A couple litter box questions

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Hi ladies,

My current apartment's layout allows me to have three litter boxes for my two cats, because I have a large hallway closet in which I can place two litterboxes (I just keep the door halfway shut so the cats can get in), and I have a litterbox in the bathroom.

However, I'm moving into a new loft with my boyfriend that lacks any kind of closet space. I figure I'll be able to have two litterboxes at most. Can anyone recommend some kind of space saving litterbox? Like, do they make ones designed to look inconspicious? Where do you keep your litterboxes?

Second question: how do you keep your cats from tracking litter all over the place? Currently, my cats track litter everywhere.

Thanks!

I have 2 cats also, but just 1 litterbox. I have 3 bathrooms in my house, and I keep the litterbox in one of the bathrooms. Would you be able to just get away with 1 litterbox? I haven't had any problems with just 1, there is no smell and no mess. My DH and I scoop 2-3 times daily.

With the litter tracking, I'm afraid there is very little you can do about that. You can buy these special mats from the pet store that reduces the tracking as the cat gets out of the litterbox, but you'll still get some tracking no matter what. The only option is to vacuum regularly.

I keep mine down in the basement.

Have you tried the pine (like pellets) litter?

It is more expensive, but lasts longer and there isn't much for the kitties to track.

I keep my litter box in a spare bedroom closet. I have one of of those non-tracking mats from the pet store so we almost never have a problem with them spreading litter around.

I keep my litter box in the laundry room. It is a corner design, so it takes up less space. I also use a mat to reduce the tracking, but I still break out the Dustbuster every day.

I always am wondering where other people keep their litter boxes. Ours is in our laundry room but that room is right next to the back door -- every time I walk by I can smell it (I have very sensitive sense of smell). I keep telling DH that the next house we build will have a custom room just for our cat!

We have 5 cats, and we do use the 'normal/electric litterboxes' but have few that are furniture-like. All of them are built very well. We have one from each companies and are pretty happy with each of them:
http://www.petsbestproducts.com/
http://www.catlitterfurniture.com/
http://www.hidytidy.com/

As for preventing litter tracking... It is always a challenge. We have a mat in front of the boxes but some will jump right over... I just don't care about tracking that much... My house is my cats' and I am one of those crazy cat lady...:P My friend is using the new litterbox system by TidyCatsBreeze and she says that prevents tracking pretty well. I also have heard that using Feline Pine minimizes tracking.

We keep four boxes: two in the little room with the washer and dryer and two in the master bathroom. They're all very particular about which box they use.

We have a big pan sort of thing (I'm not describing it very well) that the boxes sit in to prevent litter tracking, although you can't ever really prevent it 100%.