A Casual Analysis of Price Increases in Lux Market - Would Love to Hear Others’ Thoughts!

If I remember Chanel rhetoric right they are saying they are harmonizing global prices. Maybe that I am confusing with some other brand but that would be a valid argument for European price increases. The luxury market and buyers are not anymore ’on old continent (only)’ as you say. It makes sense that the prices are effected. I find it SURPRISING that there still is a major price difference between continents. Not sure if it is onlybdue to demand or also heritage.

That said my unpopular opinion is that Chanel has still space to pump up the price. My second unpopular opinion is that they are a fashion house that mass produce tons of stuff for good return with very little to no exclusivity to ordinary people like me. Maybe there is something special for those that get their hands on some special RTW or the ultra-special Haute Couture.
I do agree with you on both these points.

For me (and this is not a criticism) Chanel makes slight variations on the same things over and over again. All brands have their signatures but Chanel is easily the most limited to using just key elements of their aesthetics. This is both their strength and weakness.
As long as the world loves quilted leather chain bags and boucle jackets it’s hard not to immediately associate it with Chanel. People want to buy into their aesthetic because it has an instant recognition level among the general public other brands don’t get close to.
It is also hard to tell whether a jacket is current collection or vintage whereas you can instantly tell with, say, galliano Dior vs MGC Dior.
So yes, I agree they have room to move on the price, provided it’s still desirable.

The flip side, as you say, is because it’s a bit of a narrow aesthetic it’s hard to see what’s different in one of the mass of Chanel products from another and how you can upsell the same styles.

Reactions: minnnea