A classic, but I can't find any threads...

Expat

Carole
Jun 25, 2008
I KNOW this has been discussed here many times, but I can't find anything about it.

FINALLY, and after many, many other potential buyers backing down, I've had a proper offer for my bag on Bonanzle. This bag has been up forever!

So, after agreeing a price via messages, s/he put in an official offer with this note:

Actually I live in Canada. but my paypal add might be informed "South Korea" Cuz my credit card bill add is " South Korea" unchangeable. I don't know if you'll see Canada add or South Korea add. but please send it to Canada where I am

Oooh I do want to swear right now:censor:

I SO want rid of this bag. I need the dosh. But but but... :hrmm:

What could go wrong?
How can I protect myself?
She's said to ask questions before I ship - how should I word it? "Yes, I want to sell this bag to you, but what sort of scam could you be pulling...??"

Oh, it's $500 btw.

TIA :smile:

You have to ship to the address that comes through on the paypal payment or you will lose your seller protection. I would just say that to her.
If you send it to another address and she claims anything via a dispute on paypal you will lose if you ship to an address not on the paypal payment page. I have been getting a few dodgy messages on bonanzle myself lately from people and I think you have to protect yourself first even if it means losing out on a sale.

You have to ship to the address that comes through on the paypal payment or you will lose your seller protection. I would just say that to her.
If you send it to another address and she claims anything via a dispute on paypal you will lose if you ship to an address not on the paypal payment page. I have been getting a few dodgy messages on bonanzle myself lately from people and I think you have to protect yourself first even if it means losing out on a sale.

I'm curently looking through stuff on PayPal - and it seems that seller protection ONLY applies to something sold through EBay.
Do you know if this is true?
I'm not in the States, btw - it does seem that PP is different from country to country.

OK, emailed her.

You're quite right, of course. I do think this is a scam in the making - she' didn't even ask for extra photos.

Lets see what happens - my guess is a stiff ignoring ;)

PP IS different from country to country, so def follow YOUR PP agreement terms.
No way would I ship to a diff address. That's a scam used many times over.
If she wants you to ship to a diff address, then she can pay by bank wire.

How's her feedback?

PP IS different from country to country, so def follow YOUR PP agreement terms.
No way would I ship to a diff address. That's a scam used many times over.
If she wants you to ship to a diff address, then she can pay by bank wire.

How's her feedback?

I know it's a scam, but what do "they" normally do?! I'm having a senior moment :P

No feedback, joined Bonz v recently, no extra pics requested for authentication... i was momentarily blinded by the thought of a sale.
I'm better now :biggrin:.

Oh, and I don't think (but am probably wrong - perhaps someone can correct me?) but I don't think Bank Wire works for UK banks without a hefty fee to receive.

actually, I have NO idea what I'm talking about re the bank - will check it out.

I know it's a scam, but what do "they" normally do?! I'm having a senior moment :P

No feedback, joined Bonz v recently, no extra pics requested for authentication... i was momentarily blinded by the thought of a sale.
I'm better now :biggrin:.

Oh, and I don't think (but am probably wrong - perhaps someone can correct me?) but I don't think Bank Wire works for UK banks without a hefty fee to receive.

actually, I have NO idea what I'm talking about re the bank - will check it out.

NORMALLY.. the scam is INR, and there no PP seller protection because seller did not ship to the address on the PP transaction page. Buyer is refunded.. has money & bag.

NORMALLY.. the scam is INR, and there no PP seller protection because seller did not ship to the address on the PP transaction page. Buyer is refunded.. has money & bag.

Gotcha! See, said I was having a senior moment ;)
Hypothetically, (as I'm sure she will ignore now) even if I got tracking and signature conf, I guess we'd then go through the "empty box" / "damaged item" thing.

pegasuscom - have done!

*ilovebrad* - will see if she responds.

Thanks all!

Gotcha! See, said I was having a senior moment ;)
Hypothetically, (as I'm sure she will ignore now) even if I got tracking and signature conf, I guess we'd then go through the "empty box" / "damaged item" thing.

pegasuscom - have done!

*ilovebrad* - will see if she responds.

Thanks all!
LOL!! And "shipped to incorrect address" & not received at the address on the PP tranaction page. That's the biggie.

Sending to the PP confirmed address is required to qualify for seller protection, but if you're not eligible for it (kuz you're in Japan), it wouldn't matter where and how you send it. Yet, if you decide to use PP, I would still send it to the confirmed address with signature confirmation, or at least delivery confirmation. Why? Kuz when it comes to PP, you never know. Even the T&Cs are not written in stone and PP reserves the right to do whatever it wants.

Given that you're at a disadvantage kuz of no seller protection while she has pseudo-protection under PP's complaint policy--and, let's not forget that she has additional protection if she uses a CC--I would agree to the transaction but using another payment method--one equally safe or risky for both of you, or one safer for you. Only you can protect yourself in this situation; if you use PP, you're protecting her, but if you use something else, like a money order, she would be more vulnerable. So it'll come down to (a) how badly you want to sell this bag, (b) how willing you're to risk losing the $500 + shipping, (c) how badly she wants to buy the bag, and (d) how willing she's to risk losing the $500.

Me? I wouldn't do it without covering my a$$. Good luck!

:smile:

Sending to the PP confirmed address is required to qualify for seller protection, but if you're not eligible for it (kuz you're in Japan), it wouldn't matter where and how you send it. Yet, if you decide to use PP, I would still send it to the confirmed address with signature confirmation, or at least delivery confirmation. Why? Kuz when it comes to PP, you never know. Even the T&Cs are not written in stone and PP reserves the right to do whatever it wants.

Given that you're at a disadvantage kuz of no seller protection while she has pseudo-protection under PP's complaint policy--and, let's not forget that she has additional protection if she uses a CC--I would agree to the transaction but using another payment method--one equally safe or risky for both of you, or one safer for you. Only you can protect yourself in this situation; if you use PP, you're protecting her, but if you use something else, like a money order, she would be more vulnerable. So it'll come down to (a) how badly you want to sell this bag, (b) how willing you're to risk losing the $500 + shipping, (c) how badly she wants to buy the bag, and (d) how willing she's to risk losing the $500.

Me? I wouldn't do it without covering my a$$. Good luck!

:smile:

Thank you KZ! I'm damn sure she won't respond to my previous mail and I'll cance the offer soon once I've worked out the time difference.

Anyway, i don't have good feelings about the whole thing, I just got lost in the moment ;) I've offered it back to someone here that was interested last week - we'll see.

IF this dodgy one comes back, I'll see how to get paid direct. I'm not sure how that would work though as my bank is in the UK and I'm not.

I AM desperate to get rid of the bag, but I'm not gonna give it away :P

I've had bank transfers into the UK, Expat and as long as you insist that she pays the fees, you should have no problem. If she agrees and then fails to pay the fees, you could refuse the incoming payment and it would be sent back to her. Good luck with selling your bag!