9-to-5ers - Best Button-Downs?

lillawyer85

Aug 10, 2011
All,

I neeeeeed to hit refresh on my workday wardrobe. When I started work, I purchased Banana no-iron button-downs and loved 'em. They're looking worse for their wear by now, though, and the quality at BR has gone down since I last shopped there.

Looking to take a small step up as well, brand-wise.

Any recommends?

Also - looking at Brooks Brothers. Which fit really is the best fit? Tailored, fitted, classic?

Thank you!!!

I like Theory or Equipment button-downs. Both brands are well-made and have breathable, comfortable fabrics.

I personally did not find the Brooks Brothers button-downs to be breathable. I felt like they made me very warm during the day. I also found that they didn't wear as well as Theory or Equipment.

Brooks Brothers 'Tailored' fit shirts fit me like a dream. I love how they nip in at the waist and don't gap at the bust. I haven't had a problem with breathability. Hugo Boss has beautiful shirts, but they don't quite fit my shape as well as BB. Good luck in your search!

I work in a formal environment and my daily work uniform is a suit (pencil skirt or slim pant) from the Limited and either a silk or cotton button-down.

My favorite silk shirts are my Equipment "Brett" and "Slim Signature" shirts, with my Everlane rounded collar silks as a very close second. The only downside to Equipment is price. Each shirt runs around $200 whereas Everlane's are $80!

For cotton shirts my go-tos are my J. Crew "Stretch Perfect" shirts. They are very durable!