2nd BalNY Visit

Dec 20, 2006
After visiting a costume design studio in Manhattan for class this morning I decided to take advantage of my close proximity to Balenciaga (I was already on West 22nd St.) and just go. I got there just before the doors opened at 11 AM and waited at the door with a Parson's student who was carrying the same bag as myself (a black Work). I looked at all the clothing and then tried a bunch of bags including a black Weekender, men's (pewter hardware) ink Weekender, Turquoise GGH Weekender, argent Weekender, ruby Work, and saddle Work. The SA was mostly unfamiliar with the colors and tried to pass off Saddle as Sienna and Argent as Sandstone. I corrected her a few times; I think she got a little angry at me. After that I tried on some of the booties from the fall collection. Apparently their shoes run extremely small and I'm a size 40 there compared to my usual 38.5. Then I tried on the lamb's leg sleeve jacket from the fall show in black, a partially quilted leather jacket, and a really bad ass vest. It was heaven. EDIT: I also tried the black croc weekender which was not really special at all. It was stiff and boring.. not really worth $28k.

OOOOH. There was a HUGE detail I left out. I went with a girl that's in my class who happens to own TWO Bal fakes that she says are real. Today she was carrying her fake GGH anthra brief with one of the studs missing. I didn't know whether or not to warn her before we went in and wound up saying nothing to avoid being rude - and in the store I did my best to look like I didn't know her well. Anyways, she wound up sitting next to me while one of the SAs got all the bags I asked for. Oddly enough, the SAs didn't say anything to her or give her any dirty looks.. they didn't seem to notice!!

I think both Daphne and Kim were there. The woman who helped me with bags was pregnant (I think). The none pregnant of the two had a semi mohawk thing (it was cute) and was wearing the flat studded gladiator sandals (gorgeous!).

The lamb's leg sleeve jacket I tried on. The shape isn't extremely flattering, but it's so different and beautiful.
try2.jpg

The SHOES I tried on. :heart:
try.jpg

The leather jacket I tried on. I'm a size 0/27 in jeans - I'm TINY - and could not zip this up. :wtf:
try3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. That's Daisy who is pregnant. She's my fave sa there and knows me pretty well now.

I THINK the one with the semi mohawk is Kim. Kinda shaved at the back and sides and long up top. Dark hair. Piercing eyes? Quite straight forward in manner?

I CAN'T believe your friend had a fake bbag in there with a stud missing. I'm positive the sa's would have seen it. Why wouldn't they. But they have no reason to let on to either of you that they noticed. It would be completely unprofessional too.

I tried on a fitted blazer a few wks ago in there. It was STUNNING ON ME. Mega sharp tailoring. The shoulders almost came up to a point at the end. LOVED IT. Shame it was 1500.

Last time I was there approx 3 weeks ago, my gf tried on a couple of their shoes which looked amazing on.

I dream of trying on that full length black strapless lace gown displayed on a mannequin in one of their alcoves...

Thanks for sharing! THe shoes and jackets you tried on are sublime! But can't believe you couldn't even zip up the leather jacket considering how tiny you are!!! :wtf:

I may be going in for a first visit soon so was curious: are there a good selection of bbags on display or do I pretty much have to ask for what I want to see... In general interested in some newer colors and perhaps one or two in last year's colors.

That whole leather jacket experience you mentioned is hilarious! I'm the same size as you, and when I went to Barney's to try on a pair of Lanvin knee high flat patent leather boots, I saw on a mannequin a Bal Moto Jacket. It was so stunning that I had to try it on. Well forget about fitting into a small! There was no way a 36 was getting zipped up without me suffocating. I tried on a 38 and it felt pretty similar, and a size 40 felt better but wasn't so flattering. Well I thought about it, went back and got the 38 in the end. I couldn't resist! Thank God I waited though. When I went back they had brought more colors in, and I ended up getting a beautiful medium to light grey!

Karenab - Daisy was helpful with the exception of her limited knowledge of seasonal colors. I think she got offended I pointed out she was wrong so many times. :shrugs: I was actually hoping the SAs would say something (or better yet, confiscate it) because this girl is either extremely naive or straight up lying to everyone. I think she's lying because she started talking about the season of her bags and how they soften up after she listened to the conversations going on between myself and other customers and the SAs. But yeah, the jackets there always have the most flatteringly fitted shoulders and narrow sleeves. The jackets are usually boyish, which would be great for me if I wasn't a poor college student.

Mintpearl - You really need to ask. They do have the current season's bags out but not all of the styles/hardware combos/etc.

Demi - their classic moto jackets are TDF!!! I would consider trading my bag for a jacket if they were of the same value - which they definitely are not.

Karenab - Daisy was helpful with the exception of her limited knowledge of seasonal colors. I think she got offended I pointed out she was wrong so many times. :shrugs: I was actually hoping the SAs would say something (or better yet, confiscate it) because this girl is either extremely naive or straight up lying to everyone. I think she's lying because she started talking about the season of her bags and how they soften up after she listened to the conversations going on between myself and other customers and the SAs. But yeah, the jackets there always have the most flatteringly fitted shoulders and narrow sleeves. The jackets are usually boyish, which would be great for me if I wasn't a poor college student.

Mintpearl - You really need to ask. They do have the current season's bags out but not all of the styles/hardware combos/etc.

Demi - their classic moto jackets are TDF!!! I would consider trading my bag for a jacket if they were of the same value - which they definitely are not.

Purplekicks: OH i love that jacket!! How much are they do you happen to know? Sorry I don't live in US, and am no where near a Bal boutique but I can get someone to help me buy it..

Kim doesn't have the mohawky hair and glad sandals - I think that is Daphne. I have seen her in her gladiator sandals before too and recognize the demeanor you described. Kim is the SA I work with when I am in there - she is a bit taller than Daphne and has shorter dark hair as well, but softer looking. Very friendly and a bit gentler? - don't know how else to say it :smile:

Kim doesn't have the mohawky hair and glad sandals - I think that is Daphne. I have seen her in her gladiator sandals before too and recognize the demeanor you described. Kim is the SA I work with when I am in there - she is a bit taller than Daphne and has shorter dark hair as well, but softer looking. Very friendly and a bit gentler? - don't know how else to say it :smile:

Your right sorry! I MEANT to say Daphne. I know what Kim looks like. She's taller.

Thanks for the clear up. Daphne's hair cut is much more severe.

Ahhh. I think Kim was then there, as well because I did see a taller girl with a cropped hair cut.

I think the leather jacket was $2,500 ish. The leather jackets are made very well - oddly enough, the RTW isn't finished in the most high quality way - but all the .edition clothing looks great.

The jacket is $2695 and A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I really can't wait to break it in...just thinking about it getting as soft and smooshy as a broken in bag is too much to handle! Plus I get a bunch of comments on it everywhere I go, it's truly a show stopper!

Those pictures are great, i felt like i was shopping with you, you are so funny pretending you weren't with your friend, hilarious!! (and you did very well not to mention her bag:smile: