6 prong or 4 prong E Ring?

I definitely prefer the 4 on mine, esp being a cushion cut - it allows the diamond to take center stage! (Sorry for the terrible quality photo!) Sometimes I feel like 6 looks almost like a hand clawing at the diamond...but it does add security. Just be careful with it, though, and it should be fine with 4! :smile:

Attachments

• Spk.JPG
    Spk.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 1,281
I went with a 4 prong on a round diamond for the reasons already mentioned: less metal means more focus on the diamond, and the 6 prong looked so round for me. I liked that the 4 prong made the round look like a cushion cut if you only get a quick glance.

I LOVE my 4-prong ring. 6 is more stable because if one prong breaks out of 4, then the diamond will fall out. I'm always afraid of this happening but it didn't stop me from going for the 4-prongs.. I love the way 4 prongs look. The ring has a more princess cut look from afar because the 4 prongs give it a square look but when you look carefully, it's easy to see it is a round solitaire.

4 prong, it highlights the diamond. 6 prongs looks more vintage.
I have several 4 prong rings, never had a problem with any breakage.

I have a 3.67 round brilliant, I originally had 6 prongs and had it reset last Christmas and have 4 claws/prongs now. I prefer 4 - I prefer less metal.

I prefer 6 for the security. A friend of mine had a beautiful 4 pronged diamond ring. She was shopping one day and looked down at her ring, and the large, gorgeous diamond was gone. From the setting she could see that the tip of one of the prongs had broken off. She never did find her diamond, and I'm sure some other shopper got a very pleasant surprise that day.

I have a 3.67 round brilliant, I originally had 6 prongs and had it reset last Christmas and have 4 claws/prongs now. I prefer 4 - I prefer less metal.

I second Kathd: :P we really NEED to see your new setting! I remember you thought it was too highly set. Who did you allow to set your precious ring? I would be so weary to have anyone set a stone as big as yours!