50-ish-plus-bag club

immigratty

Dooney & Gucci Girl
Dec 5, 2014
So there is a 50-ish-plus age club, I want to hear from my fellow purse enthusiasts with 50+ bags. There seem to be a lot of ppl on TPF who have been able to keep their numbers "reasonable" [fewer than 20]. 20-49 seems to be a lot, and 50+ seems to be looked at as "ridiculous." What experiences have you had with so many bags in your collection?

1. What do your spouses / boyfriends / family / coworkers say?
2. What are your storage solutions?
3. Do you sell a bag or bags before you buy a new one [or hoard them all like me?]
4. How long have you been collecting?
5. What are the price points of your bags?
6. What is your "rotation schedule?"
7. Do you actually wear all of your bags? or are there some you haven't worn in years but you still keep?
8. Do you have designer faves, or are you kind of all over the map with brands?
9. Do you have a lot of duplicates [same bag in different color / material]?
10. What number of bags do you actually have?
11. And the most important, and the questions I get asked the most, why on Earth do you feel the need to have so many bags? Eventually doesn't it just get repetitive?

All of this and more, I'm sure I missed out on some really good questions. Also, PLEASE POST PICS of your collections...we LOVE pics!! :biggrin::biggrin:

OK I'll start.

1. My soon to be ex DH, was actually an enabler, I believe that is part of the reason my collection got so out of control. He'd be like you should get this bag, or later on you'll regret when it's unavailable. Everyone else [with the exception of my mom thinks I"m insane for having so many bags.
2. Storage solutions, thank Goodness I have a lot of extra storage space, I purchase really large baker's racks, and each fits quite a few purses. I have four dedicated to bags, that are all full, and I have room to add an additional 4 before it becomes a "problem."
3. I answered this question in the original post, I hoard. never sold a bag.
4. I have been collecting for more than 10 years, nearing 15 years.
5. I have Luxury and Contemporary brands, about 1/3 Luxe, 2/3 Contemporary. The majority of my collection are Gucci and Dooney & Bourke.
6. I wear 2-3 bags per day, and I change my bag to match my outfit. So I generally wear different bags everyday, unless it's during the semester, then my "day bag" is always the same on days I have classes.
7. I do have some bags I haven't worn in years, most would be signature/monogram bags, I used to love those when I was younger, when I first started collecting most of my bags were siggies/mono, now, I abhor siggies/mono or anything that is obviously outwardly a certain designer, and wear Leather or Python almost exclusively. There are some of my siggy bags I love [mostly because the color scheme] and I will wear those occasionally, but I generally avoid bags with outward signs of being a specific designer like the plague. [unless of course it's the Gucci Stirrup, Horsebit, Bamboo handle or something that does not include monogram, signature, or overly gaudy medallions]
8. My two fave designers are Dooney & Bourke and Gucci. while I have other designers [Burberry, LV, Prada, Coach, Kenneth Cole, etc.] I literally NEVER wear them. [mostly because they have obvious logos or designs on them, something I really try to avoid]
9. There are a few styles of bags that I LOVE, and I will get them in various colors and materials, but for the most part, I prefer to have differing styles of bags [with different silhouettes].
10. I really can't answer this question, I took a count, but have purchased a few, so definitely more than 100, but almost certain less than 150. If I had to guess I'd say 130.
11. I love bags, preferably with different silhouettes. Just like we change our clothes daily, I feel like bags should be changed to match our clothes. And bags [high quality bags which is all I buy/receive] will literally last a lifetime. They always fit, and just like we coordinate our clothes, shoes, and accessories, bags can make or break and outfit, and accordingly, should be chosen as carefully as everything else we wear, maybe even moreso. I love to have many options as well.

Here are pics of everything I have posted on TPF, although it is not my entire collection, it gives a good idea of the type of bags that are in my collection.

