A great surprise after an awful day.

Eric you tell a wonderful story. Beautiful birkin; so sorry it is not what you wanted. Your BH was sweet even if blind to the size difference. Go with what you love - the 50cm. An international credit would be the least work for you too.

I love the story accompanying the purchase:nuts: I think the bag is gorgeous though but if you don´t like it, take it back for store credit.

I have a similar story. When I was married my husband bought me a Rolex watch... it was all stainless and I wanted one that was stainless and gold. So, without telling him, I went to the jewelry store where he bought it and paid the difference and got the steel and gold version.

I have to say that his feelings were terribly hurt. And I felt just awful and so greedy, etc.

So, because of that experience my thoughts on your situation are this: Your BH got you such a wonderful gift out of love for you. He must have been so excited and proud to have made that purchase for you and was thinking how excited you would be to receive it.

I really think you need to take his feelings in to consideration. I would sit down with him and tell him about the 50 cm and ask how he would feel if you were to exchange this beauty for a larger bag. Please make sure he knows how much you appreciate it, etc. It would be good if he could go with you to purchase the 50 cm, that way he would feel that he was involved and it still was part of the original gift to you, etc.

Good luck!!

i love this story (and the picture of you is very french, makes me think of jean-paul belmondo in breathless). i know nothing about hermes credits/returns but i will say your BH's heart was at least in the right place (if my husband had the sense to give me anything hermes, even toilet paper, i would be thrilled) but you know what you want so definitely hold out for the indigo fjord 50! i was surprised to hear that havanne in evergrain is maroon -- any chance you have pics in the sunlight (i am still considering a massai in havanne evergrain but if it's maroon, forget it).

Eric you are so damn funny!!!!!

Do you have an honestly open relationship where you can just say "Dude this is way too small for me?" It is a painful thing to have to do. My husband was forever buying me things that were lovely (read expensive and of course non-refundable) but just looked awful on me. A little talk helped the situation out and now he hits it right on when getting me gifts.

I say just be honest. GUSH your ass off at how wonderful the surprise was, but tell him your heart belongs to a 50cm..... The glass slipper is not a 35cm Havanne Evergraine!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us posted.

eric
i alwas love your story!
and how sweet is your BH getting you a birkin!
although it's not what you want..but i know you are still very pleased with him, aren't you?:graucho:

now...i personally would not give a present from SO to my mom, she has her own SO (my dad)! and this would probably hurt MY SO more than the fact he's got me something that i dont really want...

probably best is to get H credit:wlae:

Eric, thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm sure you'll come up with the right solution. I avoid this pitfall with my SO by shopping with him and then he stockpiles "inventory" to give to me for holidays, etc. Only surprise is what he is going to give me (if I don't tell him what I need from the stockpile first!).

And your descriptions are very amusing. A window for us into the "boy" world! :rolleyes:

Keep us posted!

I think Kallie G gave excellent advice! Tell him how touched you are and amazed at his excellent taste and how well he knows you but that you put your dream bag on order and would he mind you exchanging it or trying to get credit since it's such an expensive gift and should be "just right" like goldilocks!

AAAWWW, Eric, what a pickle you are in! This could go in so many directions...!

My thoughts....you made your SO thinking you would have to pay for it. So even though it would be nice to have the extra $$ from the sale of this bag, you werent counting on it so maybe lets put that outside of the equation for the moment.

That leaves us with what to do with the new bag. Since we dont know your BH, its hard to know how he will feel if you were to return his gift, or even exchange it. I agree that this is a sensitive issue. If it were me who gave the gift, I know I would pretend/try to understand but deep down, I imagine I would feel bad to see my present going off on ebay! Plus, even though I totally love you, I would probably not buy you anything from H again. This would be tragic fo you!!!

So, what to do....Well, if he is not the type to truely mind, and you can laugh about it together, then you clearly can take it back for store credit, internationally or locally is the same, since you werent going to have this $ for your SO anyway. Thats easy.

OK, but then there is the scenario that he might mind or be a little hurt if you return it or otherwise make it disappear at this juncture. In this event, you must keep it, at least for now.... Now, there is a beautiful 50 on the horizon. You dont have to tell him this now...I am not saying lie to him, but on the heels of him giving you the 35, he doesnt need to know there is already another addition to the family on the way.

So, back to the 50. Truthfully a 50 and a 35 are completely different, and if you were to keep the 35 and then go to Paris to get the 50, and show it to him, he probably will not think he bought you something you cannot use, but rather something that is used for something else, IKWIM. Honestly, the 50 will look like luggage to him, right??? Plus the color is totally different. And he knows you love H and probably wont wonder why you need so many. Its part of what he :heart: :heart: about you! Then, you have two bags (keeping your other bags completely out of it).

OK, if this is how it unfolds, then, later when the situation is less loaded, and the present is less new, you can either wear it occasionally to keep him happy, or tell him your mother loves it and would he mind if you give it to her? Or, tell him after a while that you are not using it as much as you use your other bags, and even though you :heart: BH, would he mind if you passed it along (translated: sold it) to a friend who has offered to buy it.....And I am sure someone will....:P If this is set up in advance, you should be good to go.

That is a little more than .02. I think I had too much coffee this morning!!!

Good luck Eric.... you dont sound greedy or ungrateful. These H issues are important, and if we didnt have each other to bounce them off of, we would all go nuts!!!

Eric, please post some modeling pics anyways.
I think you already made your decision about the 50... go with your gut and give lavish lavish praise to mr swinging party ahem from all of us............
but congrats are in order!
congrats!:smile: