• 4 prongs

• 6 prongs

Results are only viewable after voting.

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Hi :biggrin:

As many of you know, I am in the market for an engagement ring. I would really appreciate your opinions regarding the setting. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4-prongs-diamond-hub.jpg
    4-prongs-diamond-hub.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 3,028
  • 6-prongs-diamond-hub.jpg
    6-prongs-diamond-hub.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,353
If you have a bigger stone, either is great. It'll look fabulous regardless.

If you have a smaller stone, a 6-prong can overwhelm the entire stone. Too much metal in my opinion. 4-prongs don't necessarily make a stone look more square, if done right, the prongs can be neat and tidy looking (but still secure) and still show off the stone well.

If I have a .75+ carat stone in a plain band, I would opt for a 6-prong because it looks fancier to me and adds a little pizazz to a plain band.
If I have a .75+ carat stone ring with diamonds around the band, I would opt for a 4-prong because the ring is "decorated" with diamonds already.

Last edited:
Oooooh....some great advice here!!! Can't wait for Einseine to weigh in as she has both!- as did I!

I LOVE a 6-pronger.......it's gorgeous, elegant, and secure. I also find that since the prongs encircle the diamond, it makes it look larger in a way.

Now, my current e-ring is a 4-pronger, but the claws are "doubles", so it's a bit more unique than your standard 4-prong setting. My stone is approx 1.3 cts (although looks larger) and some have thought it looks like a cushion due to the way it's set.

It's all a matter of personal preference. You can't go wrong with either. Both are elegant, classic, and timeless. I'd suggest trying some on in person to see what looks prettier on your finger!

Another vote for 6 prongs - always thought it's more classic. But it really depends on the setting too, some 6 prongs settings have rather thick prongs, in that case I'd much rather a double claw 4 prongs.

Congrats and good luck finding your dream engagement ring!

4 prong all the way. I hate seeing all that metal hovering the diamond. It also makes the diamond look much larger.

CIMG5528.jpg

I love 4 prong, I think the slight square-ish-ness makes it look modern, without giving up the sparkle of a RB.

6 prongs but I also love a lot of 4 prong settings, especially double claws

4 prong all the way. I hate seeing all that metal hovering the diamond. It also makes the diamond look much larger.

CIMG5528.jpg

LOVE the ring!!! Babestaaa!

I agree......there's more diamond to see w/ 4 prongs. I :love: mine! Don't know if I'd go back to a 6 prong.......