40 Pairs of CL's in one day!

If I were Blake Lively, I wouldn't have done it differently. I relish on any opportunity for deep discounts, and would easily buy 5 pairs at 80%. Her annual salary is much much much more than mine, so if I made what she did, I probably would too (again, assuming that all the styles fit me). Let's face it, the window of opportunity in the tv/movie world is so unpredictable so I would take advantage of every opportunity while i can.

Celebrities aren't the only ones getting special treatment. Many TPF members get special invites not open to the public. While I envy all, I know that I do not have the disposable income or public exposure to get to that level, c'est la vie.

Sometimes I wish they'd actually open up these sales to people who cherish and value their CL's. Not so sure that hoarding 40 pairs at once will actually make her appreciate any of it.

Just using your post as an example, katran, so please don't take offense. :flowers:

As naked put it, it is very easy to judge a celebrity.

None of us know Blake Lively or whether she cherishes and appreciates the things she has. I don't think it is appropriate for any of us to judge and assume. In addition, IMHO, I cannot help but feel that this bitterness and speculation that she does not appreciate what she has stems from simple jealousy.

I'm a newbie here and I hope I won't upset anyone, but I think I see both sides here.

I do think in a way that it's "unfair" that the rich and the famous can benefit from discounts they don't "need" since they can afford anything they want anyway, while a pair of Loubies can be a hefty sacrifice for us mere mortals and we can't get in the secret sample sale club.

This being said, M. Louboutin is not running a charity, and I'm certain all those celebs wearing Loubies everywhere are the best advertisement ever (and no one has to know they got them at 80% off ;)) - so, celebrity-only sample sales? Excellent business decision. I just wish I was Blake, in this instance ;)

As for the "if you really want a pair, you'll manage", I'm really not so sure (not to single you out, SOMM, I'm just commenting generally as it's something I've read several times).

Let me tell you that back when I laid awake at night worrying that I wouldn't manage to pay the rent, and when I had a hole in my one and only pair of shoes, that I simply couldn't afford to have taken to the cobbler (sorry for the Dickens sob story, but there you are), buying a pair of CL would have been, well, way out. A mere pair of New Simples amounts to one month's rent for many families. For some of us, buying a pair of designer shoes is but the tiniest dent in the budget and they could afford dozens a month, for some others, every pair means saving up for quite some time. But in both cases, I believe we're all really privileged to be able to afford at all the wonderful products of M.Louboutin's genius!

Just my 0.2$ :flowers:

:tup:

Just using your post as an example, katran, so please don't take offense. :flowers:

As naked put it, it is very easy to judge a celebrity.

None of us know Blake Lively or whether she cherishes and appreciates the things she has. I don't think it is appropriate for any of us to judge and assume. In addition, IMHO, I cannot help but feel that this bitterness and speculation that she does not appreciate what she has stems from simple jealousy.

No offense taken - no worries ;)

Well, as you said, and as I believe, yes - no one can judge whether she values her CLs more than anyone else.

However, from a personal standpoint, I know that when I hoard something, or accumulate vast quantities of something, it becomes less valued in my eyes. That was all I was saying. Having access to delicious eclair once in a while vs. dozens at a time, makes the item more exclusive and valued to me.

But that's just my opinion.

No offense taken - no worries ;)

Well, as you said, and as I believe, yes - no one can judge whether she values her CLs more than anyone else.

However, from a personal standpoint, I know that when I hoard something, or accumulate vast quantities of something, it becomes less valued in my eyes. That was all I was saying. Having access to delicious eclair once in a while vs. dozens at a time, makes the item more exclusive and valued to me.

But that's just my opinion.

I absolutely agree.

:yes:

It's nice to see a celebrity that is somewhat frugal and buying stuff for her friends and family, I would rather this than those people that buy 40 pairs just to re sell on evilbay for profit and leave nothing for us regular people to enjoy...just my opinion :smile:

At some point I don't know if they really enjoy what they buy. It's like groceries for celebs. Seriously. Is Victoria Beckham still over the moon when she unveils another Hermès bag ? I do not know. I hope so, for her, because that's very important to treasure what we have, rather than accumulating over-indulgences without a meaning.

