A decade of delightfully dodgy impulse-control from down under

tuowei

O.G.
Oct 28, 2009
It's been 10 years since I started down the slippery slope of handbag collecting, although I had no idea at the time: I was just going to get the ONE amazing handbag ... it took me a surprisingly long time to admit I may have bit of an impulse control problem :P Or was perhaps I was a magpie in a previous life.

I wanted to commemorate a decade of collecting by taking stock. I hope you guys enjoy looking at some less commonly showcased bags - I am from Australia and there are a fair few Aussie contemporary brands that I wanted to give a shout out to. I also kind of love that my collection ranges from original Etsy designers to Hermes, and is more colourful than even I anticipated.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,363
  • IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,366
Let's start at the very beginning A very good place to start.

A Guess handbag :graucho: I don't know that I will ever carry it again, but I won't part with it either because I am either sentimental ... or a hoarder.

Attachments

• Guess.jpg
    Guess.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,195
My first designer handbag was a Fendi Dr B. I still think she is gorgeous and sunny, but she looks new because she is rarely used. I didn't really need a big stiff patent leather bag but practicality was not a strong consideration in my formative years of bag collecting:rolleyes:

I soon realised that I was a small handbag person, so she was joined by her two Baguette sisters (one soft pink, one strong orange) and a Selleria lizard embossed WOC ... to make one bright, happy Fendi family

Attachments

• Fendi DrB.jpg
    Fendi DrB.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Fendi Baguettes.jpg
    Fendi Baguettes.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Fendi Selleria.jpg
    Fendi Selleria.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Fendi family.jpg
    Fendi family.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,239
My first designer handbag was a Fendi Dr B. I still think she is gorgeous and sunny, but she looks new because she is rarely used. I didn't really need a big stiff patent leather bag but practicality was not a strong consideration in my formative years of bag collecting:rolleyes:

I soon realised that I was a small handbag person, so she was joined by her two Baguette sisters (one soft pink, one strong orange) and a Selleria lizard embossed WOC ... to make one bright, happy Fendi family

Love the orange!!

However, in my work I do need something that could carry a 13-inch laptop. I had just joined the workforce, and my spirit was yet un-dulled and vibrant. It met its girly, whimsical match in Spencer and Rutherford, a Australian contemporary brand with a very distinctive style.

I did lose some of my innocence in the workplace, and my workbags went black for a long time. However I am much happier these days and recently went back to the multicolour patent with emerald green trim. It is easier to match to clothing than you might think, here is me back from work.

Attachments

• SR green.jpg
    SR green.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • SR blue.jpg
    SR blue.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,209
  • SR blue2.jpg
    SR blue2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,194
  • SR work.jpg
    SR work.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,212
Reactions: Hana1234
Your Fendi family is so bright! Very warm~~ Waiting to see the rest unfold. Colorful bags makes me very happy. :biggrin:

Spencer and Rutherford also make smaller bags and intricately detailed clutches. I love their use of colour and texture, combining silk, velvet and brocade with richly coloured exotic embossed leather trims.

Also, if you don't like carrying what everybody else is carrying, all of mine are from their 'Limited Editions' runs of 500.

Attachments

• SR red.jpg
    SR red.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • SR clutches.jpg
    SR clutches.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • SR family.jpg
    SR family.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,172
So I alluded to a 'dark' period in my career where I took on crazy hours and a lot of responsibility, which was quite stressful but paid well. Perhaps reflecting my mood, but more likely because I wanted to be taken seriously, I got a serious bag: a black Mulberry Bayswater.

I have used it every day for four years. I have REALLY not been very careful with it at all, and the edges are well worn and the leather has softened. Although some leather conditioner gave it back some shine, my husband said it looked tired and recommended I get a new one. I felt really weird about getting another Bayswater in black, like I didn't want to hurt this one's feelings, when she has been so good to me :lol:

So I got an Oak instead. Compare the Black to the brand new Oak and you can see the effect of regular use and age.

Attachments

• Mulberry Bayswaters.jpg
    Mulberry Bayswaters.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Mulberry Bayswater brown.jpg
    Mulberry Bayswater brown.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Mulberry Bayswater black.jpg
    Mulberry Bayswater black.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,191
My work used to involve a lot of walking around using my hands (thankfully I could drop off the laptop/big bag in the office). My favourite crossbody work bag is the Rag & Bone Enfield. It's a little bit edgy with its sharp lines and flint like hardware, which matched how I felt about dealing with any workplace wank those days :supacool:

A breeze to get in and out off but secure enough that nothing embarrassing spills out if I accidentally tip it over. It's quite capacious and has probably the most comfortable strap ever (padded!), which may not seem like that big of a deal until your boss makes you follow him around doing his bidding from 11am to 7pm non-stop without lunch. I pretended to be paged so I could sneak away for an energy bar that I kept in the bag :sneaky:

Attachments

• RB Enfield.jpg
    RB Enfield.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,066
Reactions: jenniebeanO
These days I still work weekends, but on Saturday mornings I get to sit in my comfy office, unsupervised, and I go out for a long lunch afterwards. So I wanted a versatile bag that was formal enough for work, and casual enough for the weekend. I thought a tote could work but it had to be able to sit securely and close because bags have a tendency to tip over and spill their guts around me...especially in the car, so that I spend ages in uncomfortable contortions picking up small object from smaller spaces. Unfortunately, I find exposed zips on the top edge totes ugly.

Last but not least, it had to be a bright, happy colour (because working on the weekend is depressing enough) that could work equally well in summer or winter. Kate Spade's Cedar Street Mini Harmony in Blue Celeste was perfect.

Attachments

• Kate Spade Mini Harmony.jpg
    Kate Spade Mini Harmony.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,074