A Moral Question

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Would you ever sell a handbag that do not somewhat resemble the bag you originally bought in condition and need I say it devoid of any new odors (i.e. smoke, perfume, and I dread to go any further)? How is it that some sellers can put a disclaimer out that says while my home is free of odors I cannot be held responsible for this used bag's past life before I got it and decided to sell it. I just don't get how someone could justify in their mind sending out a yucky bag to an unsuspecting buyer. And if it is returned have no qualms about relisting it and selling it again until someone just tosses it and takes the loss. I am becoming a much more cautious buyer these days. Are you?

2. I don't know if this is a moral quandary as much as a debatable topic of subjective ethical practices.

First off, I don't sell any handbags. I probably should, although I don't. I keep them unused or gift them to those of whom I know will appreciate them.

Sellers can place whatever disclaimers they want, as it is up to the buyer to beware: caveat emptor

The buyer doesn't have to buy, and if the buyer chooses to do so, the buyer should make thorough inquiries as well as state their expectations clearly in advance of purchasing.

The buyer should also keep all (email) correspondence to clarify what the buyer asked and how the seller responded. If the bag is NOT what the seller stated in the description and/or (email) correspondence, and the seller uses the US Postal Service to send the merchandise to the possibly unsuspecting buyer, then the buyer can lodge a formal complaint against said seller for fraud (via the USPS).

So, for me, it's not so much about a seller pulling the wool over the eyes of potential buyers, it's about the buyer taking personal responsibility in what s/he chooses to buy, as well as from whom, and -- in addition to other forms of recourse (e.g., eBay, PayPal, credit card company, USPO, etc.).

3. Ok so what you are saying is that if I decide to buy it is entirely my fault if I end up with a stinky bag because I took the risk (even if I asked all questions) and now it is also up to me to take action wasting huge amounts of time prosecuting someone who is not to blame because I was so stupid to buy the bag in the first place. What is this world coming to? I am sorry I just don't agree at all. My reason for starting this thread is shock that someone would sell a stinky bag and excuse this behavior by claiming that that he or she didn't get it dirty that they are only going to sell it that way.

4. Hey, you asked, right?

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

5. Let me bring up a subject that is on track with this one. We all know that our individual homes have an odor or aroma that we get so used to that we don't notice anymore. My sister's house has a smell that I can distinctly relate to her. So does my Mothers and everyone I know. It's not necessarily a bad smell, but a distinct one nonetheless.

My mother in laws house was incredibly clean, no smoke and it had a lovely smell. And everything in it retained it's odor. Whe she passed away I sold a large majority of her antique clothing and jewelry. The bedroom I stored all of her stuff in reeked of "Her house". I loved the smell. She always used scented candles and potporri so everything had a slightly sweet odor.

One 1920 Flapper Dress I sold got me a email that said it had a strange perfumey smell and they were a little disgruntled. I understand why someone puts that Notation in their auctions. How can I be respnsible for what this dress went through in years I hadn't even been born? I also say, buyer beware. Anyone who sells second hand bags, can't vouch for their prior life and some odors may not be smoke or nasty smells. They may just be "Home" smells.

6. Excellent personal anecdote Lexie ~ thanks for sharing!

I would love to have seen that 1920s flapper dress!!

7. I think that as long as the seller states the condition of the item clearly, and the buyer chooses to buy based on that description, then the buyer can't fault the seller for the condition of the item. It's only when the seller has neglected to mention certain flaws that the buyer has any kind of leg to stand on because full disclosure was lacking.

I hope you aren't in a position where you received a bag that had funny smells etc that the seller had not mentioned in their auction!

8. That was a ghastly experience, shoeguru. You are right to be indignant. Your problem sounds like an eBay one. Ever since purchasing a fake Fendi Spy bag there about a year ago, I have been very vigilant with sellers. OF COURSE it's disreputable to pass the buck for bad products onto unsuspecting buyers. It's reasonable to assume your item will be in acceptable condition unless clearly stated otherwise. Obviously you cannot SMELL a bag long-distance. While I have been lucky with most sellers over the years, there are always the bad apples. You may have met one of them. If I were you, I would report this matter, and try to get redress if you paid by Paypal and this was an eBay issue. Whatever your transaction, I wish you luck. You are right to be angry. I would be too.

9. Odor is such a subjective opinion that, unless the handbag was soaked in gasoline, anyone could easily make a case that the bag smells just fine. Scented candles and perfumes are obviously very popular, the malls are full of stores that sell them. I have to cross over to the other side of the aisle if I have to pass stores like that. I've been in classes where I've had to ask to be moved because the lady next to me stunk to high heaven from perfume but I would never tell her that, I just discreetly move away because I'm sure plenty of other people would think the smell was heavenly. It's entirely possible the seller examined the purse and thought it was just fine. Try putting a bag of baking soda inside the bag or something more agreeable to your taste to mask whatever odor is offending you.

10. I have to totally agree with this statement. When we moved into our new house in Florida, my husband and I always made the comment that we needed to "get our own smells in here". Sounds weird, but it is true. When we visit my SIL in Santa Fe, I still have Santa Fe smells with me for days. It's great! I would just have to say that if someone specifically asks if there was a smoker in the house, that info should be divulged!

11. Thank you for the comments. I think I got too emotionally involved in a Seller's comment that they have no responsibility for what they sell to the public. I know every home or person has their own unique smell but smoke is different. Everyone can smell cigarette smoke in a handbag and it should be included in a description. I know buyer beware and so now I always ask. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings but I really feel you should sell a good product and a smoky bag is not a good product and everyone can smell smoke so there should never be an out.

12. Did you receive a bag that smelled of smoke, or are you asking from a listing that you saw? If the bag currently smells of smoke, I would certainly disclose that, regardless whether I smoke or not. But if I bought a bag second-hand, and it didn't smell like smoke when I got it. And now I'm selling it, and it doesn't smell like smoke currently, then I think this disclaimer is fine. Obviously, I can vouch for my own home, but not the home(s) the bag was previously in.

13. I see it fairly frequently in listings. I am so glad you would state it smells like smoke when you sell it. My concern is selling a bag with very apparent smoke odor and no disclosure even when asked. That is what upsets me. I kept a bag on purpose that I received which had no mention of being smoky because I knew if I returned it I would have to pay return shipping and the Seller would just relist it and sell it again to someone else. And they said the bag was clean. That Seller knew without a doubt that bag was smoky and she sold it anyway. I threw it out and learned a valuable lesson about the world we live in.

14. Agreed, If you're a smoker tell them it comes from a smoke free home, if you're a non smoker you would be able to tell if it smells like smoke and list it in your listing. I'd probably still bid on a smoker's purse but at least I'd be aware of it and I'd be ready to deal with the smell when it arrived. My theory is if you're upfront and honest, no one will have a case.

15. That's unfortunate! If that happens again, I think you can file SNAD. Smoke smell should be revealed. And also if you do a quick search on the forum, there are ways to get rid of/reduce the smell.