3 month old clothing

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello all!
    When did your baby start using 3 month old clothing (8lbs-12.5lbs)? And for how long did your baby use 3 month old clothing.

I'm having my baby soon and I only have 1 NB outfit (my first and only son only wore NB clothing for less than 2 weeks) I have a lot of NB onesies, NB socks and a couple of NB sleepers. I'm wondering if I should by more NB outfits or wait it out.

Thanks for your input.

2. I would wait. You don't know if your baby is going to be chubby, skinny, tall or short. Julia was in newborn clothes for about a month and Alex...not for very long. A week? If that? He was a tubby baby ;)

3. My daughter was born 7lbs 13ozs, she wore NB clothing for almost 2-2.5 months (she was 95th percentile in her head and length and 50 in weight, so she is pretty average). That was the one thing I wish I had more of. I had about 5 outfits I rotated and kept her in jammies and onsies at home. Even though the 3 month sizing says 8-12.5lbs, they do not fit into the clothing right at 8lbs, she was about 10lbs before they fit.

So that being said unless your baby is measuring very large I would definitely have a few more NB outfits. You could always wait, but who wants to run out and buy NB clothing after you have the baby. You could always keep the tags on and return them later if you don't use them.

4. Thanks for your input. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a few NB outfits and leave them with the tags...I will go tonight and buy 2 for starters. :smile:

5. DS was 7lb, 15oz. I think he only wore NB clothing for a few weeks, but I put 0-3M clothes on him from the time we brought him home. They were big for a week or two, but not big enough to be a problem when he was sleeping or anything - I'd just roll up the sleeves once, etc (also the longer sleeves helped keep him from scratching his face!). I think he was right around 3 months when he started needing 3-6M clothes. With DS, it seemed that the size on the tag was pretty much the maximum age where I could use them!

6. DD was 7 lbs 12 oz. Lo wore NB clothing for about 3 weeks and it was pushing it. I could have prolly started her earlier in 3 month clothing. Sleepers got tight super fast with her long legs and big feet.

7. Same here! I now try and buy them without the footies (not sure if that is the right word!) and just put sock on.

8. Wait it out. The way that children grow can be so unpredictable. My dd was smaller than my ds at birth (1 lb. diff.) but she wound up outgrowing clothing at a much faster rate. She is 5 months and three weeks but is wearing 12 months stuff now. At this time my ds was still in 3-6 months clothing.

9. Like someone else mentioned, it's about body type too - not just weight. (Story of my life. :roflmfao:)

DD was 8lbs 6 oz when she was born... but thanks to DH's & my genetics, she's fairly short. Her torso is longer, but her legs are going to be short. She wore NB sized clothing for alot longer than I expected (keeping in mind that she started out OVER the weight that it ends at and in the 0-3 weight category) and 0-3 month or 3 month items that were from Carter's were HUGE on her. I actually had to go out and buy some newborn outfits.

After about three weeks, she could start wearing some 0-3 months & 3 months things, however for about the first month and a half she still was wearing NB sized pants! The 0-3/3month sized pants would just fall right off of her! She wore the 0-3/3 month sizes until she was literally 3 months old... and then I packed up her closet and everything was switched over to 3-6months/6months sizes by the time she was 3 months, 2 weeks old.

So anyways, I would have a little bit of everything on hand, because who knows how long they may in one size. I would maybe suggest getting a few more sleepers in NB? We only had a few sleepers (by few, I mean 5-6) and I found myself wishing we had more... they were perfect for when she was just born. We used sleepers and t-shirts with her swaddled on the bottom while we were waiting for her belly button to fall off.