$300 jeans? Get real!

I happen to buy my jeans from saks off 5th at BOGO 50% I get 2 pair of R&R's for $240 or so... I buy 4 at a time and I am good for a little while. While I do love the look of other designers it comes down to the fit for me

"Jean deals" are kinda deceptive in a sense....... it may be unfair to make comparisons between "brand X" purchased at a 50% discount and "brand x" purchased at full price b/c the two items may be from different tiers from the same designer.

I would disagree because certain big name department stores do carry "off runway" stuff for sale... and they are same tier and the same thing. Or why do we go gaga over "sales" for shoes and bags on the "deals and steals" forum?

then

I would agree that certain stores like Marshalls, Costco, T.J.Maxx or many on-line stores will carry "defects", or even "fakes" that is of a "different tier" from "the designer".

On sale stuff does not mean it is "lesser" than someone purchasing the same thing at full price. Timing may be different since its a longer wait to get the product, but other than that, no difference at all.

Its the status quo mentality that makes us think we are somehow more "special" if we get it first and pay XXX more because it show we could afford that product when in fact, when the 2 walk side by side on the street, we will not be able to pick out who got hers on sale or who paid more for it.

So, I think it would be smarter to spend 50% less for the same product than to pay 100% full retail for it as I do like the money in my pocket.

But again, just me.

I would disagree because certain big name department stores do carry "off runway" stuff for sale... and they are same tier and the same thing. Or why do we go gaga over "sales" for shoes and bags on the "deals and steals" forum?

then

I would agree that certain stores like Marshalls, Costco, T.J.Maxx or many on-line stores will carry "defects", or even "fakes" that is of a "different tier" from "the designer".

On sale stuff does not mean it is "lesser" than someone purchasing the same thing at full price. Timing may be different since its a longer wait to get the product, but other than that, no difference at all.

Its the status quo mentality that makes us think we are somehow more "special" if we get it first and pay XXX more because it show we could afford that product when in fact, when the 2 walk side by side on the street, we will not be able to pick out who got hers on sale or who paid more for it.

So, I think it would be smarter to spend 50% less for the same product than to pay 100% full retail for it as I do like the money in my pocket.

But again, just me.

I don't think you understand what i'm getting at here. I'm not talking about the manufacturer here or the same product that the same manufacturer produces. I'm talking about the different grades of product lines from within the same manufacturer. See...you can get true religion jeans even at 75% discount at legit stores. Yesterday I saw some basic billys, joeys, and logans at 45$ a pair at nordstrom's rack. However these are the low end lines from TRue religions. The high end ones with SUPER T stitching and (many but not all) BIG T stitching jeans don't make it to the outlets or sales b/c the demand is so high and the quantity are so few.

So my point is that I see a lot of people who think the basic line of true religions they purchased at an outlet (basic stitching) is the same as the high end lines sold in dept stores...but it isn't. I'm not saying that if these high end ones were sold at an outlet or a dept store that they wouldn't be the same. I'm all for buying at the cheapest possible price. However, the reality is that many of the high end lines from the same jean manufacturer never make it out to a sale or an outlet b/c they are so few in quantity and the demand is SO high. In the chicagoland area, I went to 2 saks outlets (3 at one point before that last one closed) for at least 45 weeks of the year on a thursday for about 3years so I could get the max selection and beat the weekend crowd. Not ONCE have I seen True religions at an outlet that were in the Super T stitch..and I've only seen one in a BIG T stitch (which is the one I bought for myself). On the other hand they seem to have at least 50+ jeans in the basic low end styles.

This is the marketing strategy of premier denim companies like R&R, True religion...

They have a general cheaper line from their brand that they make significant quantities of and release it to outlets/discount stores targetting the bargain hunting consumer/avg american. These consumers usually think that true religion is true religion or R&R is R&R as long as they see the mark. The company knows they can't squeeze 150$+ from these people...so they produce lots of the basic models and sell them at around 80-99$, which seems to be the pricing points that a somewhat large audience are willing to fork up for a designer pair.