I totally agree with this - I think I would not appreciate them as much as I do if I could just buy as many as I wanted any old time. It would make them less special for sure. Now, I would still manage to wear them all of course... :graucho:

*Edit - I just read the rest of this thread and let me just spell it out in case I get misunderstood: this is no way, shape or form a judgment on what Ms. Lively spends her money on or whether or not she appreciates her shoes. Only that I know myself and that I would definitely not appreciate them as much.

Last edited:
i believe she can spend her money however she'd like so im not judging her or any wealthy person BUT why do the boutiques, or whoever, have these sample sales for people who can afford full retail anyway? its only by invitation right? and the ones who are invited are the rich and famous? are my assumptions accurate? if so, i just dont get it. anyway, still wish i had her bank account.
I agree with you.

I can see all points of view presented on this thread.

It's very easy for someone who buys 40 pairs of designer shoes in 1 trip to not treasure them (even if they cost $100/pair, that's still $4K, which is a lot of money for most people). That's not to say that this is Blake. I don't know her, either. But the tendency to appreciate a pair of CLs more is greater in someone who has just 1 than in someone who has 1000.

It certainly is unfair that celebrities get special treatment, but it happens all the time. I live in LA, and I see this pretty much everywhere. Celebrities get the best seats in the house to sold-out-months-in-advance events, even if they request tickets the same day of the event. They never wait for a table. They get free valet parking in restricted lots, while us mere mortals have to walk a mile after parking on the street, then feed the meter quarter after quarter. And they get discounts for items they can easily afford. A few years ago, I was at the Jimmy Choo boutique in Beverly Hills with a celebrity who shall remain nameless (she's not A-list famous, like Sandra Bullock, but pretty well-known). We were waited on at the same time by 2 different SAs. She and I chatted, and everything was fine, then we both happened to be ready to pay at the same time. My total was given to me, which was the full retail price plus sales tax. The celebrity's total was given to her, which was initially full retail and tax, but then she asked, in front of me and the other customers wandering around the store, "Is the manager here? She usually gives me a discount". I was a little taken aback that she just blatantly asked in front of all of us, but I shrugged it off. I'm so used to it happening, it hardly registers anymore.

It's hardly surprising that Blake Lively is getting the treatment she gets at CL. She's a hot young star of the moment, plus with her connections, she has a relationship with Msr. CL (there was an article that discusses it in Vogue).

I can see all points of view presented on this thread.

It's very easy for someone who buys 40 pairs of designer shoes in 1 trip to not treasure them (even if they cost $100/pair, that's still $4K, which is a lot of money for most people). That's not to say that this is Blake. I don't know her, either. But the tendency to appreciate a pair of CLs more is greater in someone who has just 1 than in someone who has 1000.

It certainly is unfair that celebrities get special treatment, but it happens all the time. I live in LA, and I see this pretty much everywhere. Celebrities get the best seats in the house to sold-out-months-in-advance events, even if they request tickets the same day of the event. They never wait for a table. They get free valet parking in restricted lots, while us mere mortals have to walk a mile after parking on the street, then feed the meter quarter after quarter. And they get discounts for items they can easily afford. A few years ago, I was at the Jimmy Choo boutique in Beverly Hills with a celebrity who shall remain nameless (she's not A-list famous, like Sandra Bullock, but pretty well-known). We were waited on at the same time by 2 different SAs. She and I chatted, and everything was fine, then we both happened to be ready to pay at the same time. My total was given to me, which was the full retail price plus sales tax. The celebrity's total was given to her, which was initially full retail and tax, but then she asked, in front of me and the other customers wandering around the store, "Is the manager here? She usually gives me a discount". I was a little taken aback that she just blatantly asked in front of all of us, but I shrugged it off. I'm so used to it happening, it hardly registers anymore.

It's hardly surprising that Blake Lively is getting the treatment she gets at CL. She's a hot young star of the moment, plus with her connections, she has a relationship with Msr. CL (there was an article that discusses it in Vogue).

very good point pr1nc355- it seems to be the way things work...I was initially a little jealous, but hey, there's not much that we (non-celebrities) can do about this. It seems to have been going on for a while and will continue happening.

I just hope that one day, they might open the sale to the public. I'll be the woman sleeping on the corner at 4am waiting to gain entrance. :graucho: