82% of women admit to faking it... (not what you think)

The link isn't working (but I think the problem might be with WSJ). I'm not surprised. Nearly every woman I know has a knock off of some sort. I wonder if they mean a blatant fake, or if it's more of a design rip-off, like Steve Madden stuff.

I always thought "fake" and "knock-off" were synonymous, but I could be totally wrong!

When you read the facts about how counterfeit items are produced and where the profits from the sales go... child labor, drug trafficking, terrorism.... I don't know how you could ever feel ok with wearing something that could possibly have ties to those things.

I suppose we all have our own definintions of "fake", knock-off" or "inspired by".

For me, a fake and a knock-off are the same. They carry the brand name (albeit faked) and try to deceive the buyer.

Inspired by is a term I would use describing designs that get inspiration from the likes of Louboutin, Prada, et al. Many styles of name brand shoes (Jessica Simpson, Aldo, Nine West) were likely inspired by some of the famous designers whose shoes sell for 10 times the price.

Just my thoughts!:smile:

Reactions: Rikireads
Shocked frankly. That's a high percentage. I would rather wear a barrel than a fake! I am a 100% purist lol. Apart from the junk that fakes usually are I would feel embarrassed and deceptive using one. Aside from the original designers having been ripped off you would be contributing to underpaid labour and in some cases child labour.

Last edited: