A clean "I" vs dirty "F" diamond diff?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I do not clean my e-ring often. But it doesn't get that dirty cause I don't wear it all the time. Some people constantly clean their stones and others rarely do. My friend tells me that the color letter doesn't matter as much as the other specs. She feels that they all get dirty. So she thinks it is not the best choice to pay extra for a "D" - "F" stone. I may be purchasing a Tiffany ring to put away for DD someday. It would be a very very small one! But you get so much more for an "I" vs an "F". I'm beginning to lean towards an "I". What do you think?

Obviously there is a color difference and a well cut I will look very white. Side by side you can probably tell the difference.

A really dirty stone of any color will be less beautiful.

Personally I like G-H-I and if I found a J I liked Id go J too. Obviously I wouldn't snub a D-E-F either, but I feel you get more bang for your buck with the G-I range. As long as they are ideal cut and aren't heavily included, I think they're the best value.

I recently had the choice between an F & G....but chose the G as in my opinion (& sons & DH's), it was a nicer and more clear color. There was something about the F that had a tint to it.......I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have the other stone to compare it to.

Personally, I don't like anything below a G. But that's me. I think it really makes a difference when you have a clear, colorless stone.

If I want color, I'll purchase a gemstone.....but I like my diamonds clear.

I'm waiting to hear back from a Tiffany SA to see if they have a small "I" ring. They showed me all "Fs" last weekend. Perhaps the smaller stones have the better color ratings. I have a feeling that she will not have anything tiny with an "I". I know it can be transferred but I'm not doing this right now anyway. Maybe in about 6 months.....

I'm no expert, but I would hold color to be the least important--at least until you see the stone in person. Color can be the most subjective of the C's IMO, and your eye can play funny tricks. For example, my sister's engagment ring was graded as an I or a J but appears very white because it happens to have a strong blue fluorescence, and the blue cancels out the yellow when you look at it under natural light.

I'm no expert, but I would hold color to be the least important--at least until you see the stone in person. Color can be the most subjective of the C's IMO, and your eye can play funny tricks. For example, my sister's engagment ring was graded as an I or a J but appears very white because it happens to have a strong blue fluorescence, and the blue cancels out the yellow when you look at it under natural light.
This! Plus cut is really the most important. An excelent cut stone can look and be valued higher than a good cut D. Cut , cut , cut. I went for the best cut there is at the best color we could afford. Color isnt as important, there are some color people out there, but cut is really what you need to be looking at.

It's a big range when you say "should I get an F or an I" ... don't forget G and H!

When I upgraded my Tiffany e-ring I did all the comparisons and decided G or H was the best value (I went with G even though I could have gone bigger in the H) - it's still in the 'near colourless' place which is great and almost impossible to see any colour unless you hold it right up to a D/E and look at it from the side...

I personally wouldn't go lower than an H but that's just me... if you look on the bluenile chart the I already starts to show a LITTLE yellow and I just wanted to be in "near colourless". If I do this for DD I wouldn't go DEF but maybe GH - and yes, cut is the most important!! :smile:

Honestly, NO. They are banking on brand to imply ideal cut. Some are dogs, but Id say 75% are probably at LEAST a very good cut, if not ideal.

I have to agree with ame on this. I've compared a Tiffany's diamond side by side with a Lazare diamond (GIA triple EX) and the Lazare clearly outshone the Tiffany. Honestly I don't agree with your friend about "dirty" diamonds. A dirty diamond can always be washed with soap and warm water, but you can't do anything to improve a yellow-tinged diamond. Just how big or small a diamond are you buying?

Also of note: an ideal cut diamond that's smaller and lower on the scale will look a bit brighter overall, so a smaller I color stone that is ideal cut will be quite white to the eye.

evekitty - What do you think a good size might be? They have lots of Ds and Fs in sizes of .5 to .72. Anything bigger is way more than I want to spend. Also the bigger ones in stock are mostly Hs and Is.

ame - are you saying that a tinier diamond will look good (brighter) with a lower color like an "I" than the same "I" color rating on a larger stone? Why is that so? I'm learning a lot here and I really appreciate your help.

Yes. A larger diamond will show more body color than a smaller diamond of the same color, even in an ideal cut stone.

As far as size...whatever size you can comfortably afford to buy. If you are buying this for your daughter to wear much later on than in the next year or so, I don't think it's worth overpaying for. It will appreciate a little in value in name recognition alone.