A little disapointed in an Ebay purchase...Advice

Jennifer75

Jul 27, 2009
So this isn't a big deal either way...I'm pretty laid back about things but I need some advice.

I bought a Small Hamptons Weekend Tote, it was something I fell in love with the second I laid eyes on it. I've been looking for a rainy weather bag for the fall season. (I don't want my Legacy baby to get rained on!)

The listing says it was well cared for...nothing noted on the outside of the bag but a few pen marks on the inside. Well, I received it today and first off it STINKS - not smoke or anything...just dirty grungy smell. UGH.
Secondly, the bottom corners of the microfiber are rubbed - all for of them (nothing too major, but still...). Also, there are TONS and I mean TONS -of pen marks in every pocket and section of the purse and grime and scuzz on the inside of the lining. Yuck.

The last thing is that it's TINY! She used a 12" measurement from the top of the bag - smooshed flat. The bottom of the bag is only 7.5 inches wide. That's just enough of a difference to make it too small for me.

So....do I just clean her up the best I can or contact the seller and try to negotiate a return or partial refund. I've done over 500 transactions on Ebay and have never had a problem - I'm not usually one to complain.

What do you think? I can post photos tonight - I'm at work and just received the bag. It is cute, I can't deny that!!

One more question, it has 2 hang tags, both teal, different shades and one a little bigger than the other. Did they all have that or did I get a bonus?

I'd let the seller know that the bag is not in the condition that the auction stated and see if you can work out a refund and/or partial refund if you want to keep this bag. "Conditions" are so arbitrary anyway, her idea of good condition might be your idea of wtf? LOL

If it were me, I'd notify the seller immediately about the unacceptable condition of the bag. Point out that the listing which said the bag was "well cared for" was deceptive. I'd want to return the bag for full refund. The seller would probably be receptive - he/she doesn't have a lot of feedback yet and any negative feedback would impact him/her....

I would contact the seller and ask for a refund. She states that there is no visible damage to the outside of the bag...the bottom corners are worn I would say that is visible damage and not as described. Not sure about the hang tags since I have never seen this bag IRL.

Seller stated:
"There is some normal wear to the bag but no visible damage to the outside.

The inside has a few pens marks and other spots but nothing big."

I'd ask her to clarify what a few is (more than 2 but less than 12?) and visible damage from what distance?

Either keep it and fix the issues, or send it back for full refund. I'm not a fan of partial refunds... I mean you are either happy with it or you aren't... I've never seen $ from a partial make anyone more happy with a purchase if it wasn't what they expected in the first place.

Seller stated:
"There is some normal wear to the bag but no visible damage to the outside.

The inside has a few pens marks and other spots but nothing big."

I'd ask her to clarify what a few is (more than 2 but less than 12?) and visible damage from what distance?

Either keep it and fix the issues, or send it back for full refund. I'm not a fan of partial refunds... I mean you are either happy with it or you aren't... I've never seen $ from a partial make anyone more happy with a purchase if it wasn't what they expected in the first place.

You are correct - I'm asking for a full refund. I can clean it but doubt I would get the ink out and I can not repair the edges that have rubbed through.

Below is my message....
Hello! I received the tote today in the mail. Thank you very much for the fast shipping.
I do have an issue with the condition of the bag. While I understand completely that this is a used bag, the auction stated that it was well cared for and "There is some normal wear to the bag but no visible damage to the outside." As I look over the bag I can see that there is a 1/4 in. mark on the front pocket and more concerning to me, ALL of the corners have been worn through the microfiber fabric!

Secondly, the auction states "The inside has a few pens marks and other spots but nothing big."
Again, I understand that this is used and pen marks happen, but this bag has pen marks in every pocket on the inside as well as the entire lining! That is not just a few pen marks. Also, the lining is just plain dirty and it has an unpleasant odor eminating from it.

I would like to work with you to come to some agreement where we will both be happy with the result as soon as possible. Thank you

I think you have received good advice here from everyone. You did the right thing by contacting the seller first to see if you can work things out. My personal opinion is that you should return it to the seller for a full refund. It's a buyer's market these days on auction sites and if you're not happy, I'm pretty sure you can get something nicer at a reasonable price.

Coach measures their bags pulled tight across the top, so if a seller does not measure on their own, then they don't know how to explain measurements. A good seller gives an explanation of how the measurement was take and where as needed.

Also, next time you buy something try to get more photos. I just bought something on a total chance, not knowing whether the bags were in any decent condition. So I do know we all take chances.

The Hamptons line is very tricky. Once you get used to seeing the stuff in stores, you will know to ask for good measurements to figure out what bag is for sale.

Hopefully your seller will make good for you. I would return it.

Last edited: