the latest fashions".

She went on to tell me about some of her favourite purchases over the year ie Furs, Burrberry coats etc.

The lovely lady then said "You know there is this simply gorgeous Hermes bag in this issue, if you have a minute dear, you must have a look, it's simply divine ..."

I didn't have a minute really, but for Hermes I made time!

We then discussed how fun and enjoyable fashion. I told her I think fashion is a passion that never dies!

Thanks you for the post.

exotikittenx said:
Aww, adorable. :smile: That is so sweet! I would love to have seen pictures of her from her younger days and her style.

Tell me about it.. I bet she was fab!! Such a sweet old lady. Gives me hope that when people age, they don't all become such grouches.

exotikittenx said:
Aww, adorable. :smile: That is so sweet! I would love to have seen pictures of her from her younger days and her style.

Yes she told me about her overseas travels and different purchases she enjoyed because of what if symbolised. For example her favorite perfume was a gift from her husband, early on when they were courting, but now he is gone, she has to buy her own. She was quite sad about it but she said the most darling thing - a woman should never have to buy her own perfume!

Next time I visit i'l ask to see a picture of her when she was around my age!

Necromancer said:
What a lovely story, Sass. I wanna be like her when I'm 83.

Amen - me also! I posted a shortened version of this story on fb and a whole bunch of my Uni friends replied and said the same thing.

My sister replied and said - this will be you Sass when you are 83!

dearmissie said:
Tell me about it.. I bet she was fab!! Such a sweet old lady. Gives me hope that when people age, they don't all become such grouches.

Oh no, most are lovely (in my experience) and grateful for interaction a with a 'such a lady'.

Thanks everyone for your beautiful replies - it was a heartwarming visit truly.

I love working with the oldies and we always have something to talk about, but she is the first that has gone tit for tat on the fashion stakes in a conversation - irrespective of age :-p I'm sure she appreciated the banter as much as I.

I told her about my balenciaga city. I didn't think she would necessarily know brand, but she was familiar with it and wanted to know about leather quality.

She spent some time telling me she enjoys reading Vogue also because she looks through, finds pieces that are on trend, and often if it's a more classic style, she brought if 40yrs ago. So she would pull it out and wear that season again so she was 'on tread'.

Truly a fashionista

What a neat story! I bet she has tons of stories to tell; this is probably only just the beginning! I think it's cool that she still keeps up with fashion, and still enjoys reading Vogue. She sounds like a fun lady to hang out with.