A HUGE dyeing process is about to begin...

annaes

Jun 26, 2008
This is 1/2 rant and 1/2 request for information! Okay, so the original bbag city (07 greige I believe) I sent off to be cleaned, as it turns out was dyed by Avelle (despite my specific instructions not to) about two years ago instead of cleaned. When I first got the bag back from Avelle, I just thought it was super clean, but alas it was dyed, which I discovered when the paint started to peel. :nogood: I was sick about it for a while and just put the bag on my shelf and let it sit.

Anyway, at this point the dye they used is peeling and flaking off. It is a horrible mess, so I'm resorting to stripping off the dye and finish on my own instead of sending it off to more expensive professionals. I have already stripped most of the old dye and finish off using acetone nail polish remover (makes you sick, eh?). The leather is a little stiff but holding up well so far. I'm toying with the idea of just washing the whole thing with Woolite to get all the chemicals off and neutralize pH (any thoughts??). I plan on using Fiebing's penetrating dye in black (the original kind on the website), and probably Fiebing's Bag Kote (different from Edge Kote!) as a top coat because it's more flexible than Tarrago Self Shine so it won't peel but will bend with the leather instead and seal in the dye. Will also use neatsfoot oil to condition the leather fibers between coats of the penetrating dye. Lastly, I plan to fix up the sealant along the edges with Edge Kote.

So, before I begin this: any other notes from those who have dyed your bbags? I did a giant search of this forum and have read through most of the threads about this, but any advice is welcome!
Most importantly, how are all of your dyed bags holding up over time?

Wow, what a pain! I remember your posts about Avelle. I thought they did a great job. I have read other members had the same problem with Avelle, even though they specifically told them not to dye their bags. I don't think they know how to clean the bags.

Anyway, there is an old thread about washing: http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...my-beloved-bbag-in-woolite-advice-240166.html

And what I leaned from this forum, if you dye a bag, it's the key to use a "penetrating dye." Many people used Tarago one. But I think Fiebign one is good, too. And the Edge Kote seems great to fix the sealants. I think your plan will work. I usually don't recommend to dye a bag. Because many members were satisfied with the results first. But later they regretted and said never again. But if a bag is really beaten up or damaged like nothing to lose stage, I think it's good to try it. Good luck!!;)

Just be SUPER CAREFUL! I bought a bag quite a long time ago that had been dyed brown, and my own experience with it was so positive that I dyed 2 old trashed Bals black (following the threads on the Forum), which has turned out great so far. I sold the brown bag and I don't know if it was climate difference or what, but the bag started to fall apart/crumble/color transfer for the person I sold it to almost immediately. (I refunded her money immediately). I'm not sure how the brown bag was done ( I do know that they used Fiebings, but I don't know what else), but I'm now paranoid about the 2 that I dyed falling apart some day. So just BE CAREFUL!!!! I totally recommend the Tarrago over Fiebings myself.....so far. I'll never dye another one after having the brown one deteriorate for someone else. I'll just keep my two and wear them 'til they die.

Just be SUPER CAREFUL! I bought a bag quite a long time ago that had been dyed brown, and my own experience with it was so positive that I dyed 2 old trashed Bals black (following the threads on the Forum), which has turned out great so far. I sold the brown bag and I don't know if it was climate difference or what, but the bag started to fall apart/crumble/color transfer for the person I sold it to almost immediately. (I refunded her money immediately). I'm not sure how the brown bag was done ( I do know that they used Fiebings, but I don't know what else), but I'm now paranoid about the 2 that I dyed falling apart some day. So just BE CAREFUL!!!! I totally recommend the Tarrago over Fiebings myself.....so far. I'll never dye another one after having the brown one deteriorate for someone else. I'll just keep my two and wear them 'til they die.

I'm wondering how long you have kept your dyed bags? I usually see many people let go their dyed bags less than a year. I'm very courious how they age. Do you still have the brown bag?

