A bone to pick with LV...

Breyana said:
I've wanted a Speedy 30 for SO LONG but I'm TERRIFIED to buy one due to the untreated leather.Yes,I know that's one of the things that makes this bag fabulous,but I'm a busy Mom and I need a bag that I don't have to have a heart attack every time I leave the house and it happens to start raining!I have always heard that your shouldn't treat the leather because you won't get the same patina (which I enjoy) but if you ladies say it's ok,I'll trust your judgement.I just know that if I bought one,I'd use it to death because I love it so much.

you may like the damier speedy

Hmm...interesting...well I've never liked the look of the speedy because I don't like handheld bags and I knew it would sag (even before coming to the PF). It might be one of the most affordable and recognizable LV bag, but to me, it's not practical, which is why I don't own one (please don't hit me Speedy lovers! lol).
As for the pochette, I am a slim 5'2" gal who thinks it's cute, but not practical either because you can't really fit much into it, despite the fact that i could probably carry it well.
Mandarin-->pee smell?...thanks for the tip, I won't be buying any of these from now on, but I do adore the colour!!!:biggrin:
I like the untreated leather, I think it's a very characteristic quality of LV bags, plus it shows the owner's style of living. Just from the patina, water stains and dirt on it, you can tell how much maintenance the bag went through and how well the owner values it or take care of it. Or you can be more artistic and think in terms of 'tatoos' lol...that each water stain='tatoo' and perhaps you'll have a special story to tell of each one! :biggrin:

I totally agree about the Speedy and the Pochette. I'm a small gal, and the Pochette strap is still too short for me. I personally don't like the way it looks with the extender on it.

I've never smelled Mandarin Epi, but it's ridiculous that it smells like cat pee.

I also think they should add some inside pockets to the bags. And I agree about the hardware!

i agree with the hardware thats really :rant:
but for the speedy well i love the sagging look
and the pochette well it wasn´t meant to be a handbag so i am fine with the normal strap to attach it to the bags and find it ok to charge for the expander

MandB said:

1. Speedy- The sagging. My SA commented on the shape of mine, and I told him I had put cardboard in it. He said they weren't allowed to tell customers to do that. Now I realize that I bought the bag despite the sagging, but why make an expensive bag that sags?

If you don't like the sag of the speedy then you don't buy a speedy IMO. That's like saying you like the Alma but you hate that it looks triangular in shape. It's supposed to look triangular in shape, it was designed this way. The same is true of the speedy. The speedy was made to sag - if you ask any affluent SA they'll tell you that the "sagging" is the nature of the bag, that's the look it was designed to have. It's odd to me that people who don't like the sag of the speedy buy speedies.:blink:

I posted this elsewhere earlier---a quick fix for the Speedy sag, if it bothers you, is at the dollar store or Target: a plastic shoebox or small tray to set in the bottom. I love the way the sag looks but it makes it hard to find things for me, so I popped the shoebox in and it's a great solution that adds no real weight.

MandB said:
I must first say that I love LV products - A LOT. But, it seems that there are a lot of problems or inconveniences surrounding them. So, here I go.

1. Speedy- The sagging. My SA commented on the shape of mine, and I told him I had put cardboard in it. He said they weren't allowed to tell customers to do that. Now I realize that I bought the bag despite the sagging, but why make an expensive bag that sags?

2. Pochette- Needing an extender. Why don't they just make the strap that comes with it longer? Hardly anyone's arm is that tiny, and I don't want sweat all over my LV. So, if you want to carry the bag you have to shell out more money to make it long enough to go on your shoulder.

1. Maybe because I carry quite a bit, my speedy doesn't sag?

2. Technically a pochette isn't meant to be a purse, which is why the strap isn't long.

Like alot of ladies already have said....

:wtf: Sagging is part of the speedy....I dont think Ive seen any speedy that didnt. Im surprised that so many ladies dont like it....I luv it that way, its unique and comfortable. There is alot of boxy handled bags out there to choose from instead.

The smell is news to me...that does seem off of LV to do..:yes:

The hardware does seem to last, execept that the look of it does go bad as it ages. But not a big problem for me. I believe that they do have certain length of guarentees for them, if im not mistaken.

LV is far better a choice than other brands out there to me. It has the right combo of classy, chic and functionality. No other bag gets the respect that LV does nor has the history...and that is one of the reason alot of ladies invest in it.

I like the Speedys that sag. They look more real to me if you know what I mean. Don´t know about the epi smell since I haven´t smelt it.

lilach said:
i agree with the hardware thats really :rant:
but for the speedy well i love the sagging look
and the pochette well it wasn´t meant to be a handbag so i am fine with the normal strap to attach it to the bags and find it ok to charge for the expander

Yes, the hardware is one of the worst parts... for example, my almost 4 year old pochette's hardware is all silver-colored. It USED to be gold!! :cursing: My Speedy's hardware is amazingly still golden, and it is a few years old too. (PS- i love the sag. It makes the bag look so comfortable!)