A Few Questions Regarding Job Offers for Tpf Experts

  1. Adore's thread got me thinking and I've always had a few questions regarding job offers. I didn't want to hijack her thread, so I started a new one.

    If you have a job offer from Company A, but are still waiting to hear from Company B, can you ask Company A for some time to consider before answering? If so, how do you word it and how much time is reasonable? Also, can you call Company B to let them know you have an offer and would like to know where you stand with them? The whole thing seems a bit tricky.

    Also, at what point can/should you negotiate salary?

  2. Going through a similar situation and would like to know the answer too...
  3. You risk the chance of Company A deciding they can't wait or finding someone better for the position while you're pondering. When my company is looking for workers, we look to hire ASAP.
  4. Hi there, here's my Recruiter $.02, hope it helps! I'm also interested in hearing what other Recruiting/HR professionals say.

    In my opinion, talk with both companies. Companies know that if you're interviewing with them, you're likely interviewing with other companies too, so it's not a secret thing, KWIM? They just don't know your timing with the other companies, and your preference.

    Since you already have an offer from Company A, they are waiting for your reply. Silence sends a bad signal here, so definitely call your Recruiter/HR person there and let him or her know you're interested in the job/offer/company, but would like additional time to think it through. Depending on your relationship/comfort level with the recruiter, you may wish to say you're still in the midst of discussions with another company. Your recruiter may have already sensed this since you're asking for more time, so it's up to you if you want to state it outright or not. Some recruiters will ask you if you're interviewing elsewhere. I would answer honestly but also emphasize how you like their job and company.

    Regardless, be prepared to state a date for when you will have your decision to Company A - the recruiter will ask because that's the first thing the hiring manager will ask your recruiter. Be reasonable with your timeframe; I would say anything within a week is reasonable...if you push it out to more than that, I as a recruiter would seriously doubt you're gonna accept my job, and will start looking at the 2nd choice candidate.

    With Company B, you could contact your recruiter and ask him/her what your status is in their search and what the timeframe for the interview process and offer decision is expected to be. I think it's fair to let them know you have received an offer from another company, and need to get back to that company by X date, so is it possible to complete the interview process with them (Company B) since you're interested in the job, company. Some companies/hiring managers will speed up the process if you're a strong candidate, and some may not be able to do so - whether it's managing other candidates, company bureaucracy, key people out of the office, etc. If B can't meet your timeline, you either (a) accept the job with Company A or (b) reject Company A's offer and wait it out for B or other companies to which you've applied. But you'll never know if you don't ask.

    If Company B can speed up the process to meet your timeline and you receive an offer, I hope you strongly consider this in your decision.

    But at the end of the day, you will need to choose the job/company that best suits your skills, experiences, and career goals.

    If you choose A over B (if B sped up the process), B might be ticked but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Just know you might not want to apply there in the future.

    If you choose B over A, again, cookie crumbling.

    And you negotiate salary after you receive your offer in writing.

    Good luck! :flowers:
  5. Totally agree with Redney - as a recruiter, it is to the candidate's advantage to be honest with me, whether I recruit for company A or B, knowing where my Company's offer stands can help me with possibly speeding up our process, or in some cases, preparing a counter offer if you do decide to choose the other company.

    I always assume that if you are interviewing with my company, you are interviewing elsewhere, it wont come as a surprise to either recruiter that you are considering another offer and would like a few more days to consider. Be fair though and dont keep them waiting more than a few days, or you could lose out on one or both offers.

    You're in a great situation - best of luck with your decision!!