On the other hand they have their high end lines that they make a very few of (better grade of denim, designs, and stitching) that they target to high end consumers. Of course they cannot mass produce this as they would alienate the ones paying 150$-200$+ for a pair. However there is a quality difference..... Some people can see it and some people can't. I for one can...and I'm willing to fork up that extra for the best of the best from the manufacturer.

I only wear premium denim and I get mine off of ebay. Sometimes u can score some great deals on jeans for much lower than retail price. I rarely pay retail for my jeans anymore since I found ebay. Some stores such as TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc sometimes do carry fake jeans ( usually people return them), so it's best to check the tags and know how to authentic them before you buy them (JMO).

I only wear premium denim and I get mine off of ebay. Sometimes u can score some great deals on jeans for much lower than retail price. I rarely pay retail for my jeans anymore since I found ebay. Some stores such as TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc sometimes do carry fake jeans ( usually people return them), so it's best to check the tags and know how to authentic them before you buy them (JMO).

Yep. You're right...the exception is ebay (for high end products from a premium denim designer) b/c the sellers have little if any overhead costs that B&M stores have.

I think for many it's so hard to find jeans you look and feel comfortable in. It took me the longest time, but I have found this cut of DKNY jeans at Lord & Taylor for around 60$ a pop and I have been buying pairs for the last two years. I swear it feels like these are the only jeans that fit me and I am a size 8 which is sort of a middle ground size, so you would think it wouldn't be so hard to find jeans but it just seems to be.

I would probably buy $20 jeans or $300 jeans if they were the only thing that fit right. I feel lucky to have found this $60 style b/c I think that's a pretty good price range for pants.

If you do enjoy the $300 range jean brands, Loehmann's usually has big discounts on them if you live near one. It's a TJ MAXX type store, but in my opinion carries much better brands than TJ MAXX.

I think for many it's so hard to find jeans you look and feel comfortable in. It took me the longest time, but I have found this cut of DKNY jeans at Lord & Taylor for around 60$ a pop and I have been buying pairs for the last two years. I swear it feels like these are the only jeans that fit me and I am a size 8 which is sort of a middle ground size, so you would think it wouldn't be so hard to find jeans but it just seems to be.

I would probably buy $20 jeans or $300 jeans if they were the only thing that fit right. I feel lucky to have found this $60 style b/c I think that's a pretty good price range for pants.

If you do enjoy the $300 range jean brands, Loehmann's usually has big discounts on them if you live near one. It's a TJ MAXX type store, but in my opinion carries much better brands than TJ MAXX.

I agree re: TJ Maxx. My TJ only carries odd brands, mostly for juniors and I think the sizing on those is really odd. LEI and Mudd is about as high end as my TJ is!

I really seek for quality in jeans. I used to wear Replay and miss sixty jeans and the quality and fit was perfect. Both brands don't sell my models anymore so i needed to look for new yeans. I have had Blue cult jeans and Seven jeans about three yeats ago. Both jeans didn't really fit well but i wanted it for the hype, the seven was extremely low quality wise I wear Esprit jeans now and the quality is amazing for half the price. We get sucked into the hype. I try not to run with everybody and be different. You can have a great pair of jeans for much less.

I agree re: TJ Maxx. My TJ only carries odd brands, mostly for juniors and I think the sizing on those is really odd. LEI and Mudd is about as high end as my TJ is!

Yup--I have really noticed that. Many TJ Maxx have gone very down hill, even in nicer neighborhoods.

Loehmann's however I have seen True Religion and other high end denim....and bag wise they always have Coach and I have even seen Fendi at times.

I've picked up some nice pairs of jeans (sevens, R&R, paige) at consignment stores. Cheaper AND they're already broken in for you.
Only problem is sometimes, the previous owner had them hemmed... and for a 5' 7" long-legged girl like me, it can sometimes get frustrating. It makes the final find all the more awesome, though.