A lesson in colour!

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
It doesnt matter how many lovely clothes I buy, i NEVER know what should go with what in terms of colour! Can anyone tell me their favourite colour combinations or teach me something (Anything!) about colour matching?!:smile:

This is a tough one because we don't know what you're working with. Maybe if you can snap a few photos of pieces that you don't know how to style, we can help you think about colors that can go with?

Yep, I just copy the blogs. And the outfit of the day thread. I like WendysLookBook.com. Go through all the entries back to the beginning and you'll see some color variety, especially in Spring/Summer.

Just try a color or print with neutral and you should be fine. All neutrals work too. But follow the blogs to make it more interesting. The challenge is to find a look in your closet that is similar to the blog entry. It doesn't have to be exact. For example, I don't have gray jeans so I would sub a gray top and make the bottoms one of the other colors. Or if I didn't want to wear shorts, I would substitute a skirt.

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.co.uk/

This blogger is a genius when it comes to colour matching - hope you find it useful :smile:

This is a fabulous blog:tup: I had already had it saved but forgotten about it, thank you for the heads up again! It's so 'real' & helpful compared to the same same 'what I wore today' blah blah blogs - I read somewhere recently that many of the popular ones are photoshopped heavily and IMO don't offer realistic help to get outfits and colors co-ordinated.

i stick to black, white, navy...for outfits.
and do color accessories, like scarves, necklaces....

+ 1

i stick to neutral colours too! when i buy other brighter coloured clothes and tell myself to add some variety to my dressing, i still tend to wear my neutral coloured clothes most often!

my favorite accessories are red bags! they match so well with my wardrobe!

This is a fabulous blog:tup: I had already had it saved but forgotten about it, thank you for the heads up again! It's so 'real' & helpful compared to the same same 'what I wore today' blah blah blogs - I read somewhere recently that many of the popular ones are photoshopped heavily and IMO don't offer realistic help to get outfits and colors co-ordinated.
Glad you like it :smile:
Thats very interesting about blogging sites being photoshopped... I never thought about that before but I have often wondered about how some of these bloggers/ photos look so perfect and rival editorial shots of magazines! This explains it!

for the popular blogs, some of them could hire professional photographers, the cameras were like thousands of dollars and expensive lenses. of course the quality is gonna come up so editorial.
and photoshop...there's a different degree of skill set to use photoshop and it can take up a lot of time to manipulate a photo to be perfect. photoshop is great if the photo appeared to be too light/dark so you can adjust the exposure and other things.
my point being you cannot photoshop a photo taken by point and shot dummy digital camera into something a professional camera/lense photo. that's just impossible. like the popular effect bokeh

I love mixing tans/taupes with gray and black and white. Pop in a shocker color like yellow or cobalt or fuschia in your accessories and boom, you're done. :smile:

Browsing through the women's fashion section of pinterest should get your mouth watering... LOL it's what I do to figure out how to use pieces that have me stumped!

Some color combos I like:

Black/white with a pop of red or fuchsia

Black/cobalt blue

Orangey tones with browns, creams, camel - teal can sub for orange, so can mustard yellow, green, etc. and baby pink with brown and cream is really pretty.

Navy/white/fuchsia - so something like a navy dress with a fuchsia bag... blue jeans with a gingham top and a pop of fuchsia... so many possibilities.

Burgundy/cream/black

I mean, colors like black, grey, beige/cream/white, brown, navy etc. are neutrals, so mixing and matching shouldn't be a problem.

I can name 282728 other combos, but I guess I'll stop there.

I think browsing blogs is a great way to get inspired, but many times, bloggers dress for a lifestyle that isn't on par with your own... it may be best to assess your wardrobe and maybe even take pics of potential outfits. You could always post them here for opinions! :smile:

The most important thing is you like the colours and the colours like you. Everyone can wear all colours, it just depends on the shade. :biggrin: Afterall, it's no good wearing 'perfectly' complimenting colours if they compliment each other but not you.

Secondly, neither fade away or drown in the colour of your clothes, only glow. People should notice you. Bright/bold/contrasting colours will draw the eye and dark/faded or muted colours will become background.

Thirdly, look at the colour wheel. Colours can match, contrast (oppose each other) or tone (next door).

The shade and choice of neutral is very important. Look at your hair, lips and eye colour (without make-up for clues. You are looking for lightness/darkness high contrast/muted between all three features.

And there so endeth the lesson.