“3 in 1” Hermes Birkin from Fall/Winter 2021 Collection

The pochette itself has no hardware and no closure mechanism aside from gravity. I actually think it would be quite cumbersome to put anything inside and/or retrieve it without completely mangling the leather flap, but time will tell.
I agree. One reason I like to leave the flap open is because I like more accessible openings. The clutch is simply to slim to have the flap tucked in and I just know I will be constantly struggling with it when I reach in to retrieve my phone or cardholder.

H Ever After also said:
I’m intrigued by this design... I appreciate the versatility of having a removable pochette but I am not entirely sure how functional it will be, and I’m not in love with the look of the pochette. I’m curious enough I’d like to see it in person first before deciding yay or nay.

Unless there is something really special about this combination that no one has yet understood,
this could be an example of style deconstruction over substance.

You can clearly see in the pictures that the main Birkin bag does NOT have the typical flap and that the only flap is from the removable pochette. Presumably, one could temporarily remove the sangles from their holes and thread the pochette into the sangles to hold it in the front or the back of the bag.
View attachment 5016302
Yeah, I saw that in the later press pics. Good thing I looked around before I finished my review because it was impossible to tell from the runway.

I am not a fan. I feel like they violated something sacred when they did this TBH. But I'm old school, and I very rarely like any of the new designs when it comes to the birkin. I hope this isn't something permanent.

Firstly, GoldFish8, I am not criticising you, but I wonder just what it is that you think Hermes violated?
It seems to me that by removing the flap from this style, Hermes designers have responded to the way that they have seen that Birkins are used.
I have just done a bit of research to test my hunch.
I did a survey.
As a primary source I used the 'Your Hermes in Action' thread.
I looked at all the posts showing Birkins since January 1st this year.
Only three showed a Birkin with the flap over the front of the bag.
Of the three only one had the flap fully fastened over the turnlock and behind the sangles.
I don't recall more than one where, with the flap tucked into the back, the bag was secured with the sangles cinched over the turnlock.

So, next stage in the evolution, thirty-five years time, the sangles and turnlock will disappear too.
Ah, the Birkin Shadow.

Firstly, GoldFish8, I am not criticising you, but I wonder just what it is that you think Hermes violated?
It seems to me that by removing the flap from this style, Hermes designers have responded to the way that they have seen that Birkins are used.
I have just done a bit of research to test my hunch.
I did a survey.
As a primary source I used the 'Your Hermes in Action' thread.
I looked at all the posts showing Birkins since January 1st this year.
Only three showed a Birkin with the flap over the front of the bag.
Of the three only one had the flap fully fastened over the turnlock and behind the sangles.
I don't recall more than one where, with the flap tucked into the back, the bag was secured with the sangles cinched over the turnlock.

So, next stage in the evolution, thirty-five years time, the sangles and turnlock will disappear too.
Ah, the Birkin Shadow.
Hi, don't worry I don't think you are criticizing me, I can't imagine anyone doing that over my opinion on a Birkin :smile:

The design and the style of the Birkin are iconic and there is a history to it that adds to its draw. For me, some things simply shouldn't be messed with and deconstructed, and one of those things is a Birkin. The Birkin is the epitome of a perfect bag (to me) While most people don't use the flap as it was intended to, the design does not intrude on any function when it is tucked back, as most carry it. Also, what would be the point of the lock and clochette? there would be nothing to really close up. I guess one could restrict the entry access point, but that seems kinda forced.

The new deconstructed Birkin doesn't really add anything of value. One might say, "oh but there is a pouch!" ... to me the pouch is not that attractive, and I could buy any one of hermes' many pouches and put it in my Birkin, or use as a clutch. So, the new design doesn't improve function all that much (if at all) and it takes away from the history of the bag.

The story of Jane Birkin and Dumas on the airplane is something that many Hermes lovers recall fondly. This new design, to me, takes away from the original goal and purpose of the Birkin. Again, I am old school and for me the Birkin will always be THE perfect bag.

My issue with an open Birkin is that it works as a tote but has no secured areas large enough for a wallet. Undoing/securing the sangles is fussy especially during check out. It looks like this can be attached inside by threading the sangles and then having a secured compartment where the flap hooks over the turnlock. Never would I use it as a clutch.