Gucci Bags Posted:

GucciPostedPicsCropped_zpsoa1e0fxd.jpg

Dooney Bags Posted:

DooneyPostedPicsCropped2_zpsf0cul5v2.png

DooneyPostedPicsCropped1_zpsz0vsgyzs.jpg

So there is a 50-ish-plus age club, I want to hear from my fellow purse enthusiasts with 50+ bags. There seem to be a lot of ppl on TPF who have been able to keep their numbers "reasonable" [fewer than 20]. 20-49 seems to be a lot, and 50+ seems to be looked at as "ridiculous." What experiences have you had with so many bags in your collection?

3. Do you sell a bag or bags before you buy a new one [or hoard them all like me?]
7. Do you actually wear all of your bags? or are there some you haven't worn in years but you still keep?
11. And the most important, and the questions I get asked the most, why on Earth do you feel the need to have so many bags? Eventually doesn't it just get repetitive?

All of this and more, I'm sure I missed out on some really good questions. Also, PLEASE POST PICS of your collections...we LOVE pics!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I don't know whether it's a good thing to admit to being in this club :giggles:.

I've never counted all my bags at one but I know it must be over 50. I keep the 'main' ones catalogued so I know I have 36 Guccis, 6 Hermes, 5 BVs, 5 Chanels, at least 5 Trussardi, 3 bespoke Picketts, 3 Loewe, 2 Sonia Rykiel, 2 Chloe, a Mark Jacobs, Barbarto, YSL, Balenciaga, Delvaux, Prada, Dior etc and numerous amazing vintage bags mostly exotic/exquisite/unusual including Christian Dior.... so there's no denying I qualify for this club.

Good questions, so here goes:

a. My family have always liked nice things and bought the best they could, it's their fault :P.
b. BF moans but then loves/uses all the messengers I've bought for him. He only occasionally notices something new and by then it's usually years old. He never recognises anything black or grey as new :graucho:
c. No one ever notices in media or music. In working fashion circles they only ever notice Chanel, BV or Hermes (Celine if I owned one) and they're too cool to make a fuss unless they know me well. Sometimes I have a feeling it gives me respect among some more commercially minded fashion students.

Half of my vintage collection has gone so that's helped
Hobos store flat and totes one inside another.
Hardest to store are the very structured handbags. They stand sideways, lined-up like soldiers on top of my glass cabinet and linen press - these are worth the extra space as they're my favourite. Same for my H Plume and the posher couple of vanity cases I have.
I fill up Bostons and luggage with other bags like clutches :biggrin:.
Some 'bags' are storage in such as my LV suitcase (needs repairing).

More out than in ATM, although many of them are smaller bags. I bought 4 bags in the last 12 months but 9 others have gone and found appreciative homes.

Since I was 10.
I was especially impressed by vintage beaded bags back then.

0<£5K

Approx 4-6 bags plus 1 briefcase per season, usually 'shopped' from my current collection.
Add to this carefully selected bags for special occasions or evening
Plus luggage if traveling

They have to be in wearable condition but I don't have to wear them to justify as some of them are very old or special - there is only room for a few of those.

I'll only buy Gucci, Hermes and BV now.
Any company that can't be bothered maintain its goods for a lifetime can't have any of my business :sunnies.

3 Gucci New Bamboo Top handles (1 is a different size but the other 2 though both also grey have different hw colour and details)
4 Gucci Bamboo Top-handles in all
2 different bags in the same colour from Hermes (different leathers too)
2 Gucci Horse-bit Chain shoulder bags in different sizes
5 Horse-bit chain bags in different shapes colour or sizes from each subsequent season - Horse-bits are a thing with me, I also have shoes, jewellery and scarf rings
2 vintage Burberry shoulder bags exactly the same
3 Gucci Bostons in different sizes (2 canvas and 1 suede)
2 Gucci bags in the same blue but in suede and python
3 Hermes bags in the same leather
2 Gucci brown bags with red/green sig web-stripe

Don't know, never counted but see above for ones I have counted.

Partly, my vintage 'collection' was something inherited from work as a buyer/supplier of period costume for TV and films
'Brand wise' I was far more into RTW, many of my first designer bags were inherited.
Not if one 'upgrades' and finds good new homes for others - I must say I am enjoying and using my handbag collection more and more.

I don't know whether it's a good thing to admit to being in this club :giggles:.

I've never counted all my bags at one but I know it must be over 50. I keep the 'main' ones catalogued so I know I have 36 Guccis, 6 Hermes, 5 BVs, 5 Chanels, at least 5 Trussardi, 3 bespoke Picketts, 3 Loewe, 2 Sonia Rykiel, 2 Chloe, a Mark Jacobs, Barbarto, YSL, Balenciaga, Delvaux, Prada, Dior etc and numerous amazing vintage bags mostly exotic/exquisite/unusual including Christian Dior.... so there's no denying I qualify for this club.

Good questions, so here goes:

a. My family have always liked nice things and bought the best they could, it's their fault :P.
b. BF moans but then loves/uses all the messengers I've bought for him. He only occasionally notices something new and by then it's usually years old. He never recognises anything black or grey as new :graucho:
c. No one ever notices in media or music. In working fashion circles they only ever notice Chanel, BV or Hermes (Celine if I owned one) and they're too cool to make a fuss unless they know me well. Sometimes I have a feeling it gives me respect among some more commercially minded fashion students.

Half of my vintage collection has gone so that's helped
Hobos store flat and totes one inside another.
Hardest to store are the very structured handbags. They stand sideways, lined-up like soldiers on top of my glass cabinet and linen press - these are worth the extra space as they're my favourite. Same for my H Plume and the posher couple of vanity cases I have.
I fill up Bostons and luggage with other bags like clutches :biggrin:.
Some 'bags' are storage in such as my LV suitcase (needs repairing).

More out than in ATM, although many of them are smaller bags. I bought 4 bags in the last 12 months but 9 others have gone and found appreciative homes.

Since I was 10.
I was especially impressed by vintage beaded bags back then.

0<£5K

Approx 4-6 bags plus 1 briefcase per season, usually 'shopped' from my current collection.
Add to this carefully selected bags for special occasions or evening
Plus luggage if traveling

They have to be in wearable condition but I don't have to wear them to justify as some of them are very old or special - there is only room for a few of those.

I'll only buy Gucci, Hermes and BV now.
Any company that can't be bothered maintain its goods for a lifetime can't have any of my business :sunnies.

3 Gucci New Bamboo Top handles (1 is a different size but the other 2 though both also grey have different hw colour and details)
4 Gucci Bamboo Top-handles in all
2 different bags in the same colour from Hermes (different leathers too)
2 Gucci Horse-bit Chain shoulder bags in different sizes
5 Horse-bit chain bags in different shapes colour or sizes from each subsequent season - Horse-bits are a thing with me, I also have shoes, jewellery and scarf rings
2 vintage Burberry shoulder bags exactly the same
3 Gucci Bostons in different sizes (2 canvas and 1 suede)
2 Gucci bags in the same blue but in suede and python
3 Hermes bags in the same leather
2 Gucci brown bags with red/green sig web-stripe

Don't know, never counted but see above for ones I have counted.

Partly, my vintage 'collection' was something inherited from work as a buyer/supplier of period costume for TV and films
'Brand wise' I was far more into RTW, many of my first designer bags were inherited.
Not if one 'upgrades' and finds good new homes for others - I must say I am enjoying and using my handbag collection more and more.

OMG, your response is so organized...I feel like I need a redo on mine. But I love bags [probably too much] and love to hear everyone's "bag stories" thanks so much for sharing yours PT.

OMG, your response is so organized...I feel like I need a redo on mine. But I love bags [probably too much] and love to hear everyone's "bag stories" thanks so much for sharing yours PT.

Thanks immigratty

It seems like we have a hard time convincing people to admit to owning 50 bags +. I know on this forum there are many is :biggrin:

Thanks immigratty for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses from both papertiger and yourself.

No judgment from me over here. I personally enjoy seeing and learning about the fabulous pieces in the collections of others. I daresay budget, lack of storage space and a DH who would freak out, have limited the expansion of my bag collection. :P

I hope the thread gets more participants. Its clear that Purse Forum is a home for bag lovers who would qualify in the 50+ bag category. Their bag showcases are proof of that.

Thanks for sharing, ladies!

Great thread, Immigratty!
I try to be an equal opportunity bag collector...Hermes, Chanel, Fendi, Bal, Dior, Gucci, Mulberry, Celine, Chloe, LV, Prada, MJ and recently MG.
I'm fickle and like to pursue hard to find bags. The chase is usually better then actually using the damn bags. I have whittled my collection down to about 20 bags and have loaned several Chanel bags to my Goddaughter, who lives in LA and goes to fancy functions. I live in "fashion hell" so have no place to wear the bags I have. After investing in a Birkin, that I never use, I look at purchasing in a different light. I'm also too lazy to change bags often. I'm always in awe of members that rotate their bags or even have places to wear their bags.
Oh well...maybe in another life!

I'm in:smile:
1. My late husband never said anything much, other than that I have "a lot of stuff" haha. But it was usually with a smile, and he never begrudged any of my purchases. He bought me my first Coach, two Dooneys and just a few months before he died, he bought my first Louie. Everyone else in the family that notices either laughs at the craziness or is quietly summing up the inheritance LOL. It helps to be 1500 miles away though, because I have a feeling some might doubt my sanity. Coworkers thoughts - I'm not sure, maybe it's better I don't know.
2.-3. Currently they're in dustbags on closet shelves and in storage drawers under the bed. I will sometimes donate bags (Goodwill, etc) and last fall, I sold three at a lux consignment shop. For the most part though, I keep my bags.
4.-7. I have loved purses since I can remember. I can remember the thrill of Easter when I was young was getting my new purse every year. White plastic with clear vinyl inset in the front with a tiny little fabric flower under the vinyl. That would be about 54 years ago! The serious collecting that I'm currently doing though has probably only been for the past 12-13 years. Before that, I would buy one new bag each spring/summer, one new bag each fall. And then carry that one exclusively until the next one came along. Then in 2003 I bought my first Dooney. I had loved them since I first saw them in the Spiegel catalog back in the early 80's. But they were outside my budget. But once I got the first one, there has been no looking back. The price points range from a couple hundred to (gulp) several thousand. This year I promised myself to change them at least weekly to try and give all of them a turn. I have my favorites though so hopefully I'll be successful with this.
8-9 I do have my favorites and I am all over the place! From Vera Bradley and Spartina (who something tells me they wouldn't link themselves together like that!) to contemp designers (I'll always be a Dooney girl at heart), Coach, Brahmin to my premiums Louis Vuitton, Valentino and Balenciaga. With a craving to someday own a Chanel. I don't consider myself a bag snob though because if I love the bag, I buy it and wear it proudly. I adore my Veras especially for travelling because there's no way most of my bags are sitting on an airplane floor. With the Veras, I come home and can toss them right in the washing machine. Plus they're lightweight and pretty. Brahmin has surpassed Coach right now for me, but then again, late last fall I bought one of the new Coach Patchwork totes because it was instant love. (Black leather & suede patchwork, gorgeous!!!) For my 60th birthday last year, I bought pre-loved my two HG bags: an LV Capucines and Alma Amarante. OMG!!! this is why it's good I'm 1500 miles away from those that could have me committed. And hopefully they don't read purseforum because none of them knows.
9-10 I don't know the actual number of bags I have, let's say conservatively though it's between 50 and 75. If I ever do add them all up, I'll come back here someday and edit this post to include the actual number. Without adding though, I'm sure I qualify to join this thread. The only duplicates I currently have are with the Veras, same style just different patterns. But I wouldn't be surprised to see another speedy or alma come my way. (I better not see another capucines unless I hit that powerball!)
And last but not least, why so many??? Why indeed??? I love handbags, I always have. I'm not a shoe person, or what I would consider a clothes horse. Yes it probably is an addiction, but I don't smoke, don't drink, don't use drugs, don't gamble (well, not counting the powerball pool at work). So it's my vice. But we all have them, right? And as long as I'm happy and not hurting anyone, it is my money that I'm earning so I think it's okay. I pay my bills, I donate to charity and I adore handbags! And purseforum!!!! Because I know I can say this here and you won't judge me.
Thanks, Immigratty for starting this. I'm anxious to see what others have to say.

My savers of a family can't understand it, but doesn't really matter. I can afford it, and all my essentials are taken care of.

I stack them up in boxes.

Depends on if the ones I have fits my lifestyle. If they do, I'll just buy another that really catches my eye.

Since college; 12 years or so.

0-<1K per bag.

I switch at least twice a week. Sometimes even twice a day; that's all contingent on my outfits.

Yes. Some are getting a bit old, which I am thinking of retiring.

Currently Coach has my eye; other brands in my collection include Ferragamo, Reed Krakoff, Lanvin, Prada, Tods, etc.

7 Coach borough bags, 3 Coach Nomads, and two Lanvin Amalia.

Right now I have 49, but #50 is will arrive maybe next month.

All the bag matches different outfits, and none of them really repeats in function. If there is a style I like, however, I'll have multiples of different leathers/colors, but never in the same exact combination.

I'm quite happy with 'all' my bags - let others judge :cool:

haha RIGHT. and they do lol

Thanks immigratty for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses from both papertiger and yourself.

No judgment from me over here. I personally enjoy seeing and learning about the fabulous pieces in the collections of others. I daresay budget, lack of storage space and a DH who would freak out, have limited the expansion of my bag collection. :P

I hope the thread gets more participants. Its clear that Purse Forum is a home for bag lovers who would qualify in the 50+ bag category. Their bag showcases are proof of that.

Thanks for sharing, ladies!

I'm so glad you have enjoyed it. I think my hoarding more than anything else has thrust me into this club haha. I am just always freaking out if I get rid of a bag, I'll miss it and it will be unavailable in the future. crazy I know.

Great thread, Immigratty!
I try to be an equal opportunity bag collector...Hermes, Chanel, Fendi, Bal, Dior, Gucci, Mulberry, Celine, Chloe, LV, Prada, MJ and recently MG.
I'm fickle and like to pursue hard to find bags. The chase is usually better then actually using the damn bags. I have whittled my collection down to about 20 bags and have loaned several Chanel bags to my Goddaughter, who lives in LA and goes to fancy functions. I live in "fashion hell" so have no place to wear the bags I have. After investing in a Birkin, that I never use, I look at purchasing in a different light. I'm also too lazy to change bags often. I'm always in awe of members that rotate their bags or even have places to wear their bags.
Oh well...maybe in another life!

ok, your response had me LITERALLY :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: I don't live in a fashion paradise myself, and make opportunities. as a matter of fact, it's probably wanting to wear my bags that has prevented me from becoming a hermit. 20 is a very nice collection, and probably the most reasonable size. but yes, after a 5 figure investment you don't get to use often, I can imagine how that could put a damper on collecting. so sorry for that :sad:

I'm in:smile:
1. My late husband never said anything much, other than that I have "a lot of stuff" haha. But it was usually with a smile, and he never begrudged any of my purchases. He bought me my first Coach, two Dooneys and just a few months before he died, he bought my first Louie. Everyone else in the family that notices either laughs at the craziness or is quietly summing up the inheritance LOL. It helps to be 1500 miles away though, because I have a feeling some might doubt my sanity. Coworkers thoughts - I'm not sure, maybe it's better I don't know.
2.-3. Currently they're in dustbags on closet shelves and in storage drawers under the bed. I will sometimes donate bags (Goodwill, etc) and last fall, I sold three at a lux consignment shop. For the most part though, I keep my bags.
4.-7. I have loved purses since I can remember. I can remember the thrill of Easter when I was young was getting my new purse every year. White plastic with clear vinyl inset in the front with a tiny little fabric flower under the vinyl. That would be about 54 years ago! The serious collecting that I'm currently doing though has probably only been for the past 12-13 years. Before that, I would buy one new bag each spring/summer, one new bag each fall. And then carry that one exclusively until the next one came along. Then in 2003 I bought my first Dooney. I had loved them since I first saw them in the Spiegel catalog back in the early 80's. But they were outside my budget. But once I got the first one, there has been no looking back. The price points range from a couple hundred to (gulp) several thousand. This year I promised myself to change them at least weekly to try and give all of them a turn. I have my favorites though so hopefully I'll be successful with this.
8-9 I do have my favorites and I am all over the place! From Vera Bradley and Spartina (who something tells me they wouldn't link themselves together like that!) to contemp designers (I'll always be a Dooney girl at heart), Coach, Brahmin to my premiums Louis Vuitton, Valentino and Balenciaga. With a craving to someday own a Chanel. I don't consider myself a bag snob though because if I love the bag, I buy it and wear it proudly. I adore my Veras especially for travelling because there's no way most of my bags are sitting on an airplane floor. With the Veras, I come home and can toss them right in the washing machine. Plus they're lightweight and pretty. Brahmin has surpassed Coach right now for me, but then again, late last fall I bought one of the new Coach Patchwork totes because it was instant love. (Black leather & suede patchwork, gorgeous!!!) For my 60th birthday last year, I bought pre-loved my two HG bags: an LV Capucines and Alma Amarante. OMG!!! this is why it's good I'm 1500 miles away from those that could have me committed. And hopefully they don't read purseforum because none of them knows.
9-10 I don't know the actual number of bags I have, let's say conservatively though it's between 50 and 75. If I ever do add them all up, I'll come back here someday and edit this post to include the actual number. Without adding though, I'm sure I qualify to join this thread. The only duplicates I currently have are with the Veras, same style just different patterns. But I wouldn't be surprised to see another speedy or alma come my way. (I better not see another capucines unless I hit that powerball!)
And last but not least, why so many??? Why indeed??? I love handbags, I always have. I'm not a shoe person, or what I would consider a clothes horse. Yes it probably is an addiction, but I don't smoke, don't drink, don't use drugs, don't gamble (well, not counting the powerball pool at work). So it's my vice. But we all have them, right? And as long as I'm happy and not hurting anyone, it is my money that I'm earning so I think it's okay. I pay my bills, I donate to charity and I adore handbags! And purseforum!!!! Because I know I can say this here and you won't judge me.
Thanks, Immigratty for starting this. I'm anxious to see what others have to say.

Thanx for your response, and I was :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: as I read this, because I too will always be a Dooney girl at heart, and I too have no other vices [shoes, drugs, smoke, alcohol, etc.] and love love LOOOOOOOOOOVE handbags. and yes, I'm at least 500 miles from my relatives [some further] only my mom knows how ridiculous it has gotten, lol. and that LV Capuccines bag is LOVE LOVE LOVE

My savers of a family can't understand it, but doesn't really matter. I can afford it, and all my essentials are taken care of.

I stack them up in boxes.

Depends on if the ones I have fits my lifestyle. If they do, I'll just buy another that really catches my eye.

Since college; 12 years or so.

0-<1K per bag.

I switch at least twice a week. Sometimes even twice a day; that's all contingent on my outfits.

Yes. Some are getting a bit old, which I am thinking of retiring.

Currently Coach has my eye; other brands in my collection include Ferragamo, Reed Krakoff, Lanvin, Prada, Tods, etc.

7 Coach borough bags, 3 Coach Nomads, and two Lanvin Amalia.

Right now I have 49, but #50 is will arrive maybe next month.

All the bag matches different outfits, and none of them really repeats in function. If there is a style I like, however, I'll have multiples of different leathers/colors, but never in the same exact combination.

YASSSSSSSSS.

and ladies, if we have pics, let's post 'em. Or post links to your bag showcases if you have one.