I love digging this forum. And I read many old threads, when I have a time. I remember a post that a member sent a bag to LMB to dye it, and it just peeled right after she received it. I bet LMB use a penetrate dye. But it seems some dyes don't work so well with Bal's original dyes and finishes. I'm too lazy to dye a bag. But if I have a chance, I woud like to try washing a Bal bag in a washing michine.:P

I'm wondering how long you have kept your dyed bags? I usually see many people let go their dyed bags less than a year. I'm very courious how they age. Do you still have the brown bag?

I love digging this forum. And I read many old threads, when I have a time. I remember a post that a member sent a bag to LMB to dye it, and it just peeled right after she received it. I bet LMB use a penetrate dye. But it seems some dyes don't work so well with Bal's original dyes and finishes. I'm too lazy to dye a bag. But if I have a chance, I woud like to try washing a Bal bag in a washing michine.:P

No, not the brown one; I sold it and when it caused the person I sold it to so much trouble I refunded her money and let her keep it in return for her trouble. I had had it for a long time. I've had the ones I did myself for quite awhile, and probably wouldn't ever even try to sell them because of the experience with the brown one. I've purchased bags that were "painted" (not on purpose, the sellers just didn't tell me--I had to open claims with paypal and return them for refund), and they were horrible, flaking and peeling and stiff--yuck.
My 2 bags were done with Tarrago penetrating dye, and it took multiple coats to get it saturated. I believe Tarrago is silicon-based, while Fiebings is alcohol-based (I did a bunch of research).
I've used Fiebings for other less expensive brands of bags (mainly "touch-up"), but putting alcohol-based on a Balenciaga seemed too scary. I'm pretty happy with my two, but because 1) they were so marked up and messy I got them really cheap, and 2) Black is the easiest, I felt I had little to lose. I kind of use them when I'm not wanting to worry about them getting damaged. The Tarrago leaves them pretty soft and I used Leather Honey on them after dying with good results. In bright sunlight, you can see areas that didn't take the dye quite as evenly, but otherwise you can't tell on mine. They still don't compare to original Bals, but are good for "beaters".

I've never used LMB because of the mixed reviews and the expense.

So--finally--if your bag is pretty trashed and you're okay no matter what happens to it, go for it. Otherwise, I'd think it over very carefully. It sounds like yours might be a good candidate for dying.

Let us know how it works. I love to learn about taking care of my bags. I get pretty attached to them.

Last edited:
No, not the brown one; I sold it and when it caused the person I sold it to so much trouble I refunded her money and let her keep it in return for her trouble. I had had it for a long time. I've had the ones I did myself for quite awhile, and probably wouldn't ever even try to sell them because of the experience with the brown one. I've purchased bags that were "painted" (not on purpose, the sellers just didn't tell me--I had to open claims with paypal and return them for refund), and they were horrible, flaking and peeling and stiff--yuck.
My 2 bags were done with Tarrago penetrating dye, and it took multiple coats to get it saturated. I believe Tarrago is silicon-based, while Fiebings is alcohol-based (I did a bunch of research).
I've used Fiebings for other less expensive brands of bags (mainly "touch-up"), but putting alcohol-based on a Balenciaga seemed too scary. I'm pretty happy with my two, but because 1) they were so marked up and messy I got them really cheap, and 2) Black is the easiest, I felt I had little to lose. I kind of use them when I'm not wanting to worry about them getting damaged. The Tarrago leaves them pretty soft and I used Leather Honey on them after dying with good results. In bright sunlight, you can see areas that didn't take the dye quite as evenly, but otherwise you can't tell on mine. They still don't compare to original Bals, but are good for "beaters".

I've never used LMB because of the mixed reviews and the expense.

So--finally--if your bag is pretty trashed and you're okay no matter what happens to it, go for it. Otherwise, I'd think it over very carefully. It sounds like yours might be a good candidate for dying.

Let us know how it works. I love to learn about taking care of my bags. I get pretty attached to them.

This bag has been through hell and back haha. It arrived to me a complete mess, which is why I sent it off for restoration, but now that it has already been dyed a horrible weird shade of green that peeled and flaked, it's definitely time for it to be re-dyed. I have nothing to lose on this bag - I'm not going to use it in the condition it's in now, so here we go!

Now I'm worried the Fiebing's won't work as well. What have you heard about Fiebings professional oil dye? I called up the company yesterday and they said the difference is that it has superior leather penetrating capabilities (their words not mine) and more intense pigment. Because it's oil based though, I wonder if that would make a difference? Should I go ahead and get Tarrago penetrating instead? And shelzbags, did you use any top coat over the Tarrago penetrating dye?

Ok, so more questions: I have already used acetone nail polish remover to get rid of the old dye (as per others on this forum who had to do the same), and it surprisingly looks pretty good after that kind of rough treatment! But now, should I use a leather deglazer as well? A Woolite wash? Both? I just want to do whatever I can to properly prep the leather so it will accept the dye. As of now, the leather is kind of stiff (still wrinkly and pillowy, but a little harder than before) and has lost its sheen, so it seems to not have any finish left on it.

Thanks all for your input and advice! More is welcome anytime as I have yet to receive the dye and can always return it and order something else instead :smile:

"Thanks all for your input and advice! More is welcome anytime as I have yet to receive the dye and can always return it and order something else instead :smile:[/QUOTE]
I'm learning along with you a bit. I've not heard of Fiebings oil-based. I'd be interested in trying it. Tarrago comes with a prep solution and a sponge. I didn't put any other finishing product over mine, just 2 coats of Leather Honey, which took longer to penetrate than on an untreated Bal. I've read on a thread somewhere (I think) that people have used another neutral Tarrago product on their bags (Self-Shine?) with good results. I can't remember if they did it after dyeing or not. I don't have experience with anything other than the regular Fiebings and the Tarrago penetrating. I would caution you with oil-based because of all the posts I've read about oily leather conditioners causing the Bal leather to degrade (for instance, Lubriderm lotion has been given tons of bad reviews, as has Neatsfoot Oil). I could be wrong, though---I just don't know. But based on the description of your bag, I agree with you about dyeing it. I would definitely do some overall deglaze, or prep (as with the Tarrago), because if there is residue of any sort, it could prevent whatever dye you're using from absorbing evenly.

I know there are several other threads if you just look up dyeing or re-dyeing. There are surely a lot of people with good advice to share. I look forward to seeing how/what you do:smile:.

I'm learning along with you a bit. I've not heard of Fiebings oil-based. I'd be interested in trying it. Tarrago comes with a prep solution and a sponge. I didn't put any other finishing product over mine, just 2 coats of Leather Honey, which took longer to penetrate than on an untreated Bal. I've read on a thread somewhere (I think) that people have used another neutral Tarrago product on their bags (Self-Shine?) with good results. I can't remember if they did it after dyeing or not. I don't have experience with anything other than the regular Fiebings and the Tarrago penetrating. I would caution you with oil-based because of all the posts I've read about oily leather conditioners causing the Bal leather to degrade (for instance, Lubriderm lotion has been given tons of bad reviews, as has Neatsfoot Oil). I could be wrong, though---I just don't know. But based on the description of your bag, I agree with you about dyeing it. I would definitely do some overall deglaze, or prep (as with the Tarrago), because if there is residue of any sort, it could prevent whatever dye you're using from absorbing evenly.

Thanks for all the info! After more research, it looks like maybe Tarrago penetrating dye changed its formulation and is now alcohol based just like Fiebings, so I will stick with what I already ordered and hope for the best. I also looked at what is in most leather deglazers and it looks like it's mostly acetone, so the nail polish remover should be fine. I'm a little leery about washing with Woolite because I don't want any remaining detergent to interfere with the dye penetrating the leather. I'm going to buy more acetone today and finish taking off every bit of old dye, but will update everyone soon!

Oh, and thanks also for the info about neatsfoot oil. I'm definitely not going to use that! I'm still going to try to find something to use as a top coat, but am worried about the Tarrago self-shine since I've heard that peels a lot.

Aaaaah, I should work, instead of digging the forum!! But it's fun to read the past threads!!:P

annaes, here is some interesting threads for you about woolite.

http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-care-and-maintenance/balenciaga-tragedy-awful-411601-2.html
Post #22 RealDealCollection's post is nicely detailed about washing.

This is not actually about woolite. But LMB's Barbara posted about Bal's dye things. Her post is #74
http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...rubbing-off-restoration-my-turq-329221-5.html

This one is a whole dye process by a member. Unfortunately OP's pictures are not available anymore. But an other member chimmed in to do dyeing job at the same time and it's quite fun to read. Dyed, failed, washed, and redyed again. Quite a jorney!
http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-care-and-maintenance/getting-into-the-dyeing-club-434080.html

I will dig more and find more interesting threads later!

Thank you for your reply, shelzbags!
It's fun to know a new thing. I didn't know how those dyes difference are at all. It seems you are keeping your dyed bags more than a year. Is it possible for you to post your bag's pictures?

Thanks for all the info! After more research, it looks like maybe Tarrago penetrating dye changed its formulation and is now alcohol based just like Fiebings, so I will stick with what I already ordered and hope for the best. I also looked at what is in most leather deglazers and it looks like it's mostly acetone, so the nail polish remover should be fine. I'm a little leery about washing with Woolite because I don't want any remaining detergent to interfere with the dye penetrating the leather. I'm going to buy more acetone today and finish taking off every bit of old dye, but will update everyone soon!

Oh, and thanks also for the info about neatsfoot oil. I'm definitely not going to use that! I'm still going to try to find something to use as a top coat, but am worried about the Tarrago self-shine since I've heard that peels a lot.

Well, thank YOU for all your info; I've learned a bunch from you. Tarrago's alcohol based now? Maybe it always was, and my memory just stinks:amuse:. Anyway, I'll try to get a photo up for you. I'm happy with the way my bags turned out, but not everyone goes for the dyeing thing. It allows me to spare my "good" Bals when I'm being rough on my bags.

Here is a pic of the City I dyed. It had been Ivoire and was totally inked up on the outside, with staining on the corners. It took the Tarrago nicely. This is just her "backside".

Attachments

• black city 001_opt.jpg
    black city 001_opt.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 4,349
Here's a frontal shot. I've given it another coat of Tarrago since this shot; you can see the front where it looks lighter. That's my flash and it doesn't look like that in natural light. If I get to it, I'll take a more recent shot.

Attachments

• blackcity 001_opt.jpg
    blackcity 001_opt.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 4,165
Here's a frontal shot. I've given it another coat of Tarrago since this shot; you can see the front where it looks lighter. That's my flash and it doesn't look like that in natural light. If I get to it, I'll take a more recent shot.

Wow, nicely done, shelzbags!:tup:
I really respect you and the other members who dyed the bags. When I think about to cover all the hardwares before dyeing, I just say "Never mind!" and the end of the story! How long ago did you dye the bags? I would love to see the present pictures.:P

I probably did it a year or more ago, at least. I was really impressed with the way the Chèvre leather felt after the Tarrago. It has more to do with the quality of Balenciaga leather, I think, but this bag is so silky and soft, even after dyeing. My other dyed bag, a Part Time, didn't have the same texture leather, and while it looks good, doesn't have the wrinkly soft leather that my City has. I'm happy with it. I don't have before shots (too chicken to take them, in case it didn't work out), but the Ivoire was really a mess. The black dye even took care of the darkened stained corners. I really would not recommend everyone do this to their bags, but if your bag is too trashed to use, as I thought mine were, and OP's seems to be, why not? I have many Balenciagas and it would kill me to do it to any of them, but I hate to see a bag retired when you can give it a "second chance". My two dyed bags will hopefully last me a long time. I will take some recent photos and post them. It just takes awhile, 'cause I have to resize them. Thanks for your interest and encouragement!:biggrin: