3/16/10 ARCHIVE: Authenticate This Hermes Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
This thread is for discussion on authenticity of Hermes bags.

Please follow the following rules:

• Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about Hermes, please refer to our reference section for such information. Finally, do not submit requests for something that is obviously a fake, e.g. the item says it is a replica, or a $200 Birkin.

• This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format for ALL requests (be it a public auction/private sale/gift/heirloom etc):

Item:
Listing number:
Seller:
Link:
Comments:​

• Authenticators are not required to answer every request, and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.

• Please include all pertinent details including provenance of the bag. Authenticators may also request additional pictures and/or information in order to assist with authentication. Please remember, it is always useful to have several close up pictures when submitting an item for authentication.

NOTE: In the absence of an auction listing (private sale situations), posters to this thread are encouraged to provide the following extra pictures, which need to be large and really sharp. More information on posting photos can be found here:
    http://forum.purseblog.com/feedback-dropbox/posting-photos-25.html
    It is recommended to use the macro function of the camera:

- Front view of bag
    - Zipper & its end
    - Hardware
    - Craftsman stamp on strap
    - Hermes stamp + Top stitching
    - Clear picture of the interior lining
    - Base of the handles
    - Side view of the strap guides

• Please do not intervene to confront a troll or rudeness on the boards, just use the REPORT function
    report.gif
    button to alert the mods, and let them handle it from there. In the meantime, just ignore the poster until a mod can intervene.

• Always be respectful when you post and treat others as you expect to be treated. This is an open thread and everyone is welcome to participate.

• Do NOT PM an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests must be posted in this thread.

Disclaimer

All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and are not to be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration via the forum's contact form.

AN IMPORTANT WORD ON FEEDBACK
Ladies (and gentlemen)--
When you are looking at a bag and thinking about bringing it here for the authenticators, part of your research should be into the seller's feedback.

While in the end it is all about the bag--feedback is, IMHO, critical. Why? Because even when you have legitimate images, if the feedback is suspicious you need to stop dead in your tracks. There is always the chance that the bag might not be in the seller's possession.

For example take the case wherethere is 0 selling history. You then look at the buying history. Lots of stuff--but NOTHING over $10. Most of this seller's buying history has been for items in the $1-$3 price range.

So what does this say? There is an all-too-typical pattern on eBay. Potential seller starts buying enough little things to amass modest but positive feedback. Seller suddenly emerges with a--drumroll--birkin in a coveted color. Red Flag!!

Speaking only for myself, I am going to suggest that posters take a minute to thoroughly investigate the feedback. No matter the images, I would never in a million years buy anything $$$ from someone who has only amassed this feedback history. I think I am right in assuming that it could very easily become a disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ My apology. I was reading the last 10 pages on the last thread but didn't see anything on them. I must have missed them. Thanks anyway. I'll look again.

I would like to add to the refresher of the *rules* in post #1, that requests be accompanied by any and all details about the provenance of the bag. Incomplete requests are more likely to be ignored, and having to ask for additional information (that might have been withheld knowingly or unknowingly) can be tiresome. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.