.93 marquise "F" but SI2 - thoughts?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I have a love-hate relationship with this ring! Not here at moment to photogragh. But while the color is sparkly white, the SI2 isn't too great. I've noticed the bow-tie which I guess is common in marquise shape. But it is kind of cool cause you don't see marquise rings very often. Just wondering - sight unseen - what are your thoughts on these specs? It is in a magnificent platinum setting but the marguise is quite long and skinny. I use to really not care for this shape but I'm beginning to think it is interesting now!

geez - 42 people viewed and not a single comment :sad:
I know - I really need a picture!

Just curious about what others think of a long narrow marquise and if SI2 isn't great....
Really doesn't matter since I own the ring. Sometimes I think it is awesome and other times I think poor quality. But I read an article online today that said with a marquise, you want to see a little bit of a bow-tie. And if bow-tie not there, the cut is too shallow. Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't go for SI2. But that's just me. I've always given up size in a diamond for better cut, clarity and color. But it sounds like you already own it so you should just wear it and enjoy it. I do like marquise and agree the bow tie effect is cool.
Would love to see a modeling shot when you can.

sounds like you've got a 'mindclean' issue. when you have a mindclean issue, it's not unusual to mistake a prong reflection for an inclusion lol. But of course SI2 as a grade can vary tremendously so it can be worth getting to know your stone, so you don't jump at every imagined black dot.

SI2 is graded looking through a 10x loupe, it's not graded with the human eye.
Many SI2 diamonds show no inclusion to the human eye, when viewed from the top.

I have two SI2 diamonds - not specifically through choice, but because I fell in love with these diamonds and were of the size and cut quality available to me in-house at the time I wanted to buy. They are both eyeclean, they are both beautiful, and neither have EVER embarrassed me in public.

With one of them, if you put the diamond up and look directly through the side of the diamond, you can see the (colourless) grademaking inclusion.

The other SI2 diamond you must hold before you, forward and back, at a particular unusual angle with the light coming throught the diamond, and turn slowly, before the twinning wisp inclusion shows. It takes quite a degree of patience, some minutes sometimes, before the inclusion becomes visible with the naked eye.

Obviously these inclusions are NOT visible to even quite the stickybeak observer when I am wearing the ring!

I don't think anyone looking at my stones could ever fairly claim my diamonds were not good quality diamonds. And tbh, their opinion doesn't matter to me anyway. I wear it, I love it, and I get to enjoy it each and every day... so only I matter.

I somewhat trade in diamonds and I've given up some of the most magnificent diamonds because of the S1 stigma. I wouldn't allow myself to buy anything below VS1. Huge mistake. I've been reprimanded at some of the most important Jewelry houses in the world such as Debeers and Graff for thinking this way. All this to say.....I wouldn't necessarily buy an M colour with poor cut. A nice colour with a beautiful cut S1 diamond are the easiest to trade and very sought after. Hope I read your concern correctly :smile1

ame - I love the setting! Love the size and the color and the sentiment. Don't like bow-tie. And I think I like round more. I have a 1.25 round but no sentiment attached to it. I inquired about resetting marquise - which really makes no sense cause I do love my setting verse putting anothe "new" stone in the setting. Jeweler told me a .93 - H color round, SI1 would be $6300 - GIA cert. And he could take a couple hundred off. Sounds high. Thoughts?

ame - I love the setting! Love the size and the color and the sentiment. Don't like bow-tie. And I think I like round more. I have a 1.25 round but no sentiment attached to it. I inquired about resetting marquise - which really makes no sense cause I do love my setting verse putting anothe "new" stone in the setting. Jeweler told me a .93 - H color round, SI1 would be $6300 - GIA cert. And he could take a couple hundred off. Sounds high. Thoughts?

Within the last several years I bought a 1.1 CT VS2 E marquis stone and setting white gold for about $6K. I put some unused gold toward it but it couldn"t have been more than a thousand.

A pic would help but this is what I'm thinking. You already own the stone, it has sentimental value, you love the color, you love the setting and beginning to love the marquis shape. Aside from the bow-tie, you sound like you love the ring. Is the bow-tie really that pronounced or are you concerned about the SI2 rating?
I bet it's beautiful and unique...post a pic!

You really have to look at the diamond in person. Some SI2s are eye clean and amazing and some look like they have lumps of coal in them! I probably looked at 20 different SI2s last week and couldn't believe how different each one is. I prefer pear diamonds and I have found if the inclusion is near the pointy part I couldn't find it... I assume it would be similar with marquise cuts! Good luck!

I can't see any inclusions on it with the naked eye. The thing that bothers me most is how long and narrow the stone is. But I do get compliments on the ring. Some days I like it and other days I do not care for it. But the sentimental value is always there.....

I love a marquise stone set east/west in a bezel setting.

Since the stone means so much to you, I would enjoy it and not worry about the quality. Sometimes the best things are a little imperfect!

Not enough information to know. You can't really assess value with only color, clarity and size. Cut quality is a primary driver.

Can't do a pic right now. But the more I research it, I think it is kind of cool and different. And the quality really isnt too bad.

As for the marquise, if you have sentiment attached, I don't really see much point in resetting or exchanging the stone for another marquise unless the setting is the only significantly sentimental part of it. Just swapping out for a round may not work for the setting, nor might it work if the stone has sentiment attached. You could look into a recut to get it cut into a better quality marquise but you'll lose significant size.

Without a really good, clear photo of the loose stone, there's not a lot we'll glean from a photo anyway.

What are you really wanting to know? If it's worth trading the stone in despite the sentiment?