A hard lesson learned, please take this advice

When I worked at Macy*s, my department was right next to the escelator. If I saw parents heading towards the escelators with their children in strollers, I made it a point to direct them to the elevator.

ug. there are a whole group of people who seem to believe that laws & warning signs do not apply to them. I don't get it. And then they want sympathy when something bad happens.
At our Zoo's Childrens Petting Yard, we ask people to please wash their hands and their children's hands before and after touching the animals. There are signs all over the place stating this and why they should do this. Do you know that some people just outright ignore this or just refuse to come into the yard cause they are too lazy to wash up when the wash area provided for them is right there!? Some people will actually just snicker at the signs and leave w/o washing themselves or their kids after touching the animals and I just think to myself, "okay, enjoy your E-Coli and be sure to eat some finger food for lunch!"

It's because of stories like this that I think people should have mental evaluations before having children. You had the child, at least care for it properly. Poor kids to have been born to such an irresponsible parents.

rainrowan, did the woman go to jail??

Once at 3am in NYC, I was walking to a local deli. There were 3 children under say 8 years old hanging outside of a McDonalds that was open 24 hours. I actually asked them where was mommy? They said she was in side of McD's. I called the cops on the woman and made her stayed there until the police came. She had the nerve to tell me to mind my business! I think they just took her information and don't know what happened after that.

Seriously, what are parents thinking leaving children anywhere that they can't see them when it's not convenient for them?

that's awful, although I will admit DH and I have taken our little one on the escalator before but not when she was an infant. He would stand behind the umbrella stroller holding it tightly and I stand in front holding the bottom up sort of tilting the wheels back. I could not imagine how anyone could put a stroller with a child in it on an escalator with no one holding the front of the stroller. I'm glad the child is ok.

omg it just reminded me of a horrific story of a young mother who left her toddler and infant in a car with an inch wide window crack. She went to the hairdresser for 3 HOURS and when she came back, they were dead. She made up some story about how the children had been abducted and killed. We found out the little boy had tried to unbuckle his infant sister and tried unsuccessfully to get her out. They found his fingerprints and saliva where he was gasping for air at the window ledge. He was too young to open the door by himself. The medical people said b/c of the heat in the car, their organs started to shut down after 20 minutes.... utterly horrifying.

I remember this :crybaby:

i refuse to use escalators with my baby and the pushchair. the annoying thing is that it is 'allowed' here, so you dont have an elevator everywhere. the few times I had to take escalators I took him out of the pushchair. I am glad to hear that it was the right choice.

luckily nothing happened to this baby, but honestly these parents should really consider what their priorities are.

omg it just reminded me of a horrific story of a young mother who left her toddler and infant in a car with an inch wide window crack. She went to the hairdresser for 3 HOURS and when she came back, they were dead. She made up some story about how the children had been abducted and killed. We found out the little boy had tried to unbuckle his infant sister and tried unsuccessfully to get her out. They found his fingerprints and saliva where he was gasping for air at the window ledge. He was too young to open the door by himself. The medical people said b/c of the heat in the car, their organs started to shut down after 20 minutes.... utterly horrifying.

My first course of action after that happened to raise awareness was bake cookies in my car.

And it worked.

I had cookies baked and ready in 15 minutes. It was 92 degrees at 1:30 in the afternoon and boom. Cookies.

If that doesn't tell you how hot it gets in there in such a short amount of time, I don't know what else would...

Thank you, I used to wait forevor for the elevator. I would get so mad at the lazy people who would take the elevator..while i was waiting for it, because of my stroller. Especially at the holidays, but it is not worth the risk to take your baby/child on the escalator.

Even now, my kids are out of the stroller...the escalator scares the heck out of me.

I dread the summer season because there is ALWAYS some damn fool who leaves a child/ren in a car. It is hard to imagine something more cruel than baking to death because your own mother or father thought you were too inconvenient to bother with.

And nine out of ten times, the parents get a slap on the wrist. Apparently, while it would be an offense punishable by imprisonment if you did it to someone else's child, it is less of a crime if you torture and kill your own child. What a messed up world. There are so many ways to prevent unwanted children; why have them if you refuse to properly love and care for them?

I'm happy to learn that the baby is fine. This should teach all careless parents a lesson. I know we all think this kinda things would never happen to oneself but it does.

About 20 years ago I witnessed a terrible accident on an escalator: A young boy, holding his Mum's hand and the handrail, must have been standing too close to the edge of the escalator stair,(where there is a gap between the stair and the solid rail). He was wearing soft footwear and his shoe got dragged into the gap - and the workings of the escalator.

The mother's screams for someone to press the emergency button and the sounds of agony from that poor wee lad, will never leave me.

i've had heard quite a few cases of this happening recently especially to children/adults wearing crocs. apparently these are more prone to being dragged into the escalator gaps due to their soft material of the crocs. it actually happened to my nephew's friend.