A followup to thread about potential Dubai scam

krislynne

O.G.
Mar 19, 2009
Hi guys, I have another question. The bag I posted about here http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/need-help-advice-with-an-auction-497150.html : ended a couple of nights ago. I got the following message from the buyer today: "Hi,I wanted to ask if I could pay for this with my husbands paypal account? Because paypal will charge me about an extra $100 to transfer money from paypal to paypal. Please let me know because I am ready to pay. Thank you!"

In addition to wanting to pay with someone else's account, I have a few other concerns: 1. She has no feedback, she created her ebay account on 8/23/09 which is the day my auction ended. 2. Her location says TN, which is the same location as the other lady who so urgently wanted me to add BIN. 3. Both included their "husbands" in trying to acquire the bag. The last two could be coincidences, but I'm wondering if after I blocked the first lady and her husband, if she created a new account (thus explaining 0 feedback) to get the bag.

What should I do/tell her? Thanks to everyone who's advised me here, I really appreciate it as I'm just getting into selling on ebay and don't have the experience/knowledge to really protect myself.

I would say absolutely NO.. BUT.. call PP immediately and ask their advice as to will you have any seller protection. I am unsure if it matters WHOSE PP account she uses to pay, as long as you SHIP to the address provided in the PP transaction, and as long as the PP account she uses is linked to her ebay account...??
I am concerned that the account could be hijacked...

Tell her that you have to contact PP, but ASK her IF the PP account she is paying with has her confirmed shipping address AND is linked to her PP account, and just see what she says.

CALL PP

Thanks, Ellie Mae. I called PayPal, the customer service guy said it was up to my discretion to allow her to pay or not. He said one option is to have her link her ebay account to her husband's paypal account. But my concern is if she's hijacked someone else's paypal account, she could also link this ebay ID to that paypal account to get the bag, right? She doesn't have any feedback and only created the account the day my auction ended, so there wouldn't be a trail to chase her down with that. Am I obligated to complete the transaction if she does link her ebay account to "husband's" paypal account? Would I be protected if I tell her I will only ship to the confirmed address of a verified paypal account?

Cost $100 to transfer money between PayPal accounts sounds absurd. And that is not your problem, even if it's true. If the account(husband's) is stolen one, you would lose money in the end. Especially She is a zero feedback buyer. I would tell her I only accept payment from her account and ship to a confirmed address on PP. Even it means I have to wait for a few more days.

^^ Thanks. I just sent her a message saying I can only accept payment from the paypal account linked to her ebay user id, and will only ship to the confirmed address on that paypal account. I think that should protect me, right? Gosh, I'm always so paranoid!

DO not feel like you are being unreasonable that she follow the rules. If you read this forum, you know that scammers are just waiting to pounce.

Best of luck!

Sorry to say this, but the buyer's excuse is totally a BS. Transfer money between PP will not cost $100. Tell her she has to pay from her own PP account, or you could take her Money Order. This is totally a scam. No question about it.

I totally agree with the above. Transferring $$$ does NOT cost $100.
Sounds fishy to me also.

Sorry to say this, but the buyer's excuse is totally a BS. Transfer money between PP will not cost $100. Tell her she has to pay from her own PP account, or you could take her Money Order. This is totally a scam. No question about it.

Thanks, Ellie Mae. I called PayPal, the customer service guy said it was up to my discretion to allow her to pay or not. He said one option is to have her link her ebay account to her husband's paypal account. But my concern is if she's hijacked someone else's paypal account, she could also link this ebay ID to that paypal account to get the bag, right? She doesn't have any feedback and only created the account the day my auction ended, so there wouldn't be a trail to chase her down with that. Am I obligated to complete the transaction if she does link her ebay account to "husband's" paypal account? Would I be protected if I tell her I will only ship to the confirmed address of a verified paypal account?
Honestly, there is always the possibility of a charge-back through PP if someone claims it was an unauthorized charge even if you prove it was delivered.

Honestly, there is always the possibility of a charge-back through PP if someone claims it was an unauthorized charge even if you prove it was delivered.

Yikes! What should I do? Since she was the high bidder, if she's willing to pay and does so with her own paypal account, I'm obligated to ship, right? Or do I have the right to refuse to complete the transaction because I'm suspicious? The paypal guy I talked to said it's my discretion whether to let her pay with her husband's paypal account, and obviously I'm not going to do that. But if she jumps through the hoops to get her account verified...do I have a choice??

Edit: I just realized I can cancel the transaction. But what would that mean, in terms of...can she leave me negative feedback? It was a free listing, just paid for the extra pics. Are there any reasons I shouldn't just cancel the transaction and be done with it? Thanks again everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Update: I got a message from the buyer stating she is paying for it "today" with the paypal account that won the auction. "Today" is strange to me because it's after 10 PM here and she's in the same time zone as me...Oh boy...now what?

Nothing, but wait to see if she pays by the seven days Ebay requires sellers to wait before filing nonpaying strikes. I wouldn't agree to anything irregular.