40 cm kelly: togo or clemence?

S

schleifstein

I have been offered a black 40 cm retourne kelly in clemence. I was hoping for togo, but this looked so gorgeous, at least in the store. Any thoughts?

-E

kim_mac

O.G.
Feb 27, 2007
i personally like clemence over togo because clemence is much smoother buttery but in a 40cm, clemence might be too soft and cause the bag to sag. just a generalization since clemence can be as firm as most togo or you could get a togo that is as soft as most clemence. sorry if i'm sounding confusing. if both were the same stiffness, i would choose clemence. you should check it out without any stuffing (eg air pillows) and see how it stands on its own. if you like slouchy, then go clemence!!!

Bag-terfly

O.G.
Sep 24, 2008
Red White & Blue
It really depends if you prefer the bag to have more structure or not. Clemence, especially in larger size bags, will slouch with time. IMHO don't just get it bc it's there. You must really love it.

Jun 16, 2007
I have pondered this very same question. I am not a floppy bag kinda gal. I prefer some structure, though I do feel that since the 40cm is more of a casual bag, the slouch looks great on it. Whoever though sag could look so good! LOL

It is a tough call because I also love how soft clemence feels. It is what made me fall in love with H, yet I do not own any bags in this leather. There is nothing like it...but I do think if it came down to it, I would ultimately settle with togo (or even a more rigid leather like box or epsom in a fun color).

Celia_Hish

“Happiness is the highest good”
O.G.
May 17, 2006
Singapore
i wuld go for togo if u are getting the size 40 as naturally clemence will sag after use. I don't like too slouchy look.

ladyhermes

O.G.
Jul 8, 2008
Europe
I would say that in 40 there is no garantee that the Togo won't sloutch as well so go for it. There is not a huge difference between the two leathers (in my mind). If you want something sturdier I would wait and get another typ of leather such as epsom or fjord.