A Chanel Placeholder that actually does the job?

SugarCloud

Jun 10, 2018
I have been wanting a Chanel bag for ages. But with the massive price increases of the last few years I'm realizing that I probably won't be getting my dream bag (medium classic flap, black caviar, silver hardware) anytime soon :sad: I'm considering a pre-owned bag, but even with that I am quite limited.

I've been thinking of maybe buying something to hold me over, a Gucci Marmont, a Miss Dior, maybe a YSL Sunset, but each time I find myself thinking that although I really like all of these bags, in my heart I know I would go right back to dreaming about a Chanel bag and feeling that the money could have been used towards a Chanel in the future.

Did anyone else go through this when saving for their first Chanel? And was there a bag that kept you satisfied until you were able to get your hands on what you really wanted? Is it worth buying another designer bag to use in the interim or should I stick with lower end bags until I can afford what I really want?

To me the answer is a vintage seasonal Chanel, can very well be a flap even if it is not a classic flap. For the price of a new Miss Dior and even a SL Sunset you could get a beautiful bag and the full Chanel look and feel. Plus the better quality of older bags. You can compromise on the trimmings (dust bag, auth card and the like, but do not compromise on authenticity), and going for less popular colors/styles would mean a savings. That would delay your getting your "dream bag", but I believe in enjoying the moment. Plus if you truly love the brand and look and you are not opposed to preloved, I don't see how one could not enjoy a vintage Chanel.

The other alternative is to wait and save. If the only thing you really really want is the standard classic flap in caviar, that is the only alternative that makes sense.

Save the money so you can get you dream bag sooner than if you use the budget to buy something else thinking you would be satisfied. This is a classic dilemma many of us have. Many did that and in fact we keep longing for our dream bag.

I to went for several Chanel bags instead thinking I’d be satisfied. I am, but deep down I’m still wanting the CF black lambskin in GHW. I know I won’t be content until I have that bag in my possession :smile:

Save it and get your Chanel bag. It might complete or shatter your dream, and you will most likely realize that you need more than one designer bags to go around so would end up getting marmont, Dior anyway.

I would also highly recommend sound budgeting, a Chanel bag is ridiculously expensive and I noticed that some people make it a top priority ahead of other lifestyle priorities so they ended up selling the bag not long after getting it. Not worth the stress imo

I already commented on your other thread. Hello again! :smile: You sound like a great candidate for a pre-loved bag to me! In my opinion, you will regret using your resources on a "place holder" bag. I truly believe that you should go for what you really want. All of the bags you mention are great, but they serve no purpose if your heart is set on a Chanel bag. Plus, if you buy another bag, that's money you can't put toward the bag you really desire. I would pass and just save for the one you want. It is SO worth it, in my experience!

I agree with the other posters, definitely save your money. I have went back and forth with the same problem in regards to my dream bag, the mini flap bag because it is so hard to acquire from a boutique when you're new to the Chanel world. I was weighing between buying a m/l classic flap instead, or even a WOC, but it will never fill the spot for my dream bag. The place holders may be similar, even with the m/l and the mini, they're basically the exact same bag just different sizes and some differences in characteristics, but I know it is not the bag I truly wanted. I definitely think you should save the money, no place holder can fill that desire you have for the bag of your dreams. And by saving the money, over time you can continue to contribute money to your dream bag fund eventually you will be able to save up enough. I thought about the price increases as well, but it will take you even longer to be able to get that bag if you spend the money on a placeholder then save up again later, if that makes sense. There are also many options if you don't mind skipping out on the idea of a brand new bag and the experience of purchasing it from a store. You can definitely try the preloved route. If possible you should research some reputable sellers on ebay, consignment shops, and even instagram. I have heard of many lucky people who have gotten their dream bags for a great price in amazing condition! Some even got theirs brand new for a good deal because the person who sold it ended up not ever using the bag. I wish you good luck and hope you get your dream bag soon!

I have been wanting a Chanel bag for ages. But with the massive price increases of the last few years I'm realizing that I probably won't be getting my dream bag (medium classic flap, black caviar, silver hardware) anytime soon :sad: I'm considering a pre-owned bag, but even with that I am quite limited.

I've been thinking of maybe buying something to hold me over, a Gucci Marmont, a Miss Dior, maybe a YSL Sunset, but each time I find myself thinking that although I really like all of these bags, in my heart I know I would go right back to dreaming about a Chanel bag and feeling that the money could have been used towards a Chanel in the future.

Did anyone else go through this when saving for their first Chanel? And was there a bag that kept you satisfied until you were able to get your hands on what you really wanted? Is it worth buying another designer bag to use in the interim or should I stick with lower end bags until I can afford what I really want?

I had sort of this situation but didn't need to save at the time. The price though made me go crazy (before discovering Chanel was a person who spent £200 on a bag and felt that was pretty bold). Wanted WOC, boy, reissue and classic flap (then also started eyeing Hermes) and managed to only get a boy despite having funds for others.
My 'rational' brain told me it's too much and i could buy more bags and multiple brands - and so I did (Gucci, Balenciaga, Celine, YSL, LV).

I found 2 things
1. I did like them but felt unfulfilled. I'm not a fashionista, rather a person who likes special things so cherishing LV or YSL didn't feel to me like a real thing (hope you know what i mean, don't want to offend anyone - they just didn't feel that special especially as they were easily affordable for me at the time. And it was too much.

2. They lost 50%+ value the moment my right foot was beyond the entrance lol. They also likely to go out/went out of fashion (think Celine - whilst it's my fav brand in terms of design, I feel nervous about wearing super dated bags a few years from now just because Hedi designed completely new line). I regret the money lost when i sold some of them (also you know it feels kind of harsh when people try to buy off you new Celine bag and offer 1/7 of the price or they are not interested even when the price is good)

So. I'd save up and make it super special, celebrate as you might regret like i did but the money is gone then. Today I own Chanel and Hermes Kelly and it feels super special wearing them.

Reactions: lovieluvslux
You have prompted me to share my story. I've been wanting to add a reissue 227 or 226 for years! I didn't like the price increase and worried about it. I ended up buying a seasonal Chanel because I got the itch to get something at that time. Then a year later purchased Gucci Marmont. I sold the seasonal Chanel and lost over $1K and not satisfied with Gucci. If I would have stayed to my goal, I would have gotten the Chanel I wanted. Since that time, the reissue had 3 price increases!

I bought myself a really really inexpensive pre-loved Chanel bag (it was maybe $600) and enjoyed that while I saved for what I really wanted. I have used layaway too, at preloved websites so if you don't have all the money at once that might be an option to stop the price from going up on you.

Reactions: aksaiyo
I wouldn't waste money on a placeholder bag as you will never be satisfied. I think the preloved route is the way to go. The classic flaps are so very expensive and there are some great options on the preloved market. As another poster mentioned, some that are for sale have never even really been used. I never looked at the preloved market before. I bought my m/l classic flap new from the boutique and i love it. I bought a reissue 227 preloved and i love it just as much. Sent the preloved bag off to Leather Surgeons for a spa treatment and it's good as new and all mine. Never even think about the fact that it's preloved but only about the crazy money I saved by going preloved.