A friend of a friend who brags ALOT !

Socialite

Fashionista
Aug 9, 2006
Hi, I need some advice. A friend of a friend of mine overly brags.
here is an example of a comment he sends me :

"Weekend was fine, went to Manchester yesterday and spent like £300
Err, last week I got a new laptop and mobile and other random stuff so yah :P, what u been up 2 ?"

Im like OMG, why is he bragging so much. He doesnt know about this forum so he wont find out about me asking about this but what should I do. He only ever talks to me when he gets new clothes or gets his hair done. :shrugs: I find it quite sad and I really dont know what to say to him. And I know that he didnt get all that stuff.

Just tell him what you've been doing (like, went to the movies and saw blah blah, studying for exams, etc.) with out rising to his name dropping. Maybe he thinks he needs to impress you, and really just wants to get to know you. Compliment him on his new whatever, or his hair cut. Maybe he'll stop trying so hard.

^^^I like that approach. Be the more mature person. Is it possible to interrupt the bragging and change the subject? You realize it's a sign of insecurity when people do that? He's trying to impress you, and doesn't know how unattractive it is to brag.

How come people say those brag are insecure? I think if you go running to vent about it and seems to be getting to you, you're not too secure in yourself. If it were me I'd say something along the lines of, "Spent 300(can't get that sign) on a laptop? Must have gotten a good sale." Just show them I'm not impressed.

Maybe he was just trying to make converstation and that's how he knows how to relate to you? By the comment it seems like he mentioned it and actually kinda blew it off by then asking what you have been up to?

I don't think someone telling a friend what they have purchased is bragging? I mean we chat about our recent purchases on here because we are excited about them!?! He may just be happy he was able to buy those things? At least that's why I do it??

If it bothers you simply say that's great and move on to another subject...

^^^ ITA, also talk about what you did and ignore the comments abour purchases.....or you could go the other route....ask him a million questions about the purchases, maybe he will get tired of all the questions.

Don't let it get to you....I know loads of people like that. "Do you like my new Burberry glasses? They were VERY VERY exspensive." Erm, they're nice I guess.

he makes all of it up? geez. someone is insecure.