**9yr old Mono Speedy..To Keep or Not??**

shellbstyle

Jan 29, 2013
Hi Everyone,

So lately I've been a bit indecisive about whether or not I should keep my Mono Speedy 30 that I've had for 9 years now. In the beginning I loved this bag sooo much that I'm pretty sure I carried it everyday. However, I was young and unaware of how to keep the vachetta clean and with an even patina. So I then stored her away and its been 5+ years since I've used her :sad:

What do you guys think...should I keep her or try to sell her to fund yet another purchase?? :graucho:

I'm attaching pics of her...the handles and the leather tab to zip close are the darkest. If I decided to keep her do you think I would be able to remove some of the dirt on the handles after so many years??

Other than the handles she really is in excellent shape for her age.

**Disclaimer: I am not trying to sell this bag on tPF, just looking for some friendly advice. Thanks!! :biggrin:**

Attachments

• IMG_3299resized.jpg
    IMG_3299resized.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_3300resized.jpg
    IMG_3300resized.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_3302resized.jpg
    IMG_3302resized.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_3304resized.jpg
    IMG_3304resized.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_3306resized.jpg
    IMG_3306resized.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 868
You could try using some leather cleaner on the darker parts to see if you can even out the patina?

If you haven't missed her in 5+ years, I'd say time to sell and get a new bag!

The canvas and the piping look to be in great shape! Would you consider having the handles replaced?

I don't know much about cleaning the vachetta but I'm sure some other TpF'ers can advise!

I think she looks like she is in excellent condition. Try cleaning the leather before you sell her. I rotate my purses so it is always exciting. Have you carried her lately? Maybe that spark would come back???

The canvas and the piping look to be in great shape! Would you consider having the handles replaced?

I don't know much about cleaning the vachetta but I'm sure some other TpF'ers can advise!

I thought about possibly getting the handles replaced...but then she would have that awkward shiny new handles against gracefully aged piping look:lol:

How much does it cost to replace the handles?

It doesn't look terrible, just well loved. :love: I'm not sure about getting the handles replaced, because then they won't match the rest of the bag's pretty patina. I would sell it and buy a new one.

I have a vintage speedy from the early 90s that had similar patina...she cleaned/lightened up pretty well with lovin my bags. After I did it I was so mad for waiting so long!! I love beautifully aged pieces. They speak to the quality and history of the bags.

I would Definitely keep it if it has any sentimental value to you. I know people that have sold it or given it away only to end up repurchasing it again. It's iconic and even though you haven't used it in years you always knew it was there. I think it looks fabulous and vintage I love it. I prefer that look over the lighter patina. ( I hope this helps )

Keep her and use the loving my bags. I'm not sure how much the handles might lighten, but it's definitely worth trying. Once you clean her you could fall right back in love with your speedy!! She's a classic icon!!!

I would Definitely keep it if it has any sentimental value to you. I know people that have sold it or given it away only to end up repurchasing it again. It's iconic and even though you haven't used it in years you always knew it was there. I think it looks fabulous and vintage I love it. I prefer that look over the lighter patina. ( I hope this helps )

She definitely has sentimental value to me...She was my very first LV that I worked hard to purchase straight out of college. Every time I take her out of storage, I can't bear to actual consider selling her...hence why I've held on for so long.

I also agree with you about I preferring the look of nicely patina leather over the brand spanking vachetta.

She definitely has sentimental value to me...She was my very first LV that I worked hard to purchase straight out of college. Every time I take her out of storage, I can't bear to actual consider selling her...hence why I've held on for so long.

I also agree with you about I preferring the look of nicely patina leather over the brand spanking vachetta.

Because of the sentimental value, it's a must-keep. :smile: I'd have her sent out for a little fixer upper, but honestly I'd also still carry it as is. I like patina. :smile: