A nice rehab project, but still a bit flawed

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I picked up a (wheat?) drawstring bucket bag at the Savers Thrift Store. DemRam and Hyacinth told me that it was a Sonoma Small Drawstring Natural 4905 that was made in 1996 and originally sold for $208.

I knew that the rehab was going to be a challenge because it is a light-colored, pebbled bag that had noticeable ink marks, dirty stained and/or worn areas, edging loss, spots on the lining, and it was missing the hangtag. But it was different from any bag that I own and it was only $10 so I decided to give it a try. Here are some before pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I am happy with the rehab results and will feel comfortable carrying the bag, but it still has some flaws. I worked on the ink marks with alcohol and gave the bag a bath in the sink. It looked better but not good enough. You could still see the ink marks, there were still spots on the lining, and the bag just wasn't clean; so I cycled it through the washing machine.

Then I used lexol wipes to condition it, touched up the edging with fawn acryllic paint, polished the hardware, and replaced the hang tag. It looks much better but still has some flaws, but I've decided to let them be because I am afraid of losing color and damaging the bag if I kept going.

Here are some after pics and I will post close-up of the flawed areas in the next message.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Here are some after pics of the worst side of the bag. It's okay but not great. But I am happy with the results of my efforts to remove the ink marks and I will post those photos next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. This is a photo of the ink marks before cleaning:
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo after using alcohol and giving the bag a sink bath:
    [​IMG]

Here is the same area after another alcohol application and a trip through the washer. I can still faintly see the ink marks if I look hard, but it mostly just looks like another slightly worn spot, so I am pleased:
    [​IMG]

5. I think that it looks great! Love your rehab posts!

6. Another fab job!! I just love how you give all this old gals new life!! I so enjoy your rehabs and I love seeing all the classic Coach styles I've never seen before! Way to go!!

7. Another Great job!!!
    You will have to teach us all how to rehab a bag!!!
    Congrats!!

Lynne :smile:

8. Best rehabber ever! As always an excellent job! Is this style 'made in italy'? I found one just like this at a vintage store in black but they wanted $50 for it....I was like I don't think so. $9.99 is much better!!!!! : )

9. The bag looks so full of life after your rehab. It looks much better.

10. Ya done good, kid !!! :woohoo:

11. ^^^like this post.

12. I think it's great!! I'd have no qualms about carrying her around. Such a cute bag!

13. Thank you! It's really pretty easy because you are working with high-quality materials and those old bags are tough and resilient!

14. Thanks!

Wow, $50 bucks! I would be much less active as a rehabber if all my projects cost that much! I would also be less willing to experiment, like sending a light-colored, lined bag through the washing machine!

15. Thanks everyone, as I've said before, I just really enjoy finding and restoring these lovely older bags!