Workplace 30 applications and NO calls. What am I doing wrong???

It is frustrating to get "you're not qualified for the job" I have been job searching for a year now and I still don't have a job. It gets me really down, I've not been sending out applications for a month now to get some rest. I don't even get a job in something I have done for the past 8 years and that was just a job I did aside to pay for college.

Alright, new question!

After having several interviews including background check/ references check and then a final interview, how long do you usually have to wait to hear if you got the job or not?

Alright, new question!

After having several interviews including background check/ references check and then a final interview, how long do you usually have to wait to hear if you got the job or not?

I would say at the pointy end after final interviews, a decision within 2 days unless HR is slack.

Is this for the retail position? If it's been 2 days and you haven't heard, I'd probably send a brief follow up email.

I would say at the pointy end after final interviews, a decision within 2 days unless HR is slack.

Is this for the retail position? If it's been 2 days and you haven't heard, I'd probably send a brief follow up email.

Yes, its for that position. It has been over a week, I followed up last Friday and have not heard back from that either. I don't want to be annoying, but I feel like at this point I must have not gotten it? I was told they would give me a call "very soon" to let me know. Like I said, over a week ago.

Yes, its for that position. It has been over a week, I followed up last Friday and have not heard back from that either. I don't want to be annoying, but I feel like at this point I must have not gotten it? I was told they would give me a call "very soon" to let me know. Like I said, over a week ago.

V frustrating for you :hugs:

It sounds like HR is simply slack - either way, a decision should have been made and you and any other final candidates notified one way or the other.

Alright, new question!

Usually I am told I have the job pending background check then I get the official job offer by FedEx a couple of days later.

Have had experience with this recently - I've found that rejections come faster, it may be a situation in which they love you and one other person, or they need some kind of approval from corporate, something like that.

I can relate to your search. Although I am employed, I am in the process of moving on elsewhere, and HR or hiring committees anywhere are like a huge black box, you have no clue what's going on. I've had some strange situations where they dragged it out, claiming they loved me the entire time, for two months, and then decided not to hire anyone (didn't get approval to bring someone on into their particular group, budgetary issues - that's the assumption, anyways). I've also not heard from a place for three weeks despite follow-up, and then magically, a 2nd interview. I think the economy is making companies extra cautious - which is really frustrating for job candidates!

Please keep us posted and don't give up hope! Also, following up more than once is fair, but at least a week apart, IMHO - and if you wrote to ask the first time, perhaps call the next (or vice versa). I've done it, I felt awkward and pushy, but it ended up working in my favor in at least two instances (I was so surprised because I honestly thought they'd think I was annoying/neurotic, but it seemed to actually be a positive...).

My POV is based only on recent experience looking for a job in my field, but I felt I'd love to share because the whole job search process can really wear anyone down and I've been there :/

Best of luck!!

Alright, new question!

I think it really varies on the position and the company. I've found the more the job pays, the longer they take to get back to you as there's more sign-offs required.

Have had experience with this recently - I've found that rejections come faster, it may be a situation in which they love you and one other person, or they need some kind of approval from corporate, something like that.

I can relate to your search. Although I am employed, I am in the process of moving on elsewhere, and HR or hiring committees anywhere are like a huge black box, you have no clue what's going on. I've had some strange situations where they dragged it out, claiming they loved me the entire time, for two months, and then decided not to hire anyone (didn't get approval to bring someone on into their particular group, budgetary issues - that's the assumption, anyways). I've also not heard from a place for three weeks despite follow-up, and then magically, a 2nd interview. I think the economy is making companies extra cautious - which is really frustrating for job candidates!

Please keep us posted and don't give up hope! Also, following up more than once is fair, but at least a week apart, IMHO - and if you wrote to ask the first time, perhaps call the next (or vice versa). I've done it, I felt awkward and pushy, but it ended up working in my favor in at least two instances (I was so surprised because I honestly thought they'd think I was annoying/neurotic, but it seemed to actually be a positive...).

My POV is based only on recent experience looking for a job in my field, but I felt I'd love to share because the whole job search process can really wear anyone down and I've been there :/

Best of luck!!

Thanks for replying, I'm trying to not completely give up hope on this one. We will be coming up on two weeks soon, and I will follow up again. I was assuming, since they keep telling me how quickly they want someone to start, that they would let me know. I know these things take time, but after every step I have done with them I would hope to not just never hear from them again.

I think it really varies on the position and the company. I've found the more the job pays, the longer they take to get back to you as there's more sign-offs required.

Its a very small company and not a high paying job. More than min wage by quite a bit but not high paying. I'm trying really hard to be optimistic. I really need this one.

I actually think it's the opposite. The screening and interview process takes longer, but once the powers that be have decided who they want and it's down to background check and references, HR tends to dot their i's and cross their t's faster with higher level positions.

Sadly, it takes more than 30. There are too many people out there looking for work. I have sent out hundreds of resumes, used referrals from friends and former colleagues, applied for part-time work and contract work. All of it. I have applied to hundreds of jobs. Probably had only 10 interviews. I know someone who applied to 1600 jobs and only had a dozen interviews. They didn't get a job until someone recommended them. Otherwise, use an agency and go temp-to-hire.

It also takes forever for them to do anything. Most don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge that they have rejected you.

I did not get the job.

I applied for about 10 new jobs today, unfortunately some of the listings did not offer the business name or address so I don't know If I could even get there. I do not have a car yet, so I am taking public transportation. Cant get a car 'till I get a job. Exhausted.