A nice rehab project, but still a bit flawed

I am happy with the rehab results and will feel comfortable carrying the bag, but it still has some flaws. I worked on the ink marks with alcohol and gave the bag a bath in the sink. It looked better but not good enough. You could still see the ink marks, there were still spots on the lining, and the bag just wasn't clean; so I cycled it through the washing machine.

Then I used lexol wipes to condition it, touched up the edging with fawn acryllic paint, polished the hardware, and replaced the hang tag. It looks much better but still has some flaws, but I've decided to let them be because I am afraid of losing color and damaging the bag if I kept going.

Here are some after pics and I will post close-up of the flawed areas in the next message.

sonomabucketafter001.jpg

sonomabucketafter002.jpg

sonomabucketafter005.jpg

sonomabucketafter012.jpg

Hi Kate, the rehab looks great. Which lexol wipes did you use? I bought a large duffle in the same color as this but paid $100 for it so I don't want to dunk it. It doesn't have ink or other marks as such but is kinda grubby. Some people wouldn't notice it, though if it were a white bag you would know. Do you think I could just use the wipes? Are they the conditioner & cleaning quick wipes? TIA

Hi Kate, the rehab looks great. Which lexol wipes did you use? I bought a large duffle in the same color as this but paid $100 for it so I don't want to dunk it. It doesn't have ink or other marks as such but is kinda grubby. Some people wouldn't notice it, though if it were a white bag you would know. Do you think I could just use the wipes? Are they the conditioner & cleaning quick wipes? TIA

You can try surface cleaning and if you aren't happy with the results you can dunk the bag later.

I use lexol cleaning wipe (orange container) and lexol conditioning wipes (brown container) and they are great products and very convenient, you can also by the liquid versions in bottles if you can't find the wipes.

First I would vacumm out the inside and then wipe it down, inside and out, with lysol non-bleach wipes. If you could post pics of your bag in the coach rehab and rescue thread, the TPF rehabbers may be able to advise you. Good luck!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452.html

You can try surface cleaning and if you aren't happy with the results you can dunk the bag later.

I use lexol cleaning wipe (orange container) and lexol conditioning wipes (brown container) and they are great products and very convenient, you can also by the liquid versions in bottles if you can't find the wipes.

First I would vacumm out the inside and then wipe it down, inside and out, with lysol non-bleach wipes. If you could post pics of your bag in the coach rehab and rescue thread, the TPF rehabbers may be able to advise you. Good luck!

Thanks Kate! I have the lexol liquid in orange container already. I could try that:smile:

I think it looks pretty darn good, actually.

I bought a Coach this color at Goodwill and have been trying to clean it. The leather is soft, but I can't seem to get anything off except general dirt. Mine is oblong with an oval bottom, a zip top, and a long cross body strap.

I think it looks pretty darn good, actually.

I bought a Coach this color at Goodwill and have been trying to clean it. The leather is soft, but I can't seem to get anything off except general dirt. Mine is oblong with an oval bottom, a zip top, and a long cross body strap.

Light-colored bags are very challenging and I often walk away from them as rehab projects for that reason. Have you given your bag a bath, that often helps a lot. Can you post pics?

Light-colored bags are very challenging and I often walk away from them as rehab projects for that reason. Have you given your bag a bath, that often helps a lot. Can you post pics?

Yes, I've bathed it, but it has some scuffing and marks that don't look that great.
It's definitely a departure from my normal brown or black. The color is pretty. I'll try to upload a pic this weekend. I'm supposed to be doing some work now!

Are red classic's with scuffed off corners, piping etc. hard to rehab or any red leather for that matter? TIA

Light and bright-colored bag, especially red or orange bags, can be a little delicate and tricky to rehab - but many red bags have been rehabbed very successfully.

Can you post pics of the bag and the problem areas at the link below and the Coach rehabbers will try and advise you.