2nd thoughts on stone choice & necklace length of my current 15 motifs Vintage necklace

Lisa-SH

Lisa-SH
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
As you might remember. I bought the 10 motifs chalcedony Vintage Alhambra and the chalcedony 5 motifs bracelet to be a 15 motifs necklace. Since wearing a few times, first of all despite I like the blue/grey-ish stone color, it does not look nice enough directly on my skin. The color aura does not compliment my skin tone; Second of all, initially I felt 15 motifs would be the perfect length for my daily outwear, but now I realize it is still somewhat short. The reason is, I usually like to wear dress or top with a bow, or a top with a short Hermes silk scarf, then it turns out the 15 motifs necklace was totally being covered by the bow or scarf..

So I am thinking of exchanging my current necklace and bracelet to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP. The dilemma is, I like the chalcedony stone as it is, because of its unique color, so 1) shall I just get a 2" extender for make my current 15 motifs necklace longer; or 2) switching to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP. The price of my current two items is similar to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP so that I won't spend much fortune to do the exchange,

Before I was thinking of exchanging to 20 motifs chalcedony necklace directly, the SA told me it will take time to order again, plus the cost of switching to 20 motifs chalcedony is much more than just switching to 20 motifs WG MOP.

Just a side note that I am not big fan of wearing short necklace (10 motifs), also all other stones such as Onyx, Malachite, Carnelian...etc, I like their color on table but they don't look good on me.

What do you think what I shall do? Thanks & appreciate your opinion.

Hi Lisa, I have both the 20 MOP & 20 chalcedony and find myself choosing the latter more often because of the beauty of the stone, but if you feel it doesn't suit your skin tone then you may as well switch to MOP.
Some have managed to buy a very good matching extender on eBay (can get in different lengths), so any change wouldn't be permanent, if you wanted the extra length but still want to keep your options open. Could you try your 10+5 on with a piece of cotton at the back to make up the extra length, with one of your outfits with a bow or a hermes scarf so you can get an idea of what it would look like?

Reactions: Lisa-SH
Thought you didn't like MOP as much?

These are my thoughts and experience when I first started out. Like you I loved the chalcedony and loved the way it looked and stone color. It was beautiful. But when I looked at the cost and WG MOP, I had a harder time rationalizing it. And not to mention the WG MOP was more versatile overall. At the time I could get two 10 motifs WG MOP and a 5 motif WG MOP for the price of two 10 motif chalcedony. So I ended up buying both 10s and a 5 in WG MOP. The 5 motif is one of my most worn pieces til this day.

Fast forward to today. Prices have gone down on Alhambra and chalcedony is slowly being phased out. As you know, you can still get chalcedony but its getting harder and stock is less. I still love chalcedony a lot and have decided that if I don't get something in chalcedony I may regret it. So I am now heavily considering getting a chalcedony 5 motif. I tried on the 10 and it didn't wow me as much and the 20 is great but the price is too much for me. I thought the 5 motif looked better on me than a 10 or 20. Maybe the color being closer to my face is what makes it feel different vs just on your wrist.

So this is what I would suggest you consider. Keep the 5 motif chalcedony, return the 10 chalcedony if it really doesn't do enough for you or the color doesn't look great. BUT do either of the following:

- Buy a 5 motif WGMOP and a 10 motif WGMOP. This way you have so many options. Two 5s worn together as bracelets for stacking, combine a 5 & 10 WGMOP to get the mid length and you can still have a bracelet available or combine all 3 pieces to get a full 20 look.

or
- Buy a 5 motif WGMOP and add it to your 5 and 10 chalcedony and combine similarly.

I fear that if you get rid of all chalcedony, in a few years when you're itching for a chalcedony it will be gone and resale is the only way to get it. Not trying to put fear or pressure on you but if you really love chalcedony then waiting may not be an option.

Good luck deciding.

Last edited:

These are my thoughts and experience when I first started out. Like you I loved the chalcedony and loved the way it looked and stone color. It was beautiful. But when I looked at the cost and WG MOP, I had a harder time rationalizing it. And not to mention the WG MOP was more versatile overall. At the time I could get two 10 motifs WG MOP and a 5 motif WG MOP for the price of two 10 motif chalcedony. So I ended up buying both 10s and a 5 in WG MOP. The 5 motif is one of my most worn pieces til this day.

Fast forward to today. Prices have gone down on Alhambra and chalcedony is slowly being phased out. As you know, you can still get chalcedony but its getting harder and stock is less. I still love chalcedony a lot and have decided that if I don't get something in chalcedony I may regret it. So I am now heavily considering getting a chalcedony 5 motif. I tried on the 10 and it didn't wow me as much and the 20 is great but the price is too much for me. I thought the 5 motif looked better on me than a 10 or 20. Maybe the color being closer to my face is what makes it feel different vs just on your wrist.

So this is what I would suggest you consider. Keep the 5 motif chalcedony, return the 10 chalcedony if it really doesn't do enough for you or the color doesn't look great. BUT do either of the following:

- Buy a 5 motif WGMOP and a 10 motif WGMOP. This way you have so many options. Two 5s worn together as bracelets for stacking, combine a 5 & 10 WGMOP to get the mid length and you can still have a bracelet available or combine all 3 pieces to get a full 20 look.

or
- Buy a 5 motif WGMOP and add it to your 5 and 10 chalcedony and combine similarly.

I fear that if you get rid of all chalcedony, in a few years when you're itching for a chalcedony it will be gone and resale is the only way to get it. Not trying to put fear or pressure on you but if you really love chalcedony then waiting may not be an option.

Good luck deciding.

Thank you "dessert1st" and everyone else providing insight. So can you tell the difference when you wear 2 10 motifs WG MOP necklace, can you tell any difference from wearing 20 motifs WG MOP necklace? Are they exactly the same length?

As you might remember. I bought the 10 motifs chalcedony Vintage Alhambra and the chalcedony 5 motifs bracelet to be a 15 motifs necklace. Since wearing a few times, first of all despite I like the blue/grey-ish stone color, it does not look nice enough directly on my skin. The color aura does not compliment my skin tone; Second of all, initially I felt 15 motifs would be the perfect length for my daily outwear, but now I realize it is still somewhat short. The reason is, I usually like to wear dress or top with a bow, or a top with a short Hermes silk scarf, then it turns out the 15 motifs necklace was totally being covered by the bow or scarf..

So I am thinking of exchanging my current necklace and bracelet to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP. The dilemma is, I like the chalcedony stone as it is, because of its unique color, so 1) shall I just get a 2" extender for make my current 15 motifs necklace longer; or 2) switching to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP. The price of my current two items is similar to 20 motifs necklace in WG MOP so that I won't spend much fortune to do the exchange,

Before I was thinking of exchanging to 20 motifs chalcedony necklace directly, the SA told me it will take time to order again, plus the cost of switching to 20 motifs chalcedony is much more than just switching to 20 motifs WG MOP.

Just a side note that I am not big fan of wearing short necklace (10 motifs), also all other stones such as Onyx, Malachite, Carnelian...etc, I like their color on table but they don't look good on me.

Hi Lisa, I have both the 20 MOP & 20 chalcedony and find myself choosing the latter more often because of the beauty of the stone, but if you feel it doesn't suit your skin tone then you may as well switch to MOP.
Some have managed to buy a very good matching extender on eBay (can get in different lengths), so any change wouldn't be permanent, if you wanted the extra length but still want to keep your options open. Could you try your 10+5 on with a piece of cotton at the back to make up the extra length, with one of your outfits with a bow or a hermes scarf so you can get an idea of what it would look like?

Lisa, I agree with Jules. I don't think the Chalcedony works with your skin tone. Though I have never seen IRL, it looks like a difficult stone if you are too light-skinned, so it washes out opposed to standing out. KWIM?

I also think that you should go for the 20 MOP - hindsight is always 20/20. Otherwise, you will
keep wishing for it. I would have suggested adding another 10 Chalcedony but wouldn't for reason stated above.

