50th Birthday Bag for Special Friend

nywife

Nov 30, 2012
A lady who has mentored me through many difficult times in my life is turning 50 soon and I have been thinking of some nice things to get her.

I have put together a little basket of her favorite cosmetics and beauty products but would like to get her a bag too.

She does not own any designer handbags, although I know that she would appreciate one. She has a pretty casual but groomed style (no sweats etc), but wears a lot of beige/cream/khaki/brown/black.

I thought that this bag would suit her http://us.burberry.com/store/womens...rod-37417971-medium-haymarket-check-tote-bag/

I know that burberry doesn't seem to be very popular on here but thought that it would suit her country chic style well.

What do you all think?

have you seen other bags she uses, does she favour patterns etc or something more subdued? I love the country chic image but i wouldn't go for a Burberry check bag, what about a Mulberry East West Bayswater in Oak

I would offer her an LV Speedy!
Elegant, versatile, light weight, waterproof, extremely durable.
I am not fond of Burberry. Some of their bags are made outside the UK....

Lovely idea!!! Must be very good friend. Personally I'd prefer a shoulder bag. What style does she normally wear? The speedy is a fav here but not everybody wants hand held. I love your selection & would use it a lot.

Your selection sounds ideal. Burberry will stand out since it is not seen that often and I am sure she will receive loads of compliments. Another designer to look at is Kate Spade. This season their site seems to have quite a bit of country chic style bags.

Not a fan of Burberry canvas. I'm not a LV canvas fan either to be honest but in that case I agree that a classic Speedy or even a Neverfull would be a good choice as they're real classic.
By the way, that's very sweet of you to get a bag for your friend's birthday!

I personally don't own any bags in Burberry plaid but if you feel it suits her style, go for it. It's classic, a good shape and a good size. I do find that bags are such a personal thing though - you might want to take her bag shopping instead? This way she can choose something she loves and you are sure she will actually use it.

I bought my first LV when I was 49. By that time I felt like the style was too young for me and sold it shortly thereafter. If you are interested in LV I would suggest epi leather. I also agree with the poster who suggested Ferragamo.
The Burberry you chose is beautiful, too, and would be a lovely gift.