$6,000 fraud by Ebay Seller - How I easily got my money back

I think that could have been the one. It was a really long one, where the buyer said she was shaking as she was writing it... the item was delivered to a nearby address but wasn't hers...

I agree, it is true that you have to be on it definitely. It took me less than two hours and I was very, very surprised at Ebay's efficiency.

But I have to be honest that I think it also does relate also with what kind of spend you have with both Ebay and PP... depending on how much you spend I think. When they give you that six digit code or whatever to key in when you call it's to ID your user account but I remember being told once by someone who shouldn't have told me that I was routed to some type of other customer line. I think it also helped my credibility that I buy a lot on Ebay; my last purchase was a $26k watch. So it is difficult to imagine that I would cry fraud on $6k when my historical spend has been in the seven figures over the several years.

I am just being full disclosure because I didn't mean to make it sound so easy and I do think some of that had to do with it.

BUT I think that the most remarkable takeaway was the night and day difference in outcome from ebay vs paypal.

I think you're referring to Shoppinmel's thread about the same type of scam. She bought an LV Neverfull and the seller sent a package from Amazon to another address in her area. Here's the link: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/have-a-very-bad-feeling-about-bonanza-transaction-876850.html

In my case I was the seller but the buyer tried to pull this same trick with a return. In that case I only had PayPal to deal with because the purchase took place on Bonanza.

Shoppinmel and I exchanged messages about this and determined that the names/addresses were for different people in different parts of the country. But if this is a scamming ring using stolen credit cards it could very well be the same person/people.

I'm glad you got your money back and I'm glad that the CS rep admitted to you that PP would not be of help to you. Not very reassuring for future transactions but at least you got your money back!

OP, glad to hear that you got your money back.

For USPS, on the signature confirmation form, it lists the address the item was delivered to, the name of the person who signed for the item, and the signature. Is that not the same for UPS?

I think you're referring to Shoppinmel's thread about the same type of scam. She bought an LV Neverfull and the seller sent a package from Amazon to another address in her area. Here's the link: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/have-a-very-bad-feeling-about-bonanza-transaction-876850.html

In my case I was the seller but the buyer tried to pull this same trick with a return. In that case I only had PayPal to deal with because the purchase took place on Bonanza.

Shoppinmel and I exchanged messages about this and determined that the names/addresses were for different people in different parts of the country. But if this is a scamming ring using stolen credit cards it could very well be the same person/people.

I'm glad you got your money back and I'm glad that the CS rep admitted to you that PP would not be of help to you. Not very reassuring for future transactions but at least you got your money back!

Yep, reading the OP's post I determined she must have been talking about my thread. It sounded way too familiar! :cursing: The difference is that I didn't have any helpful Ebay reps to assist me as my transaction was through Bonanza. Also, the package was shipped via USPS with NO signature confirmation (because the value was $700), so I got no help via the USPS 800 number since they couldn't see the address information on their screens. I had to beg and plead the gal at my post office to type a formal letter stating that the package was delivered to an address other than mine and submit it to Paypal (because without it they were going to find in her favor). I wish I could have resolved my case so easily!

Indeed, it was Shoppinmel! I remember the neverfull and bonanza.

Thank you; I too am glad. And you are right, buyers are just as bad. I was recently made aware that a major luxury seller's website was scammed by a buyer who had their item shipped to a building in NY right next door; the buyer went to that apt building's front desk every day to say that there was a package misdelivered going there and to please give it to her. She then turned around and filed a chargeback saying there was a typo in the delivery address and she never got the package. Since the tracking shows the front desk signed for it, they could not prove that it was actually given to the rightful buyer.

I apologize if you were asked this question. Was there a view-able signature online to begin with?

No; the sig wasn't viewable but there was a name "signed for by x." The front desk of the apt building down the street.

OP, glad to hear that you got your money back.

For USPS, on the signature confirmation form, it lists the address the item was delivered to, the name of the person who signed for the item, and the signature. Is that not the same for UPS?

No, the UPS tracking just showed the name of the signer, the weight of the package, and whether it was residential or commercial, and also the zip code and city.

Yep, reading the OP's post I determined she must have been talking about my thread. It sounded way too familiar! :cursing: The difference is that I didn't have any helpful Ebay reps to assist me as my transaction was through Bonanza. Also, the package was shipped via USPS with NO signature confirmation (because the value was $700), so I got no help via the USPS 800 number since they couldn't see the address information on their screens. I had to beg and plead the gal at my post office to type a formal letter stating that the package was delivered to an address other than mine and submit it to Paypal (because without it they were going to find in her favor). I wish I could have resolved my case so easily!

I'm so glad that they did that letter for you. Bless her. And all of these scammers need to be put in jail. I was so livid in the very beginning, I was on the verge of making sure that I found out who they were and that they never sold online again. Well, the ebay account was deactivated right after I was refunded and I got an email from Ebay saying the account was hacked. I still have on my to do list to report the incident to the FBI internet fraud division in hopes that if they get enough of these reports, they can subpoena Ebay for the information (which Ebay is probably too busy to report) so that they can go after these fraudsters for federal prosecution. They are a menace to society and need to be stopped. They will not stop.