Jules, are both your necklaces in WG? I would love to see comparison pics is you have any [emoji257]

or

Good luck deciding.

Dessert, sometimes our hearts want something that does not work in real life. I too am looking at the Chalcedony option but too afraid to bite the bullet. I would do a 20 though, since in pics it glows so much.

Need to try on and be sure. These items are too expensive to just settle.

Are you sure that you want to revisit white mop?
If so perhaps you may prefer a different gold than the one you had and exchanged for chalcedony.
Based on your experience I would suggest that you either purchase a second 10 motif or exchange both your 10 and the 5 (bracelet) for a 20.
Sometimes people try to get the longer necklace look by purchasing the 10 and the 5 when what they really want/need is a 20. While the first option may cost less initially it's never a true substitute.

Lisa, I agree with Jules. I don't think the Chalcedony works with your skin tone. Though I have never seen IRL, it looks like a difficult stone if you are too light-skinned, so it washes out opposed to standing out. KWIM?

I also think that you should go for the 20 MOP - hindsight is always 20/20. Otherwise, you will
keep wishing for it. I would have suggested adding another 10 Chalcedony but wouldn't for reason stated above.

Jules, are both your necklaces in WG? I would love to see comparison pics is you have any [emoji257]

Dessert, sometimes our hearts want something that does not work in real life. I too am looking at the Chalcedony option but too afraid to bite the bullet. I would do a 20 though, since in pics it glows so much.

Need to try on and be sure. These items are too expensive to just settle.
Thanks "HADASSA" and texasgirliegirl". very good insight. I feel like I am playing LEGO toy, trying to maneuver and connect piece by piece.:-s

Lisa, I had a similar issue with the chalcedony. I adore the stone, but near my face, it completely washes me out. I kept the bracelet and returned the 10 motif. as much as I love it off, it simply doesn't work near my face. I love the bracelet and I am thrilled that i have it. Perhaps consider keeping that and when you are absolutely sure what you want next, then use the store credit from the 10 motif. I don't know if it is your style, but try on the magic 6 motif necklace too since it also has a grey motif and a white motif to break up the chalcedony. good luck deciding!!

Anything for you @HADASSA !
First is with flash, second without.

View attachment 3697883View attachment 3697888

Thank you Jules [emoji257][emoji8]

Your 20 Chalcedony is gorgeous [emoji7] I can see why you reach for that more. I bet it can work well with neutrals.

I am torn, because I must behave and save for next year's Limited Edition piece(s). I am hoping it will be something really worth collecting.

as I stated in one of your other bracelet posts, from the photo, I prefer the mop on you better. It's better suited against your skin tone and has a glow that the chalcedony doesn't have.
I don't know if you should be making a decision on what to pick right away, it seems your a bit confused at what you really want. I've seen your post on going from yg mop to wg chalcedony back to wg mop and, no offense, but it shouldn't take 3 changes to know what you love. Situations like this shouldn't be made with a rash decision to settle....perhaps, give yourself some time to digest and try it on from time to time within the next month or so and see what your heart truly desires. These pieces aren't going anywhere, take your time to decide.

Last edited:
VCA purchases can be difficult. So many beautiful choices of WG vs. YG and with all the choices in stones, it can be confusing. With the price point of these beautiful necklaces you have to chose wisely, unless you plan to grow your necklace collection. I can tell you that I went for 20 motif WG MOP and also purchased the 5 motif WG MOP bracelet to pair with the 20 motif, as I like long necklaces. Although not as interesting as chalcedony, the MOP goes with everything and there is something to be said for that. Although I am purchasing a lot of earrings, I have no interest in purchasing another 20 motif necklace, simply because the MOP does everything I need. Go with what goes best for you and your skin type. I purchased the WG turquoise vintage earclips simply because they were available and rare to find - but honestly, I hate the way they look on me and I rarely wear them. So although a hard to find stone, it may not mean much if it doesn't compliment